Skip to main content

Doctor Who

I came online expecting a triggered Sticky and I'm far from disappointed. Love your work Sticky

I think Jodie will be a great person to take the Doctor's role. She is a fabulous actress based on her performance in Broadchurch.

I just hope you doesn't get a media ear-bash for her style or what she wears or what-not. As if the doctor would care.

I came online expecting a triggered Sticky and I'm far from disappointed. Love your work Sticky

I think Jodie will be a great person to take the Doctor's role. She is a fabulous actress based on her performance in Broadchurch.

I just hope you doesn't get a media ear-bash for her style or what she wears or what-not. As if the doctor would care.

OOOOps....bugger....sorry in advance for the fashion/hair commentary :)

...haha!... thanks BigBrotherCritic lol!... I'm glad that I didn't disappoint you... but as I've said before in my previous posts... as much as I think that its ridiculous that The Doctor is a female I will be supporting Jodie and Chris to the hilt in their new endeavour... it's due to my respect for such a brilliant show that is my most favourite show ever that I've loved for 54 years so I could never abandon it just because it's done a change that I haven't liked... and it's also due to my respect for Jodie Whittaker as an actress that has taken on the role... I'm sure that she will do the role proud... and finally... due to my respect for Chris Chibnall as a writer and now the forerunner head writer of the series...

...as you have most likely gathered... I've never had that respect for Steve Moffatt as the head writer for quite along time now so good riddance to him... at least that is one thing that is good about the new change so it's not quite 'death-on-a-stick' after all is it?... lol!... but anyway... onwards we go into new adventures in Time and Space I guess?... lol!... cheers.

Hey @Medusa, the look she has in the intro may change, nice first look, I do like she changed her hair, makes it easier to leave Beth Lattimer behind.
She certainly has good acting chops, anyone who has done Shakespeare is fabulous, English have a river of sensational actors, so glad Doctor is always a BRIT - take heart from that fact @Mr Stickyfingers, nobody but a Brit....
And also take heart, DW has always been feminist, way back to the first producer:)

13 Questions for the Thirteenth Doctor
Sunday 16 July 2017, 17:37

We interviewed Jodie Whittaker about taking on the role of the Doctor…

1) What does it feel like to be the Thirteenth Doctor?
It’s very nerve-racking, as it’s been so secret!

2) Why did you want the role?
To be asked to play the ultimate character, to get to play pretend in the truest form: this is why I wanted to be an actor in the first place. To be able to play someone who is literally reinvented on screen, with all the freedoms that brings: what an unbelievable opportunity. And added to that, to be the first woman in that role.

3) Has it been hard to keep the secret?
Yes. Very hard! I’ve told a lot of lies! I’ve embroiled myself in a whole world of lies which is going to come back at me when this is announced!

4) Who was the first person you told when you got the role?
My husband. Because I was allowed to!

5) Did you have a codename and if so what was it?
In my home, and with my agent, it was The Clooney. Because to me and my husband, George is an iconic guy. And we thought: what’s a really famous iconic name? It was just fitting.

6) What does it feel like to be the first woman Doctor?
It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you’re told you can and can’t be. It feels incredible.

7) What do you want to tell the fans?
I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender. Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that’s exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one.

8) What are you most excited about?
I’m most excited about becoming part of a family I didn’t even know existed. I was born in 1982, it’s been around longer than me, and it’s a family I couldn’t ever have dreamed I’d be part of.

9) How did Chris sell you the part?
We had a strange chat earlier this year where he tricked me into thinking we were talking about Broadchurch. And I started to quiz him about his new job in Wales, and asked him if I could be a baddie! And he quickly diverted the conversation to suggest I should consider auditioning to be the 13th Clooney.

It was the most incredible chat because I asked every question under the sun, and I said I’d take a few weeks to decide whether I was going to audition. He got a phone call within 24 hours. He would’ve got a phone call sooner, but my husband was away and there was a time difference!

10) Did he persuade you?
No. There was no persuasion needed. If you need to be persuaded to do this part, you’re not right for this part, and the part isn’t right for you. I also think, for anyone taking this on, you have to want to fight for it, which I certainly had to do. I know there will have been some phenomenal actors who threw their hats in the ring.

11) What are you going to wear?
Don’t know yet.

12) Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as the new Doctor?
No.

13) Have any of the other Doctors given you advice?
Well they can’t because they haven’t known until now, but I’m certainly expecting a couple of calls – I’ve got a couple of mates in there. I’m mates with a companion [Arthur Darvill], I’m mates with a trio of Doctors. I know Matt Smith, Chris Eccleston and obviously David Tennant. Oh! And let’s throw in David Bradley! Four Doctors! So I’m hoping I get some calls of advice.

