Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

"Biggest Idol audience in the world". Yeah, right!
Surely that would be easily debunked if not true. Apparently the Coliseum holds 2200. The stage took up some of the seats and I’m terrible at guessing these kinds of things but I would have said there were at least 1500 in the audience the night I went.

I’m so excited watching tonight’s show and it’s only a few minutes in. It feels live and I actually don’t think it matters that it’s not.

The stage looks incredible on screen 🤩 and they are using the idol theme generously!!! The live band sound just as good as they did in person.

I am hopeful but not that optimistic that the ratings will go much further north of where they have been. But imo they deserve better ratings. I think they are doing it right. Close enough to the original format that still feels fresh.

Royston is very good. But I reckon I know who will win the whole thing (not necessarily my favourite). But that person will be on tomorrow night 😜 haha

Noah a bit overhyped. I agree with Kyle. Performance a bit flat.

Ok I’m jumping over the Survivor. I’ll watch the rest afterwards haha.

Love
I’m so excited watching tonight’s show and it’s only a few minutes in. It feels live and I actually don’t think it matters that it’s not.

The stage looks incredible on screen 🤩 and they are using the idol theme generously!!! The live band sound just as good as they did in person.
1000%!! tonight was such a step up, not the overproduced crap we usually get with 7. It almost gave me nostalgia for how good Aussie TV used to be...
Anyways, I'm pretty happy with those who got through tonight, a little sad for Piper and James
So excited if this is how Australian Idol is going forward! 🤩 ❤️

It was a good show tonight, and I mainly agreed with the judges, even Kyle.

I think two of the four who got through were excellent, and one was was rubbish, but there was no one in the 4 who missed out that I will particularly miss.

I had a phone call after Survivor and now it’s too late for me so will watch the rest tomorrow. So pleased to see other people loving this. From the first half hour it looks to me like 7 haven’t messed around with the editing in any noticeable ways. It was filmed as if live and looks like they kept it that way for broadcast (so I don’t think it’s going to matter that when it gets to final 12 that the performance shows will be filmed a day in advance. I think it’s easier to get audience to turn up for a Saturday night).

Huge thumbs up for me. It felt nostalgic. It’s a shame more people aren’t watching!

I’m most excited for Tuesdays show in a way as I saw the results of tonight’s show when I went to the taping of tomorrows show so I obviously know the results of tomorrow also. Tuesday will be completely new for me 😍

It was a good show tonight, and I mainly agreed with the judges, even Kyle.

I think two of the four who got through were excellent, and one was was rubbish, but there was no one in the 4 who missed out that I will particularly miss.
Ploise explain Megs...who was rubbish in your opinion? Just interested...

Haha! I quite liked Ben's performance...the guy can sing but he really doesn't fit the "rock god" image imo ...so I agree with you.

Agree about Royston and Amali. I also think Anya deserved her place in the top twelve but I'm not sure it was "touchdown" worthy?

Haha! I quite liked Ben's performance...the guy can sing but he really doesn't fit the "rock god" image imo ...so I agree with you.

Agree about Royston and Amali. I also think Anya deserved her place in the top twelve but I'm not sure it was "touchdown" worthy?
I agree, I think maybe they are jumping the gun a bit in their eagerness to give touchdowns.
Save it until it really means something.

Had to look up the "touchdowns" as seen them mentioned so much in this but not aware of them in other versions. Seems they've turned what was basically a Paul Hollywood handshake originally (high praise, but not a format point) into something more akin to the Got Talent Golden Buzzer.

Probably better as a format point - as someone not familar with the intricacies of the original having watched a performance deemed worthy of one (Anthony Callea and The Prayer) it seemed pretty embarrassing, something the judge did to put the attention on himself rather than on the performer.

I'm still hearing Ben's performance. He's awkward looking, but what a voice. Pink hair was the standout for me in the women. Beautiful tone.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with the audition shows, which I gave up on after four, even with fastforwarding, as they slung all the same stuff into the intro packages for each singer - which I again fastforwarded.

There was one singer and then a mass of ads, I was hoping for a snappier show. So much fastforwarding! But the staging and band is slick, so I am glad they invested in all of that for this revival. Amy Shark did the worst limp little selfconscious half-cocked touchdown in history. Of course she had to be the first one to do it this season!

Anya! Wow. I already knew she got the touchdown as they talked about it the next night when I was there. She was pretty incredible. I reckon she deserved the touchdown.

Even though the touchdown imo means nothing, if a little bit awkward in person and again now that I’ve seen it on screen. It’s no golden buzzer moment and I doubt it affects the competition in any meaningful way. The judges would have put her through anyway haha. Anyas response made it less awkward than the way I felt it went in the next episode.

There are 2 touchdowns tonight which means only one left tomorrow.

Back