Skip to main content

Audience laughing at sam because of his mobility issue/disability

A person can have a disability and be independent. Still, sometimes there are things that they need help with. That's not patronising, that's just reality. They may have consulted with him and he said he doesn't need help with the stairs, but if they didn't offer him any modifications or assistance at all then that's very dodgy of the producers.

A person can have a disability and be independent. Still, sometimes there are things that they need help with. That's not patronising, that's just reality. They may have consulted with him and he said he doesn't need help with the stairs, but if they didn't offer him any modifications or assistance at all then that's very dodgy of the producers.
The guy is a gold medal Superathlete and is having no dramas with the stairs.

Common sense would suggest you would have to assume they did, but in saying that he seems to be more mobile than some able-bodied people that are just unfit.

I don't think was supposed to be malicious - it is no different to people laughing at Travis for being a bit slow at times - that entire fake stretch fitness thing was laughing AT him, at BB's direction.

These guys made a choice to come on national TV, you can't expect 100% positive or well thought out crowd reactions. He doesn't need our sympathy, and I am pretty sure he would tell you that too. This thread is almost more insulting than laughing at him struggling down the stairs - like we need to protect him or something.

I wouldn't dwell on this too much; crowds are only as smart as the average, and the average is stupid.
Thank heavens for a more balanced view on this.
Yes, some did laugh at it; Sam has walked the stairs many times & not stumbled so the fact he had a little trouble could have been amusing to some. I bet even he'd agree with that.
Sam has put himself in the house; no doubt the producers would have checked if there were any limitations on his mobility (and frankly I doubt there would have been with his fitness & agility) So the first question I would ask is "why do people think they know better than anyone else about the limitations other people have, be they classed as disabled or not?"
Secondly, put someone else in that scenario (going up the stairs quickly); let's say someone with big boobs (still a physical attribute) would that be funny? Would it be cruel if anyone laughed?
Honestly, different people on different wavelengths will laugh at different things. He didn't hear it so it hasn't hurt him; and as I said had he seen it he would have chuckled too because he was overkeen to get up there.

It truly is the biggest insult to say that 'things have to be modified' for someone who has adapted quite well to the world of 2 legged people. I haven't seen or heard anyone in the house be negative toward him at all, just honest curiosity. I'm sure anyone with an artificial limb would say similar to " it's ok to talk about it, it's part of who I am".

I heard that, and was so upset by it. Shame on all the people in the audience really.

The laughter probably came from the morbidly obese section...no education on proper diet or manners

I receive a lot of emails from people who think this is the official Big Brother website.

And 95% of them start like this: "I want to take my daughter to a live show"

So that answers why the audience are so abhorrent in their reactions.

... It truly is the biggest insult to say that 'things have to be modified' for someone who has adapted quite well to the world of 2 legged people. I haven't seen or heard anyone in the house be negative toward him at all, just honest curiosity. I'm sure anyone with an artificial limb would say similar to " it's ok to talk about it, it's part of who I am".

I was just wondering if the producers considered if he needed modifications or assistance for his disability. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But it's something they should consider in a house with stairs where a person with a disability is living. That was my point.

I receive a lot of emails from people who think this is the official Big Brother website.

And 95% of them start like this: "I want to take my daughter to a live show".

Do you reply, good for you.

And keep an eye out for @Goon the popcorn seller. :p

It's Usher now. Or maybe Ninja after @Goon sneaking past/dodging an interview at a live show.

ZOMG: He got a promotion, all his hard work paid off.

You do mean this
images
Usher and not this one
images

And 95% of them start like this: "I want to take my daughter to a live show"

So that answers why the audience are so abhorrent in their reactions.

nnnn expose some

I was just wondering if the producers considered if he needed modifications or assistance for his disability. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But it's something they should consider in a house with stairs where a person with a disability is living. That was my point.
I believe as professionals in their field, their Workplace Health & Safety team would have this covered.
And I am quite sure Sam can handle letting them know if this was the case. Often people who HAVE adapted to 'normal' hazards don't want to 'stand out' by having modifications just for them.

But your post is showing exactly what my point was - why does 'joe public' who is not a professional in this field think that 'all bases have not been covered'? It's a no brainer first step in this situation, one I am sure was dealt with a long time ago.

To me this whole topic is really another 'nit pick' at the show; at least I hope it is because as said before, it's pretty degrading for all involved esp Sam.

I have just watched last nights episode and noted this thread while watching. Personally, I don't think the laughters was directed at Sam but at Ryan's nomination about his nose pick while nominating another for bad manners? It jumped so quickly from Ryan to Sam that my thoughts were the laughter was still continuing from Big Brothers witty comment.

I just thought that all the little kids in the auditorium should be eradicated. When the camera panned across the crowd shortly afterwards, I felt nothing but CONTEMPT for the little shits. PAST YOUR BED TIME.

The only scenario I can see Sam in not being able to take care of himself due to his disability is a zombie apocalypse. I would totally use him as a human shield.

I believe as professionals in their field, their Workplace Health & Safety team would have this covered.
And I am quite sure Sam can handle letting them know if this was the case. Often people who HAVE adapted to 'normal' hazards don't want to 'stand out' by having modifications just for them.

But your post is showing exactly what my point was - why does 'joe public' who is not a professional in this field think that 'all bases have not been covered'? It's a no brainer first step in this situation, one I am sure was dealt with a long time ago.

To me this whole topic is really another 'nit pick' at the show; at least I hope it is because as said before, it's pretty degrading for all involved esp Sam.

It's not degrading or insulting to wonder whether these issues have been taken into consideration. Like you said Sam can handle himself. I'm sure he wouldn't mind people discussing accessibility issues on the Internet. Fair enough, they probably already considered it. I was just thinking out loud because one of my relatives has to deal with issues of access, amongst other things, due to a disability. Anyway, lets hope the WHS team gets onto infection control next, what with some of the housemates stealing each other's razors and toothbrushes. :cautious:

It's not degrading or insulting to wonder whether these issues have been taken into consideration.
OK, here is what I would ask anyone who is posting about how concerned they are for Sam over this issue:
Q: so how many posts have you made about Sam & his time in the house thus far? What he is doing, how he is interacting etc?(This is a rhetorical question)
My Answer: I believe not that many; so how would anyone feel if the only interest shown in them was about their difficulties & disabilities? Because this is what happens time & time again, like taking up for the wounded bird - stuff whatever else he is doing, that's not interesting enough to post about but his disability .. hell yeah that's forum fodder!

Anyway, lets hope the WHS team gets onto infection control next, what with some of the housemates stealing each other's razors and toothbrushes. :cautious:
Oh I wouldn't worry about that too much; you know as teenagers, we used to all drink out of the same bottle at sports carnivals! (shock ! horror!) :)

Back