Skip to main content

Audience laughing at sam because of his mobility issue/disability

To me the difference is that #1 he wasn't included in the joke and #2 he hadn't even initiated it. If he'd said something like "bloody hell BB did you really need to put stairs this year?" and he'd stumbled... fair enough. If someone had said to his face "those stairs must be a bitch for you" considering the jokes he's said, then yeah. But in this instance, there was no joke. The dude was just cruising up the stairs. Laughing at him stumbling about the house or up the stairs when he's just doing his own thing isn't funny to me. He wasn't a part of the joke and wasn't ev
To me the difference is that #1 he wasn't included in the joke and #2 he hadn't even initiated it. If he'd said something like "bloody hell BB did you really need to put stairs this year?" and he'd stumbled... fair enough. If someone had said to his face "those stairs must be a bitch for you" considering the jokes he's said, then yeah. But in this instance, there was no joke. The dude was just cruising up the stairs. Laughing at him stumbling about the house or up the stairs when he's just doing his own thing isn't funny to me. He wasn't a part of the joke and wasn't even intending to be humorous. That's the difference for me.
hence why the audience laughing at him was not right

I think the gibbons, add the laughing.

Would the audience have seen this live.

i didnt notice this laughing.
you guys sure you arent just overreacting?
Nah, they were definitely laughing. I rewound it to make sure because even I was like wtf, surely that didn't happen. I definitely err on seeing the funny side of jokes that are considered non PC in Australia these days but even I clocked it.

However in the sake of trying to see the good side in all of those kids in the audience, maybe someone made a joke about something completely unrelated that spread and that's what they were reacting to. If so that was a big fail on Ch 9's part.

Why did they even build stairs to begin with? Why couldnt they have one of those old person chairs installed for Sam? He musn't go in there a lot unless he has to.

I have liked every message in this thread because i 100% agree. The crowed were utterly dreadful. Seriously i cringe so much when they to camera fly overs because half if the audience are bogans with no shoes on that have been given free tickets because no one wants to go to the live shows any more because aint no body got time to *takes massive breath in* sit next to bogans with no shoes. *sigh* We can't expect much from australian kids who think it's funny to say 'ha gay'. Mm, naii.

Monday and Tuesday were complete sell outs O_O

They could gave been laughing at something that happened at the auditorium completely unrelated. Which happens more than you might think. (well I hope that's what it was and not people laughing at Sam)

First time posting here, and I'm a bit nervous. :S
I'm a 16 year girl, I have always struggled a bit with my self-confidence and I do have a diagnosed anxiety disorder which I am currently seeking help for (one of the reasons why I am sooooooooo nervous posting). Sorry if my reaction is over the top and very much like a typical teenager :p
In saying that, I completely agree with you. I was shocked when I saw the audience react like that, and I find it unacceptable and something that I would never even consider doing as I can strongly relate to the feeling that emerges when being laughed at for a physical condition or characteristic. I just cannot understand people like that.

i probably overreacted it just pissed me off that people were laughing at sam for something he cannot help

It's appalling, and one's opinion of him as a person or as a HM is irrelevant to laughing at him for struggling with his disability. That's not done, plain and simple.

^I've got no idea if I have quoted correctly, sorry if I haven't.
Just looking at these two quotes, all I can think about is how they could also be used for Lisa. I don't know if you two have ever made fun of Lisa for her breasts and I am not the type of person to make accusations, but there is a lot of people who do make fun of her on this website. I am sorry for comparing a severe disability to a superficial thing aka. breasts, but I am the sort of person who believes that any constant name-calling or bullying of someone due to a physical characteristic is just a complete low blow. Sure, I can understand how people dislike Lisa, but does "one's opinion of [her] as a person" permit everyone to make fun of her for "something [she] cannot help". Members could also argue that they are doing it just for a 'joke', but I doubt it would be funny for Lisa or anyone who has experienced low self-esteem in relation to their breasts.
Now the thing is, I wouldn't have bothered making an account if it wasn't for what I feel are unfair assumptions about people my age or even younger. It's just the hypocrisy that got to me. How can people on here criticise the audience and say how immature they are, as well as how they are not a representation of the people on this website, when since I first started using it this year, all I have seen are consistent negative remarks about the physical appearances of the housemates, whether it be Lisa's breasts or David's beard or whatever? And then having the audacity to blame it on the age and the immaturity of the audience? I'm pretty sure most of the people who say these comments are in their 20's.
I am genuinely sorry as I do not like to take away all the fun of using this forum, but I think I just needed to vent a bit. I feel embarrassed for my overreaction and I am sorry for whoever said earlier on that they do not like political correctness! I fully understand if anyone disagrees, and I accept any replies that call me out on anything I have gotten wrong. I am a pretty open person, and my opinions are always changing.
I have a strong feeling I am going to regret this tomorrow...
Oh, and the reason why I mentioned my anxiety was to outline that I am quite sensitive to anyone saying anything negative about the physical aspect of a person as it is one of the main areas that causes me anxiety. I also understand that no one on this website has any obligation to not say what they want to just because of one girl with anxiety issues lol :p
Also, sorry to the poster for my rant, I can tell you have been affected by that reaction from the audience. I totally agree with what you are saying.
Finally, the main symptom of social anxiety is the fear of being judged. Please be aware that posting this is very difficult for me. The thought of offending anyone or annoying anyone always makes me extremely anxious. Just be nice pleaseeeee. Hopefully no one thinks of me as a drama queen or attention seeker. Maybe no one will see this... Yes, I have realised my apology is longer than the rant. :( I'm scared I'm going to wake up tomorrow when my mind is in a better place and I'm going to cringe soooo hard at this. OH WELL IM DOING IT

