Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull Big Brother repeat: expert

A bullying expert has called on the Nine Network to pull a repeat screening of Big Brother's latest eviction because it featured a "form of violence" that children should not see.

Griffith University bullying researcher Dr Linda Shallcross says the eviction of Gemma Kinghorn was mobbing, hurtful and constituted public shaming.

Kinghorn was evicted after the 14 housemates had to stand behind either her, or her playing partner Jake, to decide who should stay in the house. The housemates also had to give a reason why.

All but one stood behind Jake and the process caused an outcry on social media.

Dr Shallcross said repeating the Tuesday night episode on Nine's subsidiary channel GO! on Wednesday afternoon, during school holidays, was sending the wrong message to children and teenagers.

"It's despicable and it's what we call mobbing," Dr Shallcross told AAP.

"It's a group form of bullying where people gang up against another person and it goes on in schools, it goes on in workplaces and it causes a lot of damage.

"Nine should just pull it and apologise."

Dr Shallcross, who has been with Griffith University for more than 10 years, said the example of mobbing was worse because it was a reality TV show.

She said no matter how much people thought Kinghorn may have been disliked, or not as well liked as Jake, that was not an excuse to humiliate her in that way.

"This is reality TV and it's promoting that it's acceptable behaviour to get rid of someone you don't like," she said.

"No matter what she did, and people may say she was a deserving target ... what my concern is that it promotes this kind of behaviour and it's a form of violence.

"I perfectly understand the public outcry about it."

Dr Shallcross said mobbing was notable among girls at school and it's something that needs to be eradicated.

She said Big Brother's eviction had the potential to cause enormous damage to Kinghorn.

Kinghorn said during her exit interview with Sonia Kruger that she understood why the housemates chose Jake ahead of her.

Dr Shallcross said that response was a typical response counsellors hear from women who have suffered domestic violence because they blame themselves for the way they are treated.

"She's blaming herself which is typical victim behaviour, like domestic violence," she said.

Big Brother's executive producer Alex Mavroidakis was asked to comment about the eviction process but Nine has said he is unavailable for the day.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...eat-expert-20140924-10lcb3.html#ixzz3EDJSvkhw

Pull Big Brother repeat: expert

A bullying expert has called on the Nine Network to pull a repeat screening of Big Brother's latest eviction because it featured a "form of violence" that children should not see.

Griffith University bullying researcher Dr Linda Shallcross says the eviction of Gemma Kinghorn was mobbing, hurtful and constituted public shaming.

Kinghorn was evicted after the 14 housemates had to stand behind either her, or her playing partner Jake, to decide who should stay in the house. The housemates also had to give a reason why.

All but one stood behind Jake and the process caused an outcry on social media.

Dr Shallcross said repeating the Tuesday night episode on Nine's subsidiary channel GO! on Wednesday afternoon, during school holidays, was sending the wrong message to children and teenagers.

"It's despicable and it's what we call mobbing," Dr Shallcross told AAP.

"It's a group form of bullying where people gang up against another person and it goes on in schools, it goes on in workplaces and it causes a lot of damage.

"Nine should just pull it and apologise."

Dr Shallcross, who has been with Griffith University for more than 10 years, said the example of mobbing was worse because it was a reality TV show.

She said no matter how much people thought Kinghorn may have been disliked, or not as well liked as Jake, that was not an excuse to humiliate her in that way.

"This is reality TV and it's promoting that it's acceptable behaviour to get rid of someone you don't like," she said.

"No matter what she did, and people may say she was a deserving target ... what my concern is that it promotes this kind of behaviour and it's a form of violence.

"I perfectly understand the public outcry about it."

Dr Shallcross said mobbing was notable among girls at school and it's something that needs to be eradicated.

She said Big Brother's eviction had the potential to cause enormous damage to Kinghorn.

Kinghorn said during her exit interview with Sonia Kruger that she understood why the housemates chose Jake ahead of her.

Dr Shallcross said that response was a typical response counsellors hear from women who have suffered domestic violence because they blame themselves for the way they are treated.

"She's blaming herself which is typical victim behaviour, like domestic violence," she said.

Big Brother's executive producer Alex Mavroidakis was asked to comment about the eviction process but Nine has said he is unavailable for the day.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...eat-expert-20140924-10lcb3.html#ixzz3EDJSvkhw

Yes!!! This article is so much to me. It's horrible how they want children to play nice, but adults can act like children and get away with it!

