Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I am liking Affable after all
However, there is no such thing as Independent now
You are either a Democrat or you're everything that is not
I keep asking the few Republicans I know
if you think POTUS was stolen then how was anyone else eledted
Anyway, thanks again for the Parley we need not rehash oz or Yank politics
I just gently remind that none of your would choose to live here
There are just too many people w/guns
There was Howie Hawkins running for the Greens as President. He might not have stood a chance in hell but I don't think you would classify him a republican lol

How to get so many things wrong in one publicity stunt...

Another hysterical article by the Murdoch mouthpiece.

Yeah it's one of those, you're first reaction is a bit off about it. Then you pause for a moment and go, "Oh... they're going to officially confirm Brisbane for the 2032 Olympics. That's what this is about". Not that she's going for fun, or a holiday but in an official capacity.

Here is the ABC's version of the story which does explain it a bit better.

I think ithe olympics occuring in general and sports people travelling when nobody else can will be an item of contention and controversy in the media in the coming weeks

I think the other incentive is that it will allow us to open up the country and allow us to travel, but I don't know if it is a tangable enough incentive for some poeple to get them to get the jab in a timely way. (only those that a desperate to see family in another part of the world).

But I think uptake in over 50s would be much higher if they had a choice. If I was in the age group where AZ was my only option I am not sure how quickly I would be lining up either, even if logically I know the risks of a blood clot are low. I think it is perfectly understandable to feel like you would like to wait to see if you can get another option.

Here is the ABC's version of the story which does explain it a bit better.

I think ithe olympics occuring in general and sports people travelling when nobody else can will be an item of contention and controversy in the media in the coming weeks
She should not be travelling to Tokyo or have access to a vaccine that other Australians her age generally don't have access to. If she can get vaccinated and leave the country then other vaccinated Australians should be able to as well. There's many people that have more convincing reasons to travel than her. Palashay should stay in Queensland.

She should not be travelling to Tokyo or have access to a vaccine that other Australians her age generally don't have access to. If she can get vaccinated and leave the country then other vaccinated Australians should be able to as well. There's many people that have more convincing reasons to travel than her. Palashay should stay in Queensland.

Hmm, good point there, young Drama. It doesn't seem fair.

Is Victoria becoming a banana republic?

Even if they are successful in getting the job and moving here, Its not so great for changing jobs and career progression once you move to South Australia. Job hunting in this state is a lot more limited than Victoria. Especially if you don't have networks or know the right people.

Also moving interstate is a lot more expensive than you expect its going to be - we got quoted more to move our stuff from Melbourne to Adelaide, than it was to move from Auckland to Melbourne.

But it does not surprise me that people have taken this time especially during extended lockdown to think about where they want to live and actively seek to make a change. It has given time to reflect and look around ask "how did I get here?" I know of a few people who have moved house to more rural parts of Vic etc even if not interstate.

One of my cousin's lives on the Mornington Peninsula, a truly beautiful and vibrant place, but she and her husband want to relocate to NSW because they can't stand the way Vic is being run by the 'clowns' in power at the moment.

I live in N E Vic and the building around here has gone off the scale. There are housing estates popping up left, right and centre.

Let's see a state election campaign, a debate on prime time TV with Credlin vs Andrews! Would be interesting if people underestimated Credlin with her then totally overpowering Andrews in a debate!

Last edited:
Let's see a state election campaign, a debate on prime time TV with Credlin vs Andrews! Would be interesting if people underestimated Credlin with her then totally overpowering Andrews in a debate!

Are you joking? Because that's just stupid. I almost hope that happens so Andrews can be re-elected with a massive majority.

One of my cousin's lives on the Mornington Peninsula, a truly beautiful and vibrant place, but she and her husband want to relocate to NSW because they can't stand the way Vic is being run by the 'clowns' in power at the moment.

I live in N E Vic and the building around here has gone off the scale. There are housing estates popping up left, right and centre.

It's just self-entitled bullshit. Your cousins should be open and admit they want the pandemic to run free, cost tens of thousands of old and fat peoples lives rather than be inconvenienced.

Very interesting article, especially the part that says 'Voters traditionally kick governments out. They don’t elect oppositions'.

I believe this to be very true. Albanese won't win the next election, but rather Morrison will lose (should that be how it plays out). Interesting to see Albo ahead as preferred PM. I think that just shows Aussie's are well and truly fed up with Scomo's incompetence and inability to actually do anything.

Back