2014 Ratings Thread

Wednesday, 5th November 2014 - Daily Show

Overnight viewers: 301,000
Ranked in total people: 5

Demographics:
25-54 #2
18-49 #2
16-39 #1

It's so bizarre that Go! Has such a massive drop in viewers. Surely the Cricket wouldn't take that many viewers away from BB?

I think the problem is less about people not knowing how to flick over, but more about content and scheduling. Not many people watch the multi channels because they networks are usually too scared to put anything good there to risk their ratings on the main channel. They don't use the multichannels for premium content and therefore no one expects premium content on there.

I know that I very rarely watch the multi channels.

I guess that doesn't explain why people can't flick over if BB was advertised - even Sonia mentioned it would be on Go!

I suspect it's a Catch-22 situation. Networks are too scared to put any premium content on a multi-channel, for fear of losing viewers, but until networks take the risk and START doing it, they AREN'T going to change the mindset of the viewing public.

AAARRRGGGHHH.

Meanwhile, recent news at Network 10 is interesting:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-06/ten-appoints-advisors-to-look-at-strategic-options/5870926
Don't think its a terrible thing about Ten tbh. They have been a mess for a few years now.

It's so bizarre that Go! Has such a massive drop in viewers. Surely the Cricket wouldn't take that many viewers away from BB?

It's because a lot of people don't realise the show is on GO! I think. I know Sonia mentioned it but that was right at the end and people switch off or walk out of the room or change the channel. And Ch9 think people are watching Ch9 24/7 so will see the ads for the move. It's like when they'd play the Survivor finale on the Saturday instead of the usual Tuesday night, I missed two finales due to that. A friend of mine messaged me this morning asking why BB wasn't on last night - she hadn't see the ads saying it was on GO! instead. Even myself I forgot to IQ it so that's both me and my friend who are massive BB fans who have watched every episode who missed last nights ep.

On the scale of things, is BB an expensive show to make and produce?
No, not even compared to some of our other reality shows. That was the point David Knox was making about because of what it's costing them to produce, BB's value for money because of how well it's doing in the demos.

Speaking of demos, how seriously crazy that BB still managed to do so well last night. BB this season is like the Little Engine That Could. They can keep messing around with its scheduling and even chuck it over to GO but it just keeps going. Very happy with last nights show and that it was rewarded the next day!

Reactions: Tee
No, not even compared to some of our other reality shows. That was the point David Knox was making about because of what it's costing them to produce, BB's value for money because of how well it's doing in the demos.

Speaking of demos, how seriously crazy that BB still managed to do so well last night. BB this season is like the Little Engine That Could. They can keep messing around with its scheduling and even chuck it over to GO but it just keeps going. Very happy with last nights show and that it was rewarded the next day!
Just to be clear... Those demos above are the multichannel demos.
Roughly half of the # of viewers it normally gets in the demos on the main channel.

Just to be clear... Those demos above are the multichannel demos.
Roughly half of the # of viewers it normally gets in the demos on the main channel.
Yeah I saw you post that earlier but that's still great though! If social media is an indication there were still quite a few people who didn't know that it had moved so the fact that it managed to still perform well is a big positive! Especially when it had two episodes of that bloody BBT to compete with.

It's because a lot of people don't realise the show is on GO! I think. I know Sonia mentioned it but that was right at the end and people switch off or walk out of the room or change the channel. And Ch9 think people are watching Ch9 24/7 so will see the ads for the move. It's like when they'd play the Survivor finale on the Saturday instead of the usual Tuesday night, I missed two finales due to that. A friend of mine messaged me this morning asking why BB wasn't on last night - she hadn't see the ads saying it was on GO! instead. Even myself I forgot to IQ it so that's both me and my friend who are massive BB fans who have watched every episode who missed last nights ep.

I think this is right. If people turn on the TV for the first time all day or switch over from another channel at 8.30 in the hopes of catching BB and see the cricket is on, they might just assume it's not on. If I hadn't been on here yesterday I would have been one of those people. I assume channel 9 expected a drop in numbers which is why nominations are tonight instead.

Foxtel series link also didn't pick up that it had moved to Go last night even though Foxtel series link has picked up that it's replayed at midnight for 3 hours on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't know if Foxtel feeds into the Oztam ratings however.

It has zero to do with Cricket. I have said this many times before, when you put a show on a multichannel, you reduce its potential audience by about half.

Every show that has moved from a main channel to a multichannel has lost around half its audience. While every show that has moved from a multichannel to a main channel has roughly doubled its viewership.

This is why Channel 9 would never make BB exclusive to GO, because the lower ratings and demos would make the show unprofitable.

That's why multichannels are dominated by movies and repeats of other shows, because movies and repeats are dirt cheap, so they can afford to rate badly and still turn a profit.

It has zero to do with Cricket. I have said this many times before, when you put a show on a multichannel, you reduce its potential audience by about half.

Every show that has moved from a main channel to a multichannel has lost around half its audience. While every show that has moved from a multichannel to a main channel has roughly doubled its viewership.

This is why Channel 9 would never make BB exclusive to GO, because the lower ratings and demos would make the show unprofitable.

That's why multichannels are dominated by movies and repeats of other shows, because movies and repeats are dirt cheap, so they can afford to rate and still rate badly.
yes we know that happens... question is WHY?

Few theories:

I think habit plays a big part. People are so used to watching shows on 7, 9 and 10, they don't really think about switching to GO and 7two.

Or maybe people perceive multichannels as being littered with crap repeats and movies (which they are), so they if something is on a multichannel, then it mustn't be worth watching.

Few theories:

I think habit plays a big part. Peole are so used to watching shows on 7, 9 and 10, they don't really think about switching to GO and 7two.

Or maybe people perceive multichannels as being littered with crap repeats and movies (which they are), so they if something is on a multichannel, then it mustn't be worth watching.
yeah that's what I was saying earlier.

It's the slow fade for FTA networks.

probably because they dont wait longer than an episode or two before panicking and moving the show again.
it would be interesting to see what would happen if they took a reasonably popular show, stuck it on go, and then just left it there, come hell or high water.

probably because they dont wait longer than an episode or two before panicking and moving the show again.
it would be interesting to see what would happen if they took a reasonably popular show, stuck it on go, and then just left it there, come hell or high water.

Take however it was rating on Nine, then reduce that number by half. Then you will get a good estimate as to how it would rate.

Another thing is that the networks don't want their multichannels to do too well, as it would take viewers away from more important and expensive shows on the main channel. They just view multichannels as a cheap way to get extra revenue and boost their overall ratings share by combining the numbers for their main channel and multichannels.

Back