Big Brother Australia: Is Lawson the ultimate gentleman or master game player?
external

He handed Aisha $20,000 without batting an eye after taking out Big Brother's Perfect Pairs challenge,
but did master magician Lawson just pull a fast one on us all? Courtesy Channel Nine.
http://video.news.com.au/v/242666/B...-the-ultimate-gentleman-or-master-game-player

I think Lawson gave a reasonable answer for his reasons. However, what he didn't say and what he knows and I think mentioned later in a Diary room chat was that it probably puts a target on ones back.

Viewers slam Big Brother’s first eviction and label it ‘humiliating’ after Gemma Kinghorn’s departure

Fans also bombarded Big Brother’s official Facebook page with criticism, comparing the selection process to schoolyard bullying.
“This is just MEAN bullying at its finest its (sic) so awful poor Gemma,” user Claire wrote.
“That was the most embarrassing and demeaning form of eviction I’ve ever seen. I didn’t particularly like Gemma, but I felt sorry for her,” Carla said.

Her troubled time on the reality show indicated that her chances of being evicted were high, she said. Gemma had mentally prepared herself as a result.
“I knew I wasn’t liked. That’s the way it goes.”
When she appeared on stage with host Sonia Kruger, Gemma was still visibly upset and wiped tears away while answering questions.
661753-2fbbfab6-436c-11e4-bbb6-36a0bafef4a2.jpg

Emotional exit ... Gemma was in tears as she left the Big Brother house last night. Source: Channel 9

She feels much brighter about things today, she said, and doesn’t feel quite as strongly about her eviction as viewers do.
That’s despite admitting there were strong similarities to the horrific bullying she was subjected to as a child.
Gemma, who has a condition called Marfan’s Syndrome that makes her abnormally tall, said at 13 she was already 190cm tall.
“I was super skinny, I had red hair and braces so I got teased all the time.
“There were similarities (last night) to what (I experienced). In the schoolyard, it was tough. It was horrible to be the last one picked.
“Now I’m a big, strong girl and I can look after myself. The tears were because my time in the house was over. I’m feeling great today.”
636603-3d182f40-436c-11e4-bbb6-36a0bafef4a2.jpg

Brief stay ... Gemma on the couch with Sonia Kruger. Source: Channel 9

Speaking about the strategy that ultimately got her kicked out, Gemma said she had no regrets about deliberately pushing people’s buttons.

“I’ve watched the show for a long time and I like that game side of it. I like causing conflict and that’s what I’d like to watch if I was at home.
“The line got a bit blurred between emotion and strategy though. I felt unliked by the housemates and I think it upset me. I was emotionally invested.”
660393-70334e18-4372-11e4-bbb6-36a0bafef4a2.jpg

Out of the house ... Gemma was the first housemate to be evicted from the Big Brother house for 2014.
Source: Channel 9

And despite how it might have seemed on television, Gemma insisted she enjoyed her time in the competition.
“I had heaps of fun. I don’t know if it was shown. I think what was shown was me being upset all the time. I enjoyed it though.”
There are now 15 housemates left in the Big Brother house.

660445-5f44b722-4372-11e4-bbb6-36a0bafef4a2.jpg

Time to go ... Gemma walks the plank after being evicted on Tuesday night.
Source: Channel 9

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ghorns-departure/story-fn8yvfst-1227068634900

I'm on board with the basic premise of that bullying article with the doctor, but this bit just seems wildly off-base in context:

It's actually kind of offensive IMO.

'We were in a relationship': Gold Coast bodybuilder reveals he was dating Big Brother's Skye when she entered the house and has dumped her after she kissed Jake
By Alicia Vrajlal for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 13:28 AEST, 24 September 2014 | Updated: 16:48 AEST, 24 September 2014

Since entering the Big Brother house two weeks ago, she's made no secret she's got her eyes on cute housemate Jake.

But it has been revealed 20-year-old blonde contestant Skye Wheatley already had a boyfriend on the outside when she made her debut on the show earlier this month.

'I can confirm we are or should I say were in a relationship,' 23-year-old Gold Coast bodybuilder Dion Sheppard told Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday after revealing he has since split with the blonde bombshell after she kissed Sydneysider Jake in the Big Brother hot spa.