Jodie Whittaker Biography
Jodie Whittaker graduated from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in 2005 with a gold medal in Acting. Since then she has worked continually in Film, Television and Theatre. Her TV credits include the critically acclaimed ITV drama 'Broadchurch' (for which she was nominated for ‘Best Actress’ for the RTS Television Awards), Emmy award-winning 'Black Mirror’, Sky 1’s 'The Smoke', BBC’s 'Cranford’, in which she starred opposite Judi Dench and Imelda Staunton, 'The Night Watch'(BBC), 'The Accused'(BBC), and 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' (BBC).

Jodie has recently finished shooting 'Journeyman' written and directed by Paddy Considine as well as the lead in the new BBC drama series ‘Trust Me’. Her other film credits include 'Venus', (which earned her nominations for 'Best Newcomer' at the 'British Independent Film Awards', 'Best British Newcomer' at the 'Critic's Circle Awards' and 'Best Actress in a Motion Picture' at the 'Satellite Awards'), 'Attack the Block', 'One Day', 'Black Sea', 'Good Vibrations', 'St.Trinian's', 'Get Santa' and most recently 'Adult Life Skills' which she Executive Produced as well as starred in which received a number of BIFA nominations.
Jodie made her professional theatrical debut at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in ‘The Storm’. Other theatre credits include playing the title role in 'Antigone' at the Royal National Theatre, 'Bash' at the Trafalgar Studios 'Awake and Sing' and 'Enemies' at the Almeida, both directed by the then Artistic Director, Michael Attenborough.

BBC published salaries of everyone yesterday......

Actors earning between £200,000 and £249,999 include Peter Capaldi, who plays Doctor Who, Danny Dyer and Adam Woodyatt, the EastEnders stars, Sir David Jason and Emilia Fox.

Far out maybe he left because the money ain't so great in your older years to stash away for retirement, Capaldi in my opinion is worth paying millions.

Here you go Mr Sticky.
Moffat admits one thing he got wrong - but it's not the teletubby Daleks.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...-doctor-who-regret--and-it-might-surprise-you

...haha!... thanks Meglos... sadly... Moffatt's ego won't allow him to admit to his real 'crimes' to the Whoniverse as I have stated on so many occasions before now lol!... but... I won't go there for the sake of everyone's sanity lol!... but hey... the thankful side of the new change is that I don't have expend my time on criticising the twonk anymore lol!... bring it on Chris Chibnall and Jodie WHOttaker!... cheers.

LOL...David was at the tennis final

David_Tennant_s_at_Wimbledon_and_Doctor_Who_fans_can_t_cope.jpg

Fans were going bonkers, hoping he would stand up with a sign saying he is no.13

LOL...David was at the tennis final

David_Tennant_s_at_Wimbledon_and_Doctor_Who_fans_can_t_cope.jpg

Fans were going bonkers, hoping he would stand up with a sign saying he is no.13

...David's still my most favourite Doctor ever... Capaldi came soooooo close but never quite pipped him as my #1 though... David is superb... actually... I'm sure that I have some sort of 'man crush' on him to be honest lol!... cheers.

...I've said to you all that I'm over the fact that The Doctor is now a woman which I am... but just to let you all in on something that I found on my computer today while looking for something else... remember that little 10 year old boy back in England that watched the first ever Doctor Who show when William Hartnell (a man) was The Doctor?... well here he is below... lol!... myself when I was that 10 year old kid... and in the second photo my 7 year old brother too... (I'm the one on the right)...

4.jpg

1.jpg

...so as you can imagine... I was quite angry that The Doctor had become a female now... it was hard for that little 10 year old kid within me to accept it because that inner child within me was protesting out so aloud about it but my 64 year old self within me saw reason and accepted that Jodie Whotikker is the new female Doctor... but... that whingey whiney kid within me is still chucking a tanty but I'll keep him in check for now I promise!... (but I reserve the right to release him again if Doctor Who has gone to shit halfway through next season though lol!)... but until then... that little mongrel kid within me will remain silent... I promise!... lol!... cheers.

What did the Doctor say to the cat?

Nothing. She was too busy fighting daleks.

How many members of UNIT does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One. It's not that hard.

What does Clara, a Sontaran, and a lamp have in common?

The ingredients of some bad fan fiction.

Why did Missy cross the road?

To get some milk.

