Skip to main content

New Off Topic Thread ..... (Everyone: please be nice)

I do a lot of heavy reading for work so my guilty pleasure is a good who dunnit. I also read a lot of Enid Bayton as a child and I actually enjoyed re-reading Tuppeny, Feefo and Jinks about five years ago.

The Enid Blyton books I remember reading were The Magic Faraway tree, the secret seven, and Noddy.

I also read Tintin and Asterix.

I have bouts of Asterix reading.
Very clever. I remember my grade 1 teacher reading The Magic Faraway Tree to the class and I was mesmerised.
I started reading Agatha Christie as a teen which started me on the crime genre. Now I read Coben, Child, Crais, Connelly, Evanovich, Grafton, Patterson.

I've still got some of them but my kids weren't interested. I enjoyed the Magic Faraway Tree too @reepbot but I don't remember being particularly interested in the noddy stories.

Is that Sue Grafton @Khun Khun ? I love her books. Have you tried JD Robb? I think she is my current favourite.

I've still got some of them but my kids weren't interested. I enjoyed the Magic Faraway Tree too @reepbot but I don't remember being particularly interested in the noddy stories.

i think, looking back on it, that i was probably more enamored with the noddy tv show when i was little.

Is that Sue Grafton @Khun Khun ? I love her books. Have you tried JD Robb? I think she is my current favourite.
Yes it is and I tried JD but couldn't get into them. I got as far as the one where they married.
I'm reading chapter 2 of Travels with my Aunt by Grahame Greene.

Thanks for that @reepbot Seems that I enjoy them too. I'm currently listening to MC Beaton's Hamish McBeth series and I reckon they qualify.

they are enjoyable, though sometimes you have to suspend your belief a bit in some of the genre. otherwise you would be rolling your eyes over how incompetent the police are.

Miss Fishers Mysteries, likely fit that cozy category. I have started watching some repeats just for the clothes, setting.
Gorgeous production, very likeable lead.

And speaking of books, do you have any family traditions or collections.

Miss Fishers Mysteries, likely fit that cozy category. I have started watching some repeats just for the clothes, setting.
Gorgeous production, very likeable lead.

And speaking of books, do you have any family traditions or collections.

yeah that looks like a good series.

no book type traditions in my family.

By traditions - we all read Ethel Turner's books, and I have the original 7 Little Australians and some more of Mum's old books.

We all read The What Katy Did series.

And Mum was in love with the Anne of Green Gables series, she thought she was Anne - being virtually an orphan, with red hair, living in a country town.
As she neared death, she would re-read Anne lovingly, I knew then something was wrong.

And after death, the family fought over who should have her books more than anything else.

By traditions - we all read Ethel Turner's books, and I have the original 7 Little Australians and some more of Mum's old books.

We all read The What Katy Did series.

And Mum was in love with the Anne of Green Gables series, she thought she was Anne - being virtually an orphan, with red hair, living in a country town.
As she neared death, she would re-read Anne lovingly, I knew then something was wrong.

And after death, the family fought over who should have her books more than anything else.

ohhh i've heard of Anne of Green Gables.

It is a lovely series, helped my Mum with feelings of abandonment, and feeling like an outsider.
The value and love for education & books is beautiful, and small town life in
Canada.

I used love finding book series, I hated ending a book, having a next instalment was heaven.
As a kid, when I found an author i would read every book they ever wrote, and anything written about them.
The Brontes, Emily especially, I became a bit obsessed with.
Meeting writers for real is kind of magical, have you been to meet any???

Back