Scroll down for video

1410224870719_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_2014_nFor_fur.JPG

Not so single? It has been revealed Skye Wheatley from the 2014 season of Big Brother Australia was in a relationship when she entered the house earlier this month

1411526483731_Image_galleryImage_skye_1_jpg.JPG

Couple alert: Gold Coast bodybuilder Dion Sheppard confirmed to Daily Mail Australia on Wednesday he was dating Skye when she entered the Big Brother house

News of the pair's relationship became known when a close friend of Dion took to Facebook last week on Tuesday to reveal all.

'Chilling with big dezzy watching his cheating girlfriend get shut down by a nerd on big brother! Haha shame hope it was worth it! New stud on the market! (sic)' the friend captioned a photo of himself with Dion, which was later shared on Big Brother fan forum Behind Big Brother.

Commenting on the photo, Dion wrote: 'Nah this is as far as it goes , i wont alter her stay on bigbrother by making itmore public then it is she can fess up when she gets out:) good luck to her (sic).'

While the dark-haired fitness enthusiast has remain rather tight-lipped on details of their relationship, mutual friends of Dion and Skye have taken to fan forums to spill the goss.

1410703760473_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_Australia_201.JPG

Deal breaker: Dion revealed he has since split with the blonde bombshell after she kissed Sydneysider Jake in the Big Brother hot spa

Housemates hook-up at Midwinter Night's Dream Party
video-undefined-215CEB1D00000578-64_636x358.jpg

1411526524483_Image_galleryImage_skye_2_jpg.JPG

Online claims: News of the pair's relationship became known when a close friend of Dion took to Facebook last week on Tuesday to reveal all

1411526564963_Image_galleryImage_skye_3_jpg.JPG

Moving on: Dion commented on the post saying things will be resolved with the blonde when she gets evicted

'Skye and Dion were dating for approx. 6-7 weeks,' wrote one Behind Big Brother user on the fan forum.

But it seems Skye has concealed any fact she was in a relationship before entering the house, even describing herself on launch night as a single girl ready to mingle.

The Gold Coast barista described her ideal man as someone who has 'dark skin. Dark. Dark. Dark. Dark everything. Blue eyes is nice. Big lips. Gotta have a nice smile. Long eyelashes. Nice eyebrows that I could tidy up with my wax pot.'

And it didn't take her long to take a liking to 25-year-old Jake, the pair taking their friendship to the next level in just a matter of a few days.

A spree of sexy dancing on the lawn in the first week soon saw the action move to the hot tub, with Skye cuddling up to Jake and the pair the first to share a kiss.

1411526587564_Image_galleryImage_image001_png.JPG

In a relationship: Dion changed his status on Facebook back in July showing he wasn't a single man

1410703508923_wps_22_Big_Brother_Australia_201.jpg

Onscreen smooch: Skye and Jake were the first pair to share a kiss in the house and the blonde has been infatuated by the dark-haired stud since

While the group around them cheered, they managed to get another smooch in later when the crowd had thinned out, with Skye quickly grilling Travis: 'Is he keen on me?'

The answer seemed to be no, with Jake later admitting in the privacy of the Big Brother bedroom that it was just 'too soon' for a romance but that Skye was 'fun'.

Since then he has pursued fellow blonde beauty Lisa, 29, asking the Perth stunner to kiss him behind Skye's back.

'If you're interested, go for it!', Skye told Lisa unconvincingly, but Lisa refused to plant a smooch on the spectacled cutie, although the pair did flirt up a storm behind closed doors.

Many fans have drawn comparisons between Skye's situation to that of contestant Tully Smyth's last year.

The 26-year-old bisexual housemate was dumped by her real-life girlfriend Talia when she kissed fellow housemate Anthony Drew on the show.

1411307582129_wps_39_vlcsnap_2014_09_21_23h23m.jpg

1411525562918_wps_84_vlcsnap_2014_09_21_23h23m.jpg

Love triangle: A week later Jake tried to plant a kiss on Lisa on Sunday night's Big Brother episode but she was having none of it because her best friend in the house Skye likes him

1411308001211_Image_galleryImage_vlcsnap_2014_09_21_23h23m.JPG

Out of the picture! Skye was unaware of all the flirting between Jake and Lisa going on behind her back

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...d-house-dumped-kissed-Jake.html#ixzz3EDZQJ8jK

'I was being a bit of a b***h on purpose': Big Brother's Gemma defends her antics in the house and reveals she was bullied as a teenager for her appearance
By Alicia Vrajlal and Maria Lewis for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 08:30 AEST, 24 September 2014 | Updated: 14:50 AEST, 24 September 2014
She might be 6"6' but Big Brother housemate Gemma was no Big Friendly Giant, with the fiery red head insisting that she was purposefully being a 'b***h' on the reality series.