Oh @Mr Stickyfingers the boyhood pics are so precious, you really should enter a superfan comp with those, your awesome art work and general passion would surely win.

More about our new doctor

Jodie Whittaker: the 'force of nature' taking on Doctor Who
People who have worked with the Yorkshire-born star say she is hardworking, hilarious, and perfect for the role

2500.jpg

Jodie Whittaker was 23 years old and newly graduated from drama school when she was cast in her first on-screen role as the title character in Venus, opposite none other than Peter O’Toole. Being required to hold one’s own against the then seven-time Oscar-nominated acting legend might have daunted some actors, but the young woman from Skelmanthorpe in West Yorkshire seemed surprised at the suggestion.

“Everyone kept asking: ‘Where did the director find you?’, like he had picked me up on a train platform or something,” she told a journalist at the time. In fact, having left drama school early for a part at the Globe theatre opposite Mark Rylance, another formidable co-star, she had “rocked up” at the audition feeling full of confidence. “I know I seem like I’m something from a documentary. But, eh – no.”

This solid, unshowy self-belief has steered Whittaker through a career, in the 12 years since, that has encompassed period roles, comedy and anguished dramatic performances, most notably her acclaimed portrayal of the bereaved mother Beth Latimer in three series of Broadchurch.

It will also, no doubt, be helpful in the next few months as Whittaker assumes one of the most talked-about roles in television history, as the first female Doctor in Doctor Who’s 54-year history.

The teasing announcement of Whittaker’s casting, screened immediately after Sunday’s Wimbledon men’s final, caused an immediate shockwave, notably on social media, where a minority of enraged Doctor Who fans declared they would never watch the programme again, and tens of thousands of people retweeted a video of a young girl’s astonished delight that “the new Doctor is a girl!”.

“I got a news alert on my phone and I thought: ‘I just can’t believe that,’” says Anthony Wilcox, who directed Whittaker in the feature film Hello Carter in 2013. “And then, 10 seconds later, I thought, well of course – she is absolutely perfect.”

Why? “She is exactly the sort of person you would want to go on an adventure with, and who you would back to lead you out of trouble. You can imagine her getting the better of a Dalek and leaving a smile on your face at the same time, and those two things combined make it an ideal piece of casting.”

Though she had not quite, until Sunday at least, broken into household name territory, a glance at the roles Whittaker has played reveals why her face, at least, is likely to be familiar. Early parts in the St Trinian’s movies were followed by performances in the costume dramas Cranford and Marchlands, the adaptation of Sarah Waters’s book The Night Watch and Joe Cornish’s cult zombie-meets-hoodie thriller Attack the Block, which also launched the career of the Star Wars actor John Boyega.
She appeared in an episode of Charlie Brooker’s Black Mirror, as Anne Hathaway’s best friend in the film adaption of the bestseller One Day and in the highly regarded film about the Belfast punk scene Good Vibrations, managing a faultless Northern Irish accent.

But her quietly devastating performance in Broadchurch was key to clinching the Doctor Who role, not least because Chris Chibnall, the writer of Broadchurch, is the new executive producer of the sci-fi show. Whittaker, he said this week, had always been his first choice to take over from Peter Capaldi as the 13th Doctor, describing her as “a super-smart force of nature”.

The same term is used by Christian Burgess, vice-principal and director of drama at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama, who taught Whittaker when she first joined the school as a mouthy northerner whose background was very different to that of many of her classmates. They have remained close friends since.

“I think initially Jodie felt she hadn’t had a very powerful formal education, but she has got this innate actor’s intelligence which she gradually came to recognise as being much more useful than having been to Oxford or Cambridge,” he says.

“She’s fearless, that’s the thing. And when she decides she wants a job – and she’s quite selective about what she wants to do – she goes into a room and convinces them that they have to have her.”

He recalls running into Hanif Kureishi, who wrote the script for Venus, who told him: “That girl Jodie is amazing!” The novelist and screenwriter had originally written the role for a Londoner, but the young actor had convinced him it should be played by a northerner – and that northerner should be her.

In her final year, Burgess recalls, Whittaker played a small role in a production in which she had to briefly ride a bike – “and her agent signed her on the basis of riding this bicycle across the stage”. Why? “She was hilarious, and laughing. So free. She has this freedom in her body. And they recognised it.” It has been a very useful story, he notes, to tell students in subsequent years who complain about not being given bigger parts.

A former drama school classmate and close friend, who watched as Whittaker was the first in their year to be snapped up by an agent, says: “The ones [in our class] who did particularly well early on were people who were very switched on, had figured out the business very quickly and also knew themselves very well. That’s something Jodie did very well. She knows who she is.”

