Skip to main content

Audience laughing at sam because of his mobility issue/disability

To me the difference is that #1 he wasn't included in the joke and #2 he hadn't even initiated it. If he'd said something like "bloody hell BB did you really need to put stairs this year?" and he'd stumbled... fair enough. If someone had said to his face "those stairs must be a bitch for you" considering the jokes he's said, then yeah. But in this instance, there was no joke. The dude was just cruising up the stairs. Laughing at him stumbling about the house or up the stairs when he's just doing his own thing isn't funny to me. He wasn't a part of the joke and wasn't even intending to be humorous. That's the difference for me.

He makes jokes about it, he invites others to make jokes about it - the HM's do on occasions.
The viewers & audience have picked up on this as well (except you) - nothing wrong with it. you're over reacting...

He makes jokes about it, he invites others to make jokes about it - the HM's do on occasions.
The viewers & audience have picked up on this as well (except you) - nothing wrong with it. you're over reacting...
So if someone jokes/makes light of themselves now and then, it's an open invitation to laugh at them anytime? Since when? We may be overreacting in the sense that it was only a small number of probably dumb kids that were heard laughing, but no, that's not how it works.

So if someone jokes/makes light of themselves now and then, it's an open invitation to laugh at them anytime? Since when? We may be overreacting in the sense that it was only a small number of probably dumb kids that were heard laughing, but no, that's not how it works.

Like I said before, I think people in this thread assuming they need to rush to his defense is more insulting than anything the audience did.

Like I said before, I think people in this thread assuming they need to rush to his defense is more insulting than anything the audience did.
I'm not seeing "oh, poor Sam" in any of this, sorry. Just people thinking the audience members laughing was revolting. And even if that kind of thing is water off Sam's back, do you honestly think he approves of people laughing at others' physical challenges? Sorry, it's not defensible on the grounds that being kind to people is insulting.

No one in BB found it worthy of an edit, the audience didn't condemn the 'laughers', nor did Sonja - the media hasn't picked up on it thinking its anything - you need to get over it, move on, it really is a non issue...

I'm not seeing "oh, poor Sam" in any of this, sorry. Just people thinking the audience members laughing was revolting. And even if that kind of thing is water off Sam's back, do you honestly think he approves of people laughing at others' physical challenges? Sorry, it's not defensible on the grounds that being kind to people is insulting.

If we opened a thread every time a housemate was laughed at then that's all we would talk about it.

Why aren't you up in arms over BB's treatment of the intellectually challenged HM's? We laugh at them all the time - and they are set up to be laughed out by BB himself.

Is that not the same because it is not as obvious an ailment; mental rather than physical? Somehow a missing limb makes them more worthy of your protection?

Come on - this is consensual reality TV, these aren't random people picked off the street and forced into the public eye.

I don't know why I'm being singled out for this, but point very much made, and trust me, I'm speechless.

Because you agree with the premise of the thread, and are the most recently active? This is just a discussion with opposing views... not a declaration of war. I still like you :)

my niece is 2 and she has always been aware that i cant do some things my brothers and sister can and she accepts me for who i am

i dont care what anyone thinks imo they were laughing at someones physical disability and no matter how old the audience were they should have known better

So... what about when the audience laughs at the 'stupid' things Skye and Travis do? Are you just as outraged? If not then why the hypocrisy?

So... what about when the audience laughs at the 'stupid' things Skye and Travis do? Are you just as outraged? If not then why the hypocrisy?
they are not disabled .......... you have no understanding about people with disabilities

I think the line gets blurred for people who have little common sense or compassion towards others. I know that Sam regularly jokes about his leg, but it seems that other people have given themselves the right to make jokes about his leg also. I kind of find it alarming that when the other housemates make jokes that would otherwise be extremely inappropriate just get laughed off. I understand Sam might not have any issues with it but I don't think him joking about it means everyone else can hop on and have a good laugh at his expense.

I think the line gets blurred for people who have little common sense or compassion towards others. I know that Sam regularly jokes about his leg, but it seems that other people have given themselves the right to make jokes about his leg also. I kind of find it alarming that when the other housemates make jokes that would otherwise be extremely inappropriate just get laughed off. I understand Sam might not have any issues with it but I don't think him joking about it means everyone else can hop on and have a good laugh at his expense.
exactly many disabled people laugh such things off but deep down it really hurts.....

I thought it completely weird that the first time they have a disabled person in the house they put the diary room (the most used room in the house bar bathroom) at the top of STAIRS! WTF?

they are not disabled .......... you have no understanding about people with disabilities

I am really struggling to find the distinction you have drawn - either way the audience is laughing at someone for something they have no control over. Why is it especially bad with Sam? He has accomplished more with one leg than 99% of people will with two, the last thing we should do is feel sorry for him and assume he can't look after himself.

The audience is shit, they will always be shit. This really is a non issue.

I thought it completely weird that the first time they have a disabled person in the house they put the diary room (the most used room in the house bar bathroom) at the top of STAIRS! WTF?
yes exactly sam auditioned and got though so woldnt you think they would have moved the diary room to the downstairs area?

You are wrong, just re watched it 3 or 4 times. He is adjusting his leg and no one, even a moron is going to laugh at that. The laughing sounds like it only comes from a small concentrated section of the crowd of 850 and then sounds like the same small section then clap about something, clearly not the complete crowd involved. I'd be pretty confident to say something happened off camera with Sonia and/or Mike. Anyone else rewatch it and get the same opinion? Anyone actually there and know what happened?

yes exactly sam auditioned and got though so woldnt you think they would have moved the diary room to the downstairs area?

I really hope this thread is never seen by Sam - I know you have good intentions, but holy shit comments like this are patronizing as shit. The guy is a highly accomplished athlete, and you are concerned about him getting up some stairs?

Come on....

I really hope this thread is never seen by Sam - I know you have good intentions, but holy shit comments like this are patronizing as shit. The guy is a highly accomplished athlete, and you are concerned about him getting up some stairs?

Come on....

I'm basing my opinions on the fact Sam said "Stairs are my worst enemy" the first time he went to the diary room.

Back