The 29-year-old Perth girl was the first contestant evicted from the 2014 season of the hit show and she said she's not at all surprised.

'I was being a bit of a b***h on purpose,' she told the Daily Mail Australia.

Scroll down for video

1411523980974_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_2014_nFor_fur.JPG

Gone going: Gemma was the first housemate evicted from the Big Brother compound on the Gold Coast

'I was doing it to get attention and it worked.

'I didn't ever forget about the cameras because my whole plan was to be noticed all the time and be in the story line.

'Any publicity was good publicity as far as I was concerned so I was constantly searching out opportunities to be on them (the cameras).'

Gemma is the first to be evicted from the Big Brother house
video-undefined-2198C3C900000578-242_636x358.jpg

1411510447462_wps_1_Big_Brother_2014_Gemma_Ev.jpg

Bye bye Big Brother: Gemma waves to the screaming crowd at the live eviction show on Tuesday night

1411510471141_wps_2_Big_Brother_2014_Gemma_Ev.jpg

Tall statement: The 29-year-old stood hand-in-hand with host Sonia Kruger and admitted that while on the inside she wanted all the attention

It didn't seem to quite work out for Gemma as she planned however, with her saying that she 'thought' she was playing the long game only to be the first to go.

'I just wanted to be noticed all the time. Physically I get noticed all the time but in a place like that you need to stand out,' she said.

'I've been a viewer for a long time so I wanted to do what I wanted to watch and my favourite moments in Big Brother are conflicts.

'I don't think anyone was playing as hard as me... I was there to win, I was playing what I thought was the long game.'

1411524102523_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_2014_nFor_fur.JPG

+9
Statuesque stunner: The contestant dived housemates with her purposefully seeking out conflict

1411524551561_wps_9_Big_Brother_2014_nFor_fur.jpg

+9
1411524549313_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_2014_nFor_fur.JPG

+9
The long game: Gemma said she was playing the game in what she thought was a strategic move

Gemma's crocodile tears turn real on Big Brother Australia
video-undefined-218FE46300000578-886_636x358.jpg

Gemma, who has been a longtime fan of the show, said she had some experience with what to expect in the Big Brother house.

As a tall and unpopular girl in highschool, the red headed beauty was bullied for years.

'It's totally highschool in there,' she said of the Big Brother house.

'I did feel bullied at times. When you're in highschool you have that schoolyard pick.

'I was bullied so badly in highschool nobody wanted a bar of me... people would fight with each other to see who got me because nobody wanted me.

'I've learnt so many lessons in my life from when I got bullied I combat it in different ways.

'I'm so proud for the way i stood up for myself and confronted the other housemates because I would never have done that in school.

1411510482636_wps_4_Big_Brother_2014_Gemma_Ev.jpg

+9
Like highschool: Although close to Jake, Gemma added that the Big Brother house felt like highschool

1411523699958_wps_2_Big_Brother_2014_Gemma_Ev.jpg

Polarising beauty: She divided housemates with antics that she said were on purpose

1411510674867_Image_galleryImage_Big_Brother_2014_Gemma_Ev.JPG

Bullying victim: Gemma overcame severe bullying in secondary school and learned from her experiences

Gemma tells Skye she is 'as deep as a paddling pool'
video-undefined-2136A0DB00000578-64_636x358.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...e-reveals-bullied-teenager.html#ixzz3EDcQDKeg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

so that makes its ok for Skye to cheat on him on national TV...why didn't she dump him before she entered the house?

anyway I guess we will find out it there's more to this story:)
No, not at all, I was half-joking. She definitely should have broken up with him before entering the house, but possibly also just in general.

All the negative stories about Gemma's eviction method just prove the old adage:

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" :rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping us informed, posters. :)

lololol how many stories have we written for the Daily Mail now?
I reckon! they would have no idea bout Skye's boyfriend. and its no surprise he would blab for a bit of cash.