1299.jpg

Pt 2
The girl who would one day become the Doctor was born in 1982 and brought up in Skelmanthorpe, a small village outside Huddersfield, where her father had a windows business and her mother was a nurse. At school, she has confessed, she didn’t have much interest in academic subjects, but was an unfailing show-off. “I was the attention-seeking child in class who needed everyone to look at meeee!”

After she decided she wanted to make a career of acting, her parents were always 100% supportive. “Their attitude was that I should go for the thing I wanted and [not] waste time on a back-up plan. They were fantastic in saying: ‘If you want it, do it.’”

A close-knit and fiercely protective gang from her youth are still among her closest friends – among them the writer and director Rachel Tunnard, with whom she made the award-winning Adult Life Skills last year. “She calls them her besties,” says Burgess. “There’s a circle of them from all walks of life, and they have been friends forever, and they look after each other, and I think they are very, very important to her.”

The actor herself is equally protective of her privacy – she rarely speaks in interviews about her marriage to the American actor Christian Contreras, whom she met at drama school, and has sought to shield their young child from the publicity storm following the Doctor Who announcement.

But for Nicola Shindler, who was executive producer of the forthcoming BBC1 thriller Trust Me, in which Whittaker takes on the challenging central role, she is also refreshingly unstarry.

“This is going to sound really sickly, but she is the nicest woman, and really hardworking,” says Shindler. “And she led a cast fantastically. She was always there, never complaining, despite having so much to do.”

Whittaker’s role, as a nurse who assumes the identity of her doctor best friend, required her to learn a lot of technical procedures and spend long hours on set, says Shindler. “She was in every day and she worked her arse off, but in a really pleasant way … If you have an actor at the centre of everything who has a really positive attitude, who is going to work really hard and embrace the whole process, it is hard for everyone else not to follow suit.” The thriller, made by RED Productions, screens in early August.

Leading the cast and production of a drama as significant as Doctor Who will require all the actor’s toughness, charisma and charm. But for the author Jenny Colgan, who has written a number of Doctor Who novels, the fact that the newest Doctor is a woman won’t change anything about the programme: “It’s nothing more than some pronoun difficulties.”

Colgan will confess, however, to being delighted that a woman is to assume the role – “mostly because I think it will be brilliant and fun, and partly because my children, after a year of Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters, genuinely didn’t even realise there was or might be a fuss.”

Jodie Whittaker

Born: 3 June 1982

Career: Made an instant impact on leaving drama school with roles opposite Peter O’Toole and Mark Rylance. A busy and diverse career followed on stage, film and particularly TV, in which she has barely stopped working.

High point: A powerful and acclaimed performance in three series of ITV’s Broadchurch, followed by the announcement this week that she had been cast as the first female Doctor.

Low point: News of Whittaker’s casting inevitably led to a backlash among some Doctor Who fans (“Nobody wants a Tardis full of bras,” said one), while several tabloid newspapers responded by publishing photographs of the actor naked in previous roles (“Doctor Nude!”).

What she says: “I am a quiet person’s nightmare. The only time I shut up is when I’m reading, because I’m a book geek. I was the attention-seeking child in class who needed everyone to look at meeee. Luckily that got channelled into acting, because I would have been terrible at anything else.”

What they say: “[Fans were] shocked to begin with, but I think the underlying feeling is excitement, because we are going to have something very new that is going to inject some life into the show.” Sebastian Brook, editor, Doctor Who Online

...I've said to you all that I'm over the fact that The Doctor is now a woman which I am... but just to let you all in on something that I found on my computer today while looking for something else... remember that little 10 year old boy back in England that watched the first ever Doctor Who show when William Hartnell (a man) was The Doctor?... well here he is below... lol!... myself when I was that 10 year old kid... and in the second photo my 7 year old brother too... (I'm the one on the right)...

View attachment 53095

View attachment 53096

...so as you can imagine... I was quite angry that The Doctor had become a female now... it was hard for that little 10 year old kid within me to accept it because that inner child within me was protesting out so aloud about it but my 64 year old self within me saw reason and accepted that Jodie Whotikker is the new female Doctor... but... that whingey whiney kid within me is still chucking a tanty but I'll keep him in check for now I promise!... (but I reserve the right to release him again if Doctor Who has gone to shit halfway through next season though lol!)... but until then... that little mongrel kid within me will remain silent... I promise!... lol!... cheers.
Sticky these photos are wonderful. Thanks very much for sharing!

Back