Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 20 Discussion

It wouldn't have changed the fact that Vavau lost, but they would have been fairly distributed/absorbed into the other two tribes. Who knows, Snapple might still have gone on to dominate but surely it wouldn't have been 100% one sided...
Survivor (and it's title is a give-away) isn't about fairness. Never has been.

Keen as. Stuck in time, residing in the Wild West. Our folk reckon daylight savings sucks. We've got enough ozone layer free sun to bask in, don't need more daylight. Tan is Propah.

But when it comes to TV broadcasting, I feel like we really are an independent state. A bunch of cowboys, stickin it to the man over east, soooo far away. 3 hours. Where's that time machine at.
See here in Cambodia, even though I'm four hours behind AEDT, I use this newfangled internet thingy to watch the show.

You don't think they added in the challenge to get another player from the other tribe at the last minute to try to balance things or at least save Phoebe?

You don't think they created the exile beach just to try to get an idol in play and maybe change things up?

These were both last ditch chances to try to change the game. At least that is how I saw it.
But it's not a fact. It might have been decided months before the game started that they were going to do "this" at week *whatever* and then "this" on this week. Assuming that the show is changed for certain players isn't logical, because when it comes to the end, they really don't have control on how people choose to vote.

You don't think they added in the challenge to get another player from the other tribe at the last minute to try to balance things or at least save Phoebe?

You don't think they created the exile beach just to try to get an idol in play and maybe change things up?

These were both last ditch chances to try to change the game. At least that is how I saw it.
Yep, they tinkered but they completely missed their cue to swap them up completely until it was too late :(

Keen as. Stuck in time, residing in the Wild West. Our folk reckon daylight savings sucks. We've got enough ozone layer free sun to bask in, don't need more daylight. Tan is Propah.

But when it comes to TV broadcasting, I feel like we really are an independent state. A bunch of cowboys, stickin it to the man over east, soooo far away. 3 hours. Where's that time machine at.
This is a thread for Survivor Au. I'm sure there are other threads that may suit you better.

I see it now as JLP trying to get people to do something to break up the alliance, but no-one is getting the hint he drops every single time, whatever that hint may be at the time. Will the idol from Exile be used at all now? Has Lee forgotten his advantage and if not, has he told anyone he has it? Playing an idol protects you from everyone in theory and playing the nullify card, if the wrong person is selected, nullifies the nullify.

Will the idol from Exile be used at all now? Has Lee forgotten his advantage and if not, has he told anyone he has it? Playing an idol protects you from everyone in theory and playing the nullify card, if the wrong person is selected, nullifies the nullify.
I think everyone assumed Lee's advantage was an idol clue. I don't think they've showed him telling anyone about it so maybe nobody knows? Will be a huge disappointed if he doesn't have a go with it!

Nobody looked for the idol at Exile Beach :(

If there's a reward challenge tomorrow, will there will be a hidden idol clue?
I wonder if they ever get a family visits/challenge or were the letters from home enough...

...oh yeah Lee sure... so the half million means nothing to you then?... good!... you can go tonight then you lying dimwit!... cheers.

El's survivor profiles says if she won she would donate of the winnings (maybe Lee is trying to impress her?)
http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/australian-survivor/castaways/el

El has already planned how she would split her winnings and says: “I’m going to give 10% to five of my favourite charities – Wounded Heroes, Cams Cause, Young Veterans, Ex Stone Pillow and Veteran’s Health – and another 10% to a charity I have to decide on. Then I will put some away for my son and perhaps throw a bash to celebrate. I will go on a crazy holiday then probably invest the two dollars that are left.”

Australian-Survivor-Episode-20-Memory-Lane-Immunity-Challenge---Matt.jpg

Australian-Survivor-Episode-20-Memory-Lane-Immunity-Challenge---Brooke-Wins-and-Host-Jonathan-LaPaglia2.jpg

AustralianSurvivorEpisode20TribalCouncilJuryNickKylieandSue.jpg

Australian-Survivor-Episode-20-Tribal-Council---Jennah-Louise-Leaves2.jpg

http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/australian-survivor/photos/ep-20-photos#7

But it's not a fact. It might have been decided months before the game started that they were going to do "this" at week *whatever* and then "this" on this week. Assuming that the show is changed for certain players isn't logical, because when it comes to the end, they really don't have control on how people choose to vote.

They are desperately attempting to create an entertaining tv show with drama and dynamics the audience will watch. Of course they make changes. They make changes in US Survivor too. It's part of creating a reality to show.

Ridiculous... Whh not al least try something. JL could have told Lee her and Kristie would vote for Flick. Then up to Lee and El If they want to make a move against old Snapple

...hey Daz... you only joined on Friday?... welcome to the forums my friend... it's always great to have someone's new opinions on here... hope that you enjoy our madness in here lol!... again... welcome aboard... cheers.

They are desperately attempting to create an entertaining tv show with drama and dynamics the audience will watch. Of course they make changes. They make changes in US Survivor too. It's part of creating a reality to show.
I don't think they do with Survivor, the dramas and dynamics happen naturally when people are hungry and cold and can't really trust anyone fully. On BB, and shows like it, yeah, they have to create the drama's or they'll all just sit around and sing kumbaya. Survivor is very different because you cannot predict human nature under these conditions. It may not go the way they expected, but do you really think they can't spin it into a show anyway after the fact? This isn't a live show, they get to edit it the way they want to, but, I've never thought they've changed things up in order to make it end like they would like it to. I haven't liked a lot of the past winners, some of which most people haven't, how is that good ratings?