Just catching up on this thread and Gemma is so right about this quote about Cat

Gemma: Um, I . . . If it was Australia's choice, I don't know if I would have gone. If it was just Australia choosing then I think I would have been alright. Not necessarily against Jake but most certainly against Cat. I think that I could have beaten her every time because she doesn't do anything.

Big Brother – The Academic Who Equates Gemma’s Eviction With Domestic Violence Needs A Reality Check
by Reality Raver
There has been widespread criticism of the way Gemma was evicted this week on Big Brother, including an academic saying that Gemma defending the show actions in the media was the same as a domestic violence victim defending their perpetrator.
I think it is about time that academic, Dr Linda Smallcross had a reality check.
Sure it was humiliating and unnecessary for Gemma to be eliminated by her housemates choosing for Jake to stay over her, face to face, but she probably was over it by the time her interview on stage ended and she was being cheered by the fans in the audience.
In news.com.au Dr Smallcross states:
Dr Shallcross said the eviction was mobbing, where people gang up on one person, and a “form of violence”.
She said domestic violence victims often rationalise the acts of others by blaming themselves and Kinghorn seemed to be following suit.
“It’s similar to a domestic violence situation,” Dr Shallcross said.
“She’s blaming herself and that’s typical victim behaviour like domestic violence.
“A woman (who is a victim of domestic violence) will say I must have done something to aggravate them for them to do this.”
What a great way to minimise domestic violence by comparing it to this situation.
A person voluntarily going on a reality show like Big Brother knows there are going to be nominations and public votes for evictions and these can be emotionally tough on contestants. A person who is a victim of domestic violence is powerless and no matter how unpleasant it was for Gemma to stand up being voted out it is not a form of violence.
Dr Shallcross should be heartened that just about all of the Australian Big Brother watching community condemned Big Brother’s actions and it would be interesting to hear Alex Mavroidakis, the producer’s, response to this brouhaha, but it appears he is not responding to media inquiries today.
http://www.realityravings.com/

The deadly dozen! Big Brother's Lawson is gifted with 12 votes as he wields his power over the evictions leaving Katie, Cat, Dion, Travis and Priya to face the public
By Laura Evans for Daily Mail Australia
Published: 23:37 AEST, 24 September 2014 | Updated: 01:19 AEST, 25 September 2014
It all started with two stolen cans of Australian soft drink Solo, but it ended in five nominations.
Big Brother's Wednesday night episode went off with a bang as the first evictee Gemma delivered her parting gift to the remaining 15 housemates, but just hours later Katie, Cat, Dion, Travis and Priya were taking a walk in her shoes as they faced the public vote.
But unbeknownst to them one contestant had wielded an unhealthy amount of power - Lawson.
1411564848201_wps_13_Five_people_are_nominated.jpg

Five for the firing squad: Big Brother's Katie, Cat, Dion, Travis and Priya were nominated on Wednesday night's show and will face the public vote
Invited into the diary room to cast his vote the unsuspecting fellow was enlightened by the all- powerful Big Brother, who told him he was indebted with a special skills.

Superfluously named the 'deadly dozen power player' Lawson was given the chance to cast 12 points in the evening nominations.
'Lawson Big Brother is offering you the chance to buy information, the chance to reveal any housemates name at the cost of one point a name,' said the anonymous voice.
1411564911077_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

The deadly dozen! Lawson was given extra powers - 12 elimination points - and the ability to buy information
1411565025884_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

Secret powers! The 23-year-old used his power to influence to strategically change the eviction board making sure Katie got the most votes
1411565152546_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

Underhand: The Perth man was glad to see his pal Sam was safe from eviction
Lawson could effectively buy information to work out the position of his friends and frenemies on the eviction chart.
First, he opted to find out where his own name was - it was a few spaces below the red line.
Next, he asked to see his pal Sam's position - it was one point away from being in the red.
'That's good news to me I really rate Sam,' he said relieved.
His next move was to see Katie's name, which was in third position, he revealed he would have nominated the controversial brunette.
1411565160160_wps_17_Five_people_are_nominated.jpg

Shocked! The contestants supported each other as the names were run out one by one
1411565340298_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