First time posting here, and I'm a bit nervous. :S
I'm a 16 year girl, I have always struggled a bit with my self-confidence and I do have a diagnosed anxiety disorder which I am currently seeking help for (one of the reasons why I am sooooooooo nervous posting). Sorry if my reaction is over the top and very much like a typical teenager :p
In saying that, I completely agree with you. I was shocked when I saw the audience react like that, and I find it unacceptable and something that I would never even consider doing as I can strongly relate to the feeling that emerges when being laughed at for a physical condition or characteristic. I just cannot understand people like that.

^I've got no idea if I have quoted correctly, sorry if I haven't.
Just looking at these two quotes, all I can think about is how they could also be used for Lisa. I don't know if you two have ever made fun of Lisa for her breasts and I am not the type of person to make accusations, but there is a lot of people who do make fun of her on this website. I am sorry for comparing a severe disability to a superficial thing aka. breasts, but I am the sort of person who believes that any constant name-calling or bullying of someone due to a physical characteristic is just a complete low blow. Sure, I can understand how people dislike Lisa, but does "one's opinion of [her] as a person" permit everyone to make fun of her for "something [she] cannot help". Members could also argue that they are doing it just for a 'joke', but I doubt it would be funny for Lisa or anyone who has experienced low self-esteem in relation to their breasts.
Now the thing is, I wouldn't have bothered making an account if it wasn't for what I feel are unfair assumptions about people my age or even younger. It's just the hypocrisy that got to me. How can people on here criticise the audience and say how immature they are, as well as how they are not a representation of the people on this website, when since I first started using it this year, all I have seen are consistent negative remarks about the physical appearances of the housemates, whether it be Lisa's breasts or David's beard or whatever? And then having the audacity to blame it on the age and the immaturity of the audience? I'm pretty sure most of the people who say these comments are in their 20's.
I am genuinely sorry as I do not like to take away all the fun of using this forum, but I think I just needed to vent a bit. I feel embarrassed for my overreaction and I am sorry for whoever said earlier on that they do not like political correctness! I fully understand if anyone disagrees, and I accept any replies that call me out on anything I have gotten wrong. I am a pretty open person, and my opinions are always changing.
I have a strong feeling I am going to regret this tomorrow...
Oh, and the reason why I mentioned my anxiety was to outline that I am quite sensitive to anyone saying anything negative about the physical aspect of a person as it is one of the main areas that causes me anxiety. I also understand that no one on this website has any obligation to not say what they want to just because of one girl with anxiety issues lol :p
Also, sorry to the poster for my rant, I can tell you have been affected by that reaction from the audience. I totally agree with what you are saying.
Finally, the main symptom of social anxiety is the fear of being judged. Please be aware that posting this is very difficult for me. The thought of offending anyone or annoying anyone always makes me extremely anxious. Just be nice pleaseeeee. Hopefully no one thinks of me as a drama queen or attention seeker. Maybe no one will see this... Yes, I have realised my apology is longer than the rant. :( I'm scared I'm going to wake up tomorrow when my mind is in a better place and I'm going to cringe soooo hard at this. OH WELL IM DOING IT
Hi shy. I'm going to talk to you as though you're not the second account of someone else just in case we're being trolled (no offense but it happens daily here)

I for one have had quite a few laughs at Lisa's expense because of comments posted here and elsewhere and yet I arced up about people laughing at Sam stumbling. For me the issue first arose when Lisa took something she overheard and tried to put words in David's mouth when we saw he didn't say anything she'd suggested and even in the pool she'd been the one who referred to her boobs. And even started to shake them. She was happy when she felt he thought they were A-1 and hurt when she heard they weren't even though he wasn't even the one who said the saggy comment so if she's in the house come Secrets Exposed time, we see her get shown that although I suspect she already knows anyway. So in that one aspect, she was wrong and I stand by that.

However you are right in the fact that we (I'm saying it as a generic we) are laughing about saggy boobs when that's something she can't help. I've had a kid... I know how it goes with tits and honestly I'd be the first one to say it. BUT, I do get what you're saying too. We're laughing at something she can't help - unless she had plastic surgery which is also something that is also laughed at often on here - so how is that different to laughing at Sam's leg. I get that and you've given me something to think about and I'm going to change how I respond to that from now on. However this is a very superficial site ie "who has the best tits" by a new poster this year, threads talking about bodies, etc. Usually the comments are spur of the moment... even those who have declared bullying on here have judged HMs by looks, sometimes with complete dissertations. I think that's human nature when it comes to a reality show but I do get what you meant before and will still continue with that.

