Skip to main content

New Off Topic Thread ..... (Everyone: please be nice)

Miss Fisher is cute, and glam, and just a nice little bit of old fashioned sweet escapist fluff.
Costumes and settings are just gorgeous.

It is a lovely series, helped my Mum with feelings of abandonment, and feeling like an outsider.
The value and love for education & books is beautiful, and small town life in
Canada.

I used love finding book series, I hated ending a book, having a next instalment was heaven.
As a kid, when I found an author i would read every book they ever wrote, and anything written about them.
The Brontes, Emily especially, I became a bit obsessed with.
Meeting writers for real is kind of magical, have you been to meet any???

ohhh maybe those books will help me with my feelings of outsiderness?

i would be wayyy toooo shy to meet anyone famous. i would shake a lot. even someone like Tina Arena.

have you met anyone famous? if so what were they like?

and yeah it is good to read a series of books.

Miss Fisher is cute, and glam, and just a nice little bit of old fashioned sweet escapist fluff.
Costumes and settings are just gorgeous.

ohhhh i must watch it then. i enjoy the visual scenery of the 1930's Poirot series.

ahhhhh mooosek.

i was just wondering if you said it was weird because it was actually dubbed in french even though you lived in germany.

i can just imagine you sitting down to watch the show when you realize that it has been dubbed in french.

"ohhhh no! i haven't learnt french yet! damn you tv" you say shaking your fist at the tv.

Moose has been in Germany, I suspect it is dubbed in German, yeah???

Have you ever wondered how you would have fared if born in another time?

Nöoo. Its that i am used to hearing their regular voices.

Kind of weird like suddenly hearing Donald trump starting speaking like Obama

Nöoo. Its that i am used to hearing their regular voices.

Kind of weird like suddenly hearing Donald trump starting speaking like Obama

oh god i can't believe that evil despot trump will be president. sickening. absolutely sickening.

You would love Fisher reepbot, it is very Agatha/Poiret kind of stuff, gorgeous 20s/30s decor and flashy clothes.
Plus Miss Fisher is utterly charming.

Moose has been in Germany, I suspect it is dubbed in German, yeah???

Have you ever wondered how you would have fared if born in another time?

possibly, but it is funny to think of it being dubbed in French.

i think i would fare ok back to at least maybe the 1970's.

i must confess i would enjoy going back to the late 80's early 90's era. the press gang era.

i also enjoy the music of that time. with tina and all that.

You would love Fisher reepbot, it is very Agatha/Poiret kind of stuff, gorgeous 20s/30s decor and flashy clothes.
Plus Miss Fisher is utterly charming.

i'll check it out.

i saw a film that was based on Agatha Christie's best selling novel:

And Then There Were None.

it was set in a large hotel in the Iranian desert.

possibly one of her most famous works. a fiendish puzzle.

ohhh maybe those books will help me with my feelings of outsiderness?

i would be wayyy toooo shy to meet anyone famous. i would shake a lot. even someone like Tina Arena.

have you met anyone famous? if so what were they like?

and yeah it is good to read a series of books.

Authors are often not that famous, and can be surprising always intriguing

I met authors when I was at uni, so it was in an academic setting and not threatening at all.
We had authors in residence, you could go and see them for private chats too.
They were great, sweet unassuming, helpful.

Gwen Harwood, poet, was surprising, little old lady - I thought she would be tall and fierce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwen_Harwood

You can meet all kinds of writers reepbot, and they are usually kind and helpful

I met authors when I was at uni, so it was in an academic setting and not threatening at all.
We had authors in residence, you could go and see them for private chats too.
They were great, sweet unassuming, helpful.

Gwen Harwood, poet, was surprising, little old lady - I thought she would be tall and fierce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwen_Harwood

You can meet all kinds of writers reepbot, and they are usually kind and helpful

yes i imagine they would be very helpful indeed. being that writing can be a tough market to crack.

what era could you see yourself living in?

would you like to see the future or the past?

And that guy Bryce Courtney, used to visit a friend of mine in hospital when she had cancer. Just because she wrote to him about writing.

Living in a different time - for women, I would have likely been shot, locked up, or jumped off a bridge.
Have you heard of Shakespeare's sister?

Virginia Woolfe - A Room of One's Own, excerpt...(she gave a lecture, positing if Shakespeare had a gifted sister, she would have jumped off a bridge, the lecture was given to women in anger at how restricted education still was. library access etc limited, lectures limited etc)

....any woman born with a great gift in the sixteenth century would certainly have gone crazed, shot herself, or ended her days in some lonely cottage outside the village, half witch, half wizard, feared and mocked at. For it needs little skill in psychology to be sure that a highly gifted girl who had tried to use her gift for poetry would have been so thwarted and hindered by other people, so tortured and pulled asunder by her own contrary instincts, that she must have lost her health and sanity to a certainty

http://ww3.haverford.edu/psychology/ddavis/psych214/woolf.room.html

I think I would have had to pretend to be male, as some did.

And that guy Bryce Courtney, used to visit a friend of mine in hospital when she had cancer. Just because she wrote to him about writing.

Living in a different time - for women, I would have likely been shot, locked up, or jumped off a bridge.
Have you heard of Shakespeare's sister?

Virginia Woolfe - A Room of One's Own, excerpt...(she gave a lecture, positing if Shakespeare had a gifted sister, she would have jumped off a bridge, the lecture was given to women in anger at how restricted education still was. library access etc limited, lectures limited etc)

....any woman born with a great gift in the sixteenth century would certainly have gone crazed, shot herself, or ended her days in some lonely cottage outside the village, half witch, half wizard, feared and mocked at. For it needs little skill in psychology to be sure that a highly gifted girl who had tried to use her gift for poetry would have been so thwarted and hindered by other people, so tortured and pulled asunder by her own contrary instincts, that she must have lost her health and sanity to a certainty

http://ww3.haverford.edu/psychology/ddavis/psych214/woolf.room.html

I think I would have had to pretend to be male, as some did.

i have not heard of Shakespeare's sister.

though with now that evil trump gaining power due to Russian hacks and Putin influence we are probably now entering into dangerously uncertain times.

That reference takes you to the lecture, and it is only a short read. I saw it dramatised and it was an electric performance

That reference takes you to the lecture, and it is only a short read. I saw it dramatised and it was an electric performance

i would have liked to have seen that dramatized.

it is very good when you see performances that make you tingle.

Reactions: kxk
Back