Queen B: Katie was unpopular in the house because she kept lording it over people
Finding out Travis's name was in fourth position and Cat's was in first place he decided to bump up Katie's nominations giving her an extra five points, which put her ahead of Cat.
His parting gift was two points to Skye, because 'I find her quite immature'.
Taking their turns in the over sized chair the contestants revealed exactly what they thought of each other as they had five points to award to their least favourite housemates.
Sam shared his points between cross-fit obsessed Dion and Travis, due to his 'obnoxious' behaviour.
1411565302154_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

Obnoxious: Travis received plenty of votes for his 'overwhelming' personality
1411565388830_wps_23_Five_people_are_nominated.jpg

Game changing: Earlier in the show the contestants fell out over the stealing of two cans of Solo
Meanwhile hunky Ryan chose Cat, because of her inability to resolve problems quickly and Jake for being overly dramatic.
Cat plumped for Skye and David, while Jake chose Katie and Priya, the latter of whom also received a nomination from Skye, who chose Dion as her second pick because of his 'negativity towards food.'
Lisa, who'd had a run in with Cat earlier in the day, picked her and also Travis, while her pal Katie went for Cat as well and chose Lawson, meanwhile poor Cat received another nomination from Priya because of her 'weakness'.
Priya also opted for David.
1411565435577_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

'Devastated': Gemma recorded an emotional parting video message and broke down in tears as she spoke out Jake
Katie didn't get much love from Dion who called her 'hostile' opting to rid her from the contest, as well as 'boring' Cat, while Jason went for Lisa and Sam.
Finally Aisha chose Katie because 'I'm not into that Queen B attitude' and Sam for his sense of humour, which she didn't rate.
Earlier in the episode two cans of fizzy pop had sparked a ruckus among the housemates as they squabbled over who had stolen the cans from Katie's luggage, after she'd siphoned them away following the previous night's dinner.
Things were still not resolved 17 hours later as the reality TV stars continued to talk about the drama in hushed corners - hours later Cat was crying in the kitchen after Lisa gave her a tongue lashing.
1411565476612_Image_galleryImage_Five_people_are_nominated.JPG

'Be dynamic': The controversial contestant urged the housemates to 'push, push, push'
Also telling it straight was the recently departed Gemma who had filmed a parting message to her former house fellows.
Speaking of her partner Jake, the controversial blonde broke down in tears saying she was 'so lucky' to have met him, calling him 'one of the greatest people I've ever met'.
She also shared her opinion on a few other housemates and it wasn't quite as favourale.
David was branded a 'weirdo', Travis 'overwhelming' and Cat 'one dimensional' as she finished by urging them to be 'dynamic' and 'push, push, push'.
Big Brother continues tomorrow night at 8.40pm on Channel Nine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2767957/Big-Brother-s-Lawson-gifted-12-votes-wields-power-evictions-leaving-Katie-Cat-Dion-Travis-Priya-face-public.html#ixzz3EFZTtVIw

Big Brother has always been a big bully – why the new outrage?
Big Brother is founded on humiliation, yet it’s only when the abuse is made conspicuous that we kick up a fuss