If you're a real poster, I hope you stick around. We as a whole seem much more scary than we actually are but are actually very inclusive. If you're a second account then it makes me sad that someone felt the need to say this under an alias as you really did make great points. Either way, welcome! :)

YUP! Only a small group of nitwits laughed at him though, when he got to the top of the stairs... NOT the whole audience! Go to 45:25 in video!!!

However you are right in the fact that we (I'm saying it as a generic we) are laughing about saggy boobs when that's something she can't help.

The stupidest part is that there's nothing actually wrong with them in the first place! The only reason it's a thing people parrot is because of something stupid that David said.

The stupidest part is that there's nothing actually wrong with them in the first place! The only reason it's a thing people parrot is because of something stupid that David said.
Well to be fair... it wasn't even David who said it but Travis. He's the one who called her boobs saggy.

However I suspect people would've commented anyway. Seriously the way Jade's and Tahan's bodies were being dissected down to the minute detail last season... and even Heidi, Jazz, Tully, etc.... leads me to think it still would've been brought up. Maybe not this early and this intensely but at some point. Sometimes - especially if people or the OS provides screencaps - there's not much else to chat about but that superficial stuff (reason #1212412234 I'd never audition and I think I'm rather well-preserved). But I don't think it would've been a 'thing' if not for that conversation.

Like I said, I actually don't mind Lisa. Some of the stuff she says are the exact things the majority have said on here so I suspect the delivery and who she's saying it to ... is putting some offside. Plus her #1 fan on here is trying to start wars with people when really there are none to be had. I knew before coming into this thread that I preferred others to go this week over her and I think Reo is actually going to show a different aspect of her personality especially now with Katie gone but I had to face some hypocrisy that I was a part of by liking certain posts that made me laugh. Getting old over here but never too old to learn :)

Well to be fair... it wasn't even David who said it but Travis. He's the one who called her boobs saggy.

Oh yeah, for some reason I remembered it as being David. Probably because it sounds like typical David putting his foot in his mouth at the time

Why did they even build stairs to begin with? Why couldnt they have one of those old person chairs installed for Sam? He musn't go in there a lot unless he has to.
sam strikes me as the type that would rather try walking up the stairs on his hands than use some handicapped/geriatric mobility device.

Oh yeah, for some reason I remembered it as being David. Probably because it sounds like typical David putting his foot in his mouth at the time
whoa hey now ;)

To be fair he could be putting his foot in his mouth all the time. THAT is what I honestly miss from those 90 second LF vids. Because after like 110 people chimed in, searched for dirt, etc... someone always managed to peg it so at least we could sort out what was going on. Obviously we still missed all the other time in the house but to Mumbai's credit they usually gave us the proper highlight bar the weekend from hell. Maybe that's why they got sacked this year because they were actually doing their jobs?

Like, is David really putting his foot in his mouth all the time? Is Jason really crawling around trying to spy and eavesdrop on people all the time? Is Lisa really being a bitch constantly or yapping about people? Is Skye really flipping out all the time? etc... I suspect not in all cases but of course we see nothing else.

Why did they even build stairs to begin with? Why couldnt they have one of those old person chairs installed for Sam?
I really hope you're being ironic rather than moronic. I wouldn't want to judge a whole nation based on a handful of people chosen by a few producers and the few hundred who go to insanely cheer every word that comes out of Sonia's mouth, but as an outsider this incident and the way people talk about Priya suggests Australia still has a way to go.

And I will actually applaud producers for once for treating Sam just as they treat the others - and I suspect Sam would rather struggle up the stairs than have alternative diary room arrangements just for himself.

The other day I felt bad for him with the silent disco. They had 60 seconds to get to the 'dance floor' and Sam was hopping along. Then I remembered he is a gold medalist! Prob can run faster than saggy tits

i heard the laughing, but it wasn't like a crowd laugh? it was more like a group-within-the-crowd laugh? so i just assumed/hoped that it was something someone had said/done within the audience.
fucked up if they were actually laughing at him, though.

I don't think was supposed to be malicious - it is no different to people laughing at Travis for being a bit slow at times - that entire fake stretch fitness thing was laughing AT him, at BB's direction.

These guys made a choice to come on national TV, you can't expect 100% positive or well thought out crowd reactions. He doesn't need our sympathy, and I am pretty sure he would tell you that too. This thread is almost more insulting than laughing at him struggling down the stairs - like we need to protect him or something.

I wouldn't dwell on this too much; crowds are only as smart as the average, and the average is stupid.

I thought they were laughing at something else; something happening on the stage. If they were really laughing at Sam slowly walking up the stairs, they need a large dose of maturity.

sam strikes me as the type that would rather try walking up the stairs on his hands than use some handicapped/geriatric mobility device.

This!
If ignorant people laugh because he looks awkward walking up the stairs it's their issue. I doubt Sam himself would consider walking up the stairs a big deal at all.
He is strong and fit and confident and as a paralympian probably has trained harder on a daily basis than most people.
It not only takes physical but mental strength and I don't see him as an object of pity at all or see him as someone who needs that type of assistance.
That whole audience last night needed a mute button anyway and there's always some idiots in every crowd I think.

Back