Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Peter has an absolutely beautiful voice. He had room to grow. I feel like they had a checklist of who they wanted to put through for the whole top 12 and just put them through regardless of extreme pitch problems and shouty singing, like Harry last night, and Noora with that floppy vibrato tonight. HCJ's touchdown was excellent.

I’m catching up on last nights idol. I haven’t really been a huge fan of HCJ as a judge, but the way he directed the band to play the crescendo to giving his touchdown was really great and turned what has been a little bit of an awkward moment into a pretty cool thing. There’s no denying his musical knowledge.

So they didn't but through the bloke who keeled over - the only one who individually has got any kind of publicity really.

This is the stage where the show goes big or limps home and everything is pointing to the second. Trouble is it's not even flopping hard enough to be talked about - it's just an insignificance. It probably has done enough to get a second season which Seven can either burn off against MAFS or push to later in the year to give it more of a chance (meaning sacrificing another new show).

Some hit and misses, won't spoil, but the voting lines are OPEN!
333565719_232081169154424_209580255192266432_n.jpg

Enjoyed tonight's show yet again...yes, there were some hits and misses but that is what makes it more interesting.

I decided to score each contestant out of five...I'm not sure that it worked very well though because I ended up with one four and a half, six fours, one three and a half and four threes. I think I need to listen to them all again! But I'm not sure I have the time...

I thought they were mostly quite good, but there are an easy two I could lose (Harry and Ben), and I wouldn't stress too much about losing Sash or Noora either.

Jasey was the best imo, along with Royston, Phoebe and Angelina.

Kyle said some really horrible things tonight.

So SMS voting only - and to a full number? I thought you had shorter codes for voting - certainly did back in the Big Brother days.

No app or free online voting then, but at least it looks like it's standard rates rather than Seven trying to make money off it. I suspect the voting numbers will be significantly lower than in the Ten days, and not just down to the lower ratings too. How did Idol voting numbers compare to Big Brother back in the day?

I thought they were mostly quite good, but there are an easy two I could lose (Harry and Ben), and I wouldn't stress too much about losing Sash or Noora either.

Jasey was the best imo, along with Royston, Phoebe and Angelina.

Kyle said some really horrible things tonight.
Mostly my thoughts too.

Jasey was surprisingly solid. As was Ben, again. Phoebe was the absolute standout. Noora was terrible. Maya sings well but picks such horrible songs. Poor song choice by Anya, I thought. Everyone else had pitch problems to one degree or another. I thought Harry improved on his last outing, even with the bum notes. It must be so nerve-wracking for them all.

I think Kyle says horrible things, because that's his role, and also to stir up the audience to vote for the person he just shat on.

I hope Anya, Sash, and Ben get through.

Phoebe & Angelina are great. I'm really sorry, but I just can't get on the Royston train. I'm just not hearing what everyone else is hearing.

Some really terrible song choices this week. Doesn't someone overlook it and say 'mmm, nah' ?

Also not 100% a fan of the immunity thing. The public need to decide - the Judges can't carry through their favourite til the end, that's not how it's supposed to be.

Also, unlimited voting!? That won't end well.

Ricki-Lee doing a brilliant job as always. Also Amy Shark is doing great as well, her feedback is pretty good and seems the most genuine. Kyle is just being Kyle. Meghan drives me fucking mental. HCJ - ugh. I hope he's not back next year. Bring back Marcia!

Also not 100% a fan of the immunity thing. The public need to decide - the Judges can't carry through their favourite til the end, that's not how it's supposed to be.
Yes, I think it's designed to avoid another Ricki Lee situation, as she herself pointed out. But it's interfering with the process, and potentially someone could be rigged through to the final who the public don't even like.
Meghan drives me fucking mental. HCJ - ugh. I hope he's not back next year. Bring back Marcia!
She is so affected. The baby voice and screaming, and everyone is her favourite.

He is incredibly condescending and self-righteous.
Like when he took time out to explain something blindingly obvious to us poor non-musical idiots at home.