4b31c626-9b57-46c8-9528-ecf80165161f-460x276.jpeg

Evictee Gemma and host Sonia Kruger: ‘Toss in some rusty swords and you’d have The Hunger Games.’ Photograph: Paul Broben/AAP Image
Another year, another Big Brother bullying scandal. Big Bother more like. Yuk. The same controversy accompanies almost every season of TV’s answer to the gastric balloon (it makes you feel like you’ve watched something, but that’s just the pocket of gaseous anti-TV filling your innards).
So why such shock, once again, that The Bullying Show has found yet another way to manifest prime time ignominy? Big Brother Australia’s latest shame-gimmick, taken straight from the pages of Getting Your Show Cancelled For Dummies, was instructing the housemates to line up behind the person they wanted to stay in the house. Mathematically, you could argue, this is less humiliating than being evicted by the public where, rather than 12 people voting against you, there are hundreds of thousands.
However, it’s not the public that housemate Gemma was trying to get along with in the show’s Ikea hellscape, but the very people now visibly abandoning her. It’s like the worse school sports lesson ever. Fan outrage at this public hazing is a healthy response, but it also begs the question: “Have none of these so-called fans ever watched the show?”
Just off the top of my head, I remember the housemates being deprived of food and fed nothing but protein shakes, asked to stand on a podium in the cold, and flatpacked two by two into miniature houses on wheels until either hunger or urination ended their commitment.
To this, the only outrage the average viewer probably mustered was a particularly aggressive fart, nudged out in between bouts of guffawing at other people’s misfortune and absorbed by a sofa that’s been sat on through so many series of this cultural rubble that it’s now less furniture, more a weathered death mask of your buttocks.
Big Brother is founded on humiliation, yet it’s only when the abuse is made conspicuous that we kick up a fuss. When I occasionally watch the show (for masochistic research purposes), I have to double check the TV listings to make sure I haven’t accidentally tuned in to a particularly dull addition to the Saw movie franchise; some soft-core sequel where the killer has become jaded by people carving out their own giblets, and has decided that his victims eating torture-porridge for a week is enough.
It’s not just the tasks that betray BB’s dedication to humiliation. The show also has an uncanny ability for a pick’n’ mix of housemates to redefine the symptoms of cabin fever, even its celebrity version. How could no one have seen that Jade Goody, her boyfriend, and her mother would have reacted with such ignorant malice towards Shilpa Shetty, or that Jim Davidson would have broken down, or that Gary Busey was not suitable house fodder?
These celebrities could just have easily not been cast, yet their inclusion is proof of an exploitative philosophy that rebrands mass bullying and humiliation as spectacle or entertainment. Toss in some rusty swords and you’d have The Hunger Games.
Condemning Big Brother for a glaringly obvious moment of public hazing fails to condemn its wider apparatus. I agree with Dr Linda Shallcross, the Griffith University academic who said this latest eviction is something children shouldn’t see. But that suggests there’s an aspect of the show they should see. It’s a bit like saying children shouldn’t watch the basement scene in Pulp Fiction.
And what about us? Given our capacity to be entertained by humiliation, perhaps we shouldn’t be so shocked when TV production companies provide us with exactly that. We have always watched Big Brother hoping for conflict, embarrassment and friction. Without these things, the show is just CCTV of the world’s most boring human zoo.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...s-always-been-a-big-bully-why-the-new-outrage

https://au.news.yahoo.com/entertainment/a/25104650/big-brother-smashed-in-the-tv-ratings/

Big Brother smashed in the TV ratings

DARREN CARTWRIGHT, NATIONAL TV WRITERSeptember 25, 2014, 10:45 am
25sept_bogbrother_1280x720-1a26ppl.jpg

AAPNine's reality series Big Brother recorded its worst TV ratings this season on Wednesday.
Big Brother's controversial eviction was followed by its worst five-city audience figure and lowest placing in the TV ratings this season.

The Nine Network reality series was the 17th most watched show on Wednesday with 618,000 viewers, according to OzTAM's overnight ratings.

It was beaten in its timeslot by the Seven Network's Criminal Minds (868,000) and by ABC comedy series Utopia (620,000).

The previous lowest five-city (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth) result was last Wednesday when it was 14th with 634,000 viewers.

The 11th season of Big Brother launched 17 days ago with 1.067 million viewers, the only time it has topped seven figures.

The second episode dipped to 924,000 and it's been downhill ever since.

There have been a couple of episodes which have come in well below 500,000 viewers but that was on nights it did not air in all five capital cities due to Nine's NRL commitments.

The latest ratings follow Tuesday night's controversial eviction when the housemates had to choose between Gemma and Jake to stay.

It caused a massive social media storm and was labelled "mobbing" by a bullying researcher.

The ratings will be of some concern for Nine although the network did take out the first three places in the rankings.

The Block Glasshouse won the night with 1.185 million viewers, followed by Nine News (1.140 million) and Nine News 6.30pm (1.106 million).

The reunion episode of Network Ten's dating series The Bachelor was 14th with 640,000 viewers.

Most watched shows on Wednesday

1. The Block Glasshouse (Nine) - 1.185 million

2. Nine News (Nine) - 1.140 million

3. Nine News 6.30pm (Nine) - 1.106 million

4. Seven News (Seven) - 1.013 million

5. A Current Affair (Nine) - 996,000

6. The Force - Behind The Line (Seven) - 972,000

7. Seven News/Today Tonight (Seven) - 970,000

8. Home And Away (Seven) - 893,000

9. Border Security - Australia's Front Line (Seven) - 876,000

10. Criminal Minds (Seven) - 868,000

-------------------------------------------------------------