I don't think they do with Survivor, the dramas and dynamics happen naturally when people are hungry and cold and can't really trust anyone fully. On BB, and shows like it, yeah, they have to create the drama's or they'll all just sit around and sing kumbaya. Survivor is very different because you cannot predict human nature under these conditions. It may not go the way they expected, but do you really think they can't spin it into a show anyway after the fact? This isn't a live show, they get to edit it the way they want to, but, I've never thought they've changed things up in order to make it end like they would like it to. I haven't liked a lot of the past winners, some of which most people haven't, how is that good ratings?
I see the exile beach thing and the grab a tribe member thing as completely bolted on at the last minute to change the drama.
They absolutely do the same thing in US Survivor- but they learned long ago to plan swaps so this doesn't happen.

Heck just last season they came up with an eliminate a juror twist because they had too many medivacs and not enough people left. They used what would have been an immunity challenge for that event. Because Michelle won, everyone on the jury knew that she would have eliminated Aubrey if the challenge had been for immunity and it helped her win the game.
(Just last episode they had a bolted on summit probably caused by the cyclone interfering with their plans and to probably give people a chance to look for the idol which we saw on the beach. No one understands what the purpose was exactly because it was so clearly tacked on.)

They have to create a tv show so of course they interfere. This season went from fantastic to the most predictable last 7 boots. With the overhyping of the ads, it's no wonder people are complaining. I expect we may see more interference before the end. Having the host spell out where they stand week after week is just another way production interferes.

There was a podcast on Survivor historians that went through all the changes production made to try to shift the Cook Islands season because of the way the racial divide was playing out. They almost canceled the season and paid everyone off. CBS was freaking out and production did a number of unusual twists that haven't been seen since.

Last edited:
Pretty boring result to the episode considering it was getting hyped up to be someone different going on. They had the numbers to make the move now and it seemed to make sense. El going would have been welcome, even the other option Lee as he said he didn't care about winning the money, and so I suppose winning in general.

Funny remarks as usual - Matt apparently has started to make big moves (says Lee), it's so hard to scheme (Sam), this planned move (not even seen this episode) is apparently the biggest move ever in Survivor history, Kristie saying being vulnerable can be the best position in the game, Lee is supposedly sacrificing himself for Kristie, at tribal Flick says she's part of the alliance and then says she doesn't know where she stands.

I thought Kristie knew the vote was getting split last tribal and here she acts like it's just woke her up. I do feel her confessionals sound particularly scripted. It's like she's getting built up somewhat as she goes reasonably far, and there needs to be some reason for that.

Again I thought the music was overdone to pinpoint the end of the challenge and even the speech of JL before the vote here.

...so if Lee was the one to be going tonight does that mean that he can nullify that result and they all have to vote again?... I'm confused... cheers.

Nearly all advantages have to be played before the vote is revealed (otherwise it's thought too powerful), and I'd expect the same with this. If so that means he could have and should have been blindsided this episode if they really were talking about doing it at this point.

I don't know why everyone is thinking Lee is going?
On the preview there is a clip of him talking about tribal that we haven't seen yet.

That's one of the reasons I don't watch previews and don't want to hear about them then.

I wouldn't say it's disappointing, this is a more civilized version of Lord of the Flies in a lot of respects. If you don't think you have the numbers, you vote with the groupthinking.

The US Big Brother is even more like that, but on Survivor people are often ready to make moves more and just try and survive over everyone else rather than just depend on a large group.

But also, the resistance didn't organize. Nick didn't join with Sue and JL and vice versa. Kate tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen.

Kate would never ally with Nick and the same for Sue, JL and some others. He was one who might have changed things at some point when he didn't feel secure.

The idol's at Exile Beach... but they never got sent back there to look for it again

The idol can be repositioned anywhere, and probably will be at some point to stir things.

Reality is, the only "good" game is the one you win.

I don't really agree, juries can be bitter and a winner can be someone who just slides by. Other ways of playing the game can be considered successful if they get someone right up to the end even if they don't win in my opinion.

...Sam's paranoia is really setting in now isn't it?... suffer you twonk!... suffer!... cheers.

Sam has had paranoia for ages, just look at how he was frightened of Nick.

I think next tribal is the last time Lee can use his advantage? Or maybe the next two? Can he use it until final 5?
All the more reason he should have used it tonight.

If they'd gone through with the plan to blindside Lee and El tonight that four is an alliance I could have got behind, even though I hated them as part of a bigger alliance. Similarly if Lee and El had caught on and teamed up with Kristie and JL to do damage in the other direction that is something which would have been worthy of support too - indeed that would have made things interesting with two sides going after each other for really the first time all season.

Of course though nothing actually happened and it was the same old routine of those on the outside being picked off. Agree the two tribe stage of the game ruined the series - and also the fake tribal council with the swaps which screwed over Aganoa too - had that double eviction been genuine it would have been a whole different game.

I think next tribal is the last time Lee can use his advantage? Or maybe the next two? Can he use it until final 5?
All the more reason he should have used it tonight.

My memory was he can use his advantage up until and including final five? It's good everyone has (I guess) assumed it was the idol clue for the idol Nick found. I wonder if he's told El he's got this secret power? He [/could/] swing a good blindside with it, if he does his numbers well, if he ever gets the guts up, etc. My feeling is he'll hang onto it until he's gone himself.

There are seven people left. I think he should use it sooner rather than later, because that block of four will gun him out.

edit to add: if he'd used it last night in the way @Brekkie described, preferably nullifying Brooke or Flick's vote :), that would have put a rocket up them and could have sent one of them home. I think he's too loyal and too nervous and too value-bound to do that.

Back