Also Amy Shark is doing great as well, her feedback is pretty good and seems the most genuine. Kyle is just being Kyle. Meghan drives me fucking mental. HCJ - ugh. I hope he's not back next year. Bring back Marcia!
I agree Kyle is just being Kyle. But find Amy Shark so insincere. Especially since she said during the auditions that when she is enjoying a song she's just smiling, and now she bangs on this tense little fake smile when some of them are singing if she notes the camera is on her. Harry is the best as he provides actual constructive criticism and understands his craft sufficiently well to break down where they are going right or wrong. I actually enjoy Meghan's dumb voices, her humour and her warmth. I'd like Marcia back, also, but to replace Amy Shark.

So I found the top 12 show on DailyMotion… For me it wasn’t great. Out of the 12 I found myself thinking a lot of the signing was very karaoke and that there wasn’t much in terms of critique when it was.

The only person I was actually blown away by was Josh. If you’re going to sing the original arrangement you’ve got to at least hit at the same level as the original if not better. IMO he was just slightly better. 2nd for me was Anya. I have to give her credit for doing something different even though she didn’t quite hit the mark. There were at least three or four that were complete unwatchable. The rest of the group weren’t terrible I could find better covers on YouTube,

I agree Kyle is just being Kyle. But find Amy Shark so insincere. Especially since she said during the auditions that when she is enjoying a song she's just smiling, and now she bangs on this tense little fake smile when some of them are singing if she notes the camera is on her. Harry is the best as he provides actual constructive criticism and understands his craft sufficiently well to break down where they are going right or wrong. I actually enjoy Meghan's dumb voices, her humour and her warmth. I'd like Marcia back, also, but to replace Amy Shark.
Both Amy and Meghan fall in to the nice lady judge troupe. Meghan is trying to be the next Paula Abdul and Amy seemed to afraid to be anything but nice. For once I’d actually like to see a female judge dish out honest critiques.

My thoughts.

Jasey - very theatrical, he’s got the moves of a 90’s boy and member sometimes. I actually think this was my fave out of all his performances so far. 4/5

Angelina - she has the sweetest smile. Not my favourite performance, her vocal isn’t strong enough for Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing. Not the best song choice. I think Kyle was right to say it was nice and she’s excellent, but not sure if it’s gonna cut it. 3/5

Maya - I like the tone of Maya’s voice. But this performance didn’t draw me to her like her top 24 pick. I kind of agree with Kyle. 3.5/5

Josh - I think Josh is very marketable. I really enjoyed this performance. Good range and tone, interesting voice. 4.5/5 🤩

Amali - a bit pitchy, but again someone I think is very marketable. It was a good song choice. 4/5

Ben - huge song. It kinda surprises me every time how much I like Ben. However his performance was a bit too karaoke for me. 3/5

Noorah - I thinks she’s very overrated and shouldn’t really be in the top 12. Very pitchy. Out of her depth unfortunately. Seems like a lovely person. Judges comments are way too good. 1/5

Harry - way overrated. Unfortunately diversity and representation ≠ talent. Should never have been put through to Top 12. Imo he took Coopers spot… I’m still a bit salty about that. The performance was messy and pitchy. He sacrifices a good performance trying to create a “moment”. Kyle was spot on. A disappointing disaster. Amy preempting that the judges might save him. Ugh. 0/5 for me.

Anya - I agree with all the judges performances. She’s usually great. Poor song choice, or arrangement rather. Not fantastic tonight but I think in other performances she’s been good enough to get through. 2.5/5 for tonight.

Sash - I really like Sash and I thoroughly enjoyed that performance. I’m okay with him doing the song straight. Sometimes it’s hard to please the judges. 4/5 for me.

Phoebe - I’ll be super happy if Phoebe wins this. She’s got a great voice and is still so young so has plenty of time to develop into an incredible artist. Imagine the songs she will sing after she’s been through some real life experiences. Australia’s own Adele? 4.5/5 🤩

Royston - great song choice. Great performance. 4.4/5 only slightly below Josh and Phoebe for me, but definitely top 3!

Back