Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

I was a polling clerk once in an NZ election and got to see how it all unfolded after the booth closed. I regret not taking the opportunity to take part in the process in AU and experience it behind the scenes. Maybe I'll do it if I ever return to AU.

After the NZ one I went to the local standing Labour MP's gig, where my flatmate embarrassed us all by asking the candidate's wife when she was due. She was not pregnant (and for that matter probably post menopausal). It was not the highlight of the night.

Phelps is back up to 1643 ahead, and I think that margin will continue to grow until the postal vote deadline at the ned of next week (but not by much, can't be many votes still left to arrive). Good for her, and good on Wentworth.

She won't have much time to make an impression before a likely May election, but hopefully she can do it and hold the seat then. That's probably why she's said she doesn't seek to take the government down. I think it's best to let it run its course anyway. Vic election coming right up, then Christmas and New Year, then in March the NSW election... there are just too many distractions to squeeze in a federal election any earlier.

Phelps is back up to 1643 ahead, and I think that margin will continue to grow until the postal vote deadline at the ned of next week (but not by much, can't be many votes still left to arrive). Good for her, and good on Wentworth.

She won't have much time to make an impression before a likely May election, but hopefully she can do it and hold the seat then. That's probably why she's said she doesn't seek to take the government down. I think it's best to let it run its course anyway. Vic election coming right up, then Christmas and New Year, then in March the NSW election... there are just too many distractions to squeeze in a federal election any earlier.
I would LOVE to see Dutton referred to the high court now. Not sure that is going to happen.

Reactions: kxk
I would LOVE to see Dutton referred to the high court now. Not sure that is going to happen.
So would I but, like you, I have my doubts. They might just hold off and be rid of him in May. They almost always get away with everything in the end. Politicians are rarely ever accountable. Peter Slipper ousted over $600, while Stuart Robert just repays his $40,000 internet bill as if nothing happened. Bronny held on like grim death but eventually succumbed (not for want of trying though). No real justice at all for politicians. But yeah, obviously for reasons much bigger than snout-in-trough, Dutton deserves it more than anyone.

So would I but, like you, I have my doubts. They might just hold off and be rid of him in May. They almost always get away with everything in the end. Politicians are rarely ever accountable. Peter Slipper ousted over $600, while Stuart Robert just repays his $40,000 internet bill as if nothing happened. Bronny held on like grim death but eventually succumbed (not for want of trying though). No real justice at all for politicians. But yeah, obviously for reasons much bigger than snout-in-trough, Dutton deserves it more than anyone.
You're right, there is rarely any justice. That internet bill is more than the yearly minimum wage! I don't understand how you could rack up that much in the first place. Barnaby got away with a lot as well. Anyway Dutton being referred to the high court is still on my Xmas list. Failing that I can't see him holding on to his seat at the next federal election so I guess I will just have to be patient.

Anyway Dutton being referred to the high court is still on my Xmas list. Failing that I can't see him holding on to his seat at the next federal election so I guess I will just have to be patient.
Exactly. I'd like to see him go down in the HC but will settle for a crushing end to his political career at the election.

I was a polling clerk once in an NZ election and got to see how it all unfolded after the booth closed. I regret not taking the opportunity to take part in the process in AU and experience it behind the scenes. Maybe I'll do it if I ever return to AU.

After the NZ one I went to the local standing Labour MP's gig, where my flatmate embarrassed us all by asking the candidate's wife when she was due. She was not pregnant (and for that matter probably post menopausal). It was not the highlight of the night.

I have done Election day stuff, the paid stuff, and volunteering for a candidate.
Fascinating, I was surprised the first time I did it as a teenager, how informal it was ........I counted votes in a local government election
As an adult, scrutineers from all sides keep an eye on counting etc.
I love getting involved in election day:)

Best news.....Latham can drag her to new lows and hopefully kill her political everything

And how nice to hear America has some sane people left........and Trump will more likely explode in frustration now he has less power

Best news.....Latham can drag her to new lows and hopefully kill her political everything

And how nice to hear America has some sane people left........and Trump will more likely explode in frustration now he has less power

From what they were saying on the Project, Latham is looking to get into the NSW senate, like Oldfield did. 8 year terms.

Trump also has someone to blame for all the things he can’t get done.

Since its a well-known rite of passage that you must sleep with pauline to consummate your one nation loyalities I wonder if Latham eschewed the post-coital cigarette in favour of a firm handshake.

A perfect result for Trump and his dwindling supporters. With the democrats controlling the house he can now shift the blame to them for his continuous failings.

In theory, the new Democratic majority would have the capacity to initiate impeachment proceedings against Trump, should there be sufficient grounds uncovered in Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation. Though the Republican gains in the Senate make it even less likely that there would be a two-thirds majority needed to convict a president and evict him from office.

Still, it's enough to cause him considerable embarrassment and discomfort for the next two years.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/06/politics/2018-election-updates/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2018-11-07T11:01:10&utm_term=image

Since its a well-known rite of passage that you must sleep with pauline to consummate your one nation loyalities I wonder if Latham eschewed the post-coital cigarette in favour of a firm handshake.
Gross. Stop, Fuzz. Stop!

Back