Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Interesting choice. I just hope they chose her because she was the best fit for the role, not because he BBC wanted to pander to certain demographics.

I wonder how they'll write the Doctor going on historical adventures? I mean are people from like the 1800's going to believe in respect in a woman doctor considering back then women were treated much worse than men? And if they do respect her is that going to come across as believable?

They've clearly been laying the groundwork for some time that a 'diversification' of the Doctor was going to happen. I think it's largely driven by BBC casting policies, because the Doctor Who would have be one of their big money spinners, and the 'economic' decision would be not to take chances with it.

I don't think historical realism on race/gender issues is a big issue for Doctor Who. Well it hasn't been before and I don't expect them to make it one.[DOUBLEPOST=1500302307][/DOUBLEPOST]
...I do have to admit one thing about Jodie Whittaker... she is a gorgeous looking woman... very pretty indeed!... cheers.

You coming around already, Mr. S? ;)

Ok, I wasn't thrilled, partly because I don't know her, and partly because I now feel just about anyone is going to be a step down from Capaldi. Anyway I will wait and see.

The only questions really are whether there will there is still a sense of continuity with the Doctor. And the fact being that we all regard men and women differently, will we feel the same way about a woman behaving Doctorly, being to various degrees brusque, eccentric, self-centred, detached, etc. as we do a man.

Ok, I wasn't thrilled, partly because I don't know her, and partly because I now feel just about anyone is going to be a step down from Capaldi. Anyway I will wait and see.

The only questions really are whether there will there is still a sense of continuity with the Doctor. And the fact being that we all regard men and women differently, will we feel the same way about a woman behaving Doctorly, being to various degrees brusque, eccentric, self-centred, detached, etc. as we do a man.

Women can be those characteristics too. But I reckon Chris and Jodie will try and make a conscious effort to steer the Doctor's personality into a slightly more caring version if only to separate her Doctor from Capaldi's.

Women can be those characteristics too. But I reckon Chris and Jodie will try and make a conscious effort to steer the Doctor's personality into a slightly more caring version if only to separate her Doctor from Capaldi's.

The question is how it is perceived, not whether it is possible. Maybe they will take this opportunity to make the Doctor slightly less of the tortured loner than he has been since the reboot.

Mr Sticky, it seems you can let Moffat off the hook... Seems it was always Chibnall's plan to cast a female DDoctor.

http://www.gallifreyannewsroom.com/?p=5673

In an interview back in February this year, Chibnall appeared to step away from the idea of a female Time Lord, saying he wants to avoid a “gimmick” casting. “Nothing is ruled out but I don’t want the casting to be a gimmick and that’s all I can say,” the Broadchurch writer told the East Anglian Daily Times when asked if the new Doctor could be female.

However, after the news broke today that Whittaker was the new Doctor, Chibnall indicated that he’d always planned for a woman to take the part. “I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice… The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way,” he said.

Peter Capaldi said:
Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker’s work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm. She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She’s going to be a fantastic Doctor.

Jodie Whittaker said:
...I’m certainly expecting a couple of calls - I’ve got a couple of mates in there. I’m mates with a companion [Arthur Darvill], I’m mates with a trio of Doctors. I know Matt Smith, Chris Eccleston and obviously David Tennant. Oh! And let’s throw in David Bradley! Four Doctors! So I’m hoping I get some calls of advice.

Colin Baker said:
Well I never the BBC really did do the right thing and let the Doctor be in touch with her feminine side. As a father of daughters - result!

Sylvester McCoy said:
Congratulations Jodie Whittaker!!!!! One small step for Women, one Giant leap for Womenkind!!

Peter Davison said:
It might be more helpful to be encouraging, and not simply scornful, of fans who are uncertain about change.!!

Katy Manning said:
12 actors have given their superb magic touch to creating their Doctors & I feel 13 will be a corker good on you Chris Chibnall

Janet Fielding said:
I was zooming round in the #Tardis the yr #jodiewhittaker was born. Never thought then I'd ever see a female #Dr. V excited. Yipppeeeee

Louise Jameson said:
Congratulations to the brilliantly talented #jodiewhittaker Fabulous that we have a female doctor. Squeeeeeeee

Mr Sticky, it seems you can let Moffat off the hook... Seems it was always Chibnall's plan to cast a female DDoctor.

http://www.gallifreyannewsroom.com/?p=5673

In an interview back in February this year, Chibnall appeared to step away from the idea of a female Time Lord, saying he wants to avoid a “gimmick” casting. “Nothing is ruled out but I don’t want the casting to be a gimmick and that’s all I can say,” the Broadchurch writer told the East Anglian Daily Times when asked if the new Doctor could be female.

However, after the news broke today that Whittaker was the new Doctor, Chibnall indicated that he’d always planned for a woman to take the part. “I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our number one choice… The Thirteenth Doctor is on her way,” he said.

...nice try too Meglos but no... Moffatt is still totally to blame for this as far as I'm concerned... as I said in an earlier post... Moffatt's long term story arcs are responsible for The Doctor being a woman... Chibnall is taking the fall for the backlash that's all... it's quite evident when he ruled it out in February but then said yesterday that "he'd always planned for a woman to take the part"... Moffatt is the one that has brought this change about as far as I'm concerned...

...Moffatt has always changed Doctor Who icons so as to 'leave his mark' on the 'Doctor Whoniverse' with massive backlashes by Whovians that made him reverse those decisions... take the big fat gay Daleks/Sonic Sunnies and the latest Cybermen suits of armour that look like medieval jousting suits of armour... all that's missing is the fluffy quaff on top of the helmet... and that's just naming a few off the top of my head... he tried to make permanent huge changes... they backfired on him big time and then he reversed those decisions because of the backlash...(except that we're still stuck with this medieval jousting suits on the Cybermen of course)... Moffatt was wrong on those occasions as he is now for me personally...

...don't get me wrong though Meglos... I love a lot of changes that have happened in Doctor Who... The Master becoming Missy/the reintroduction of Gallifrey into the show/the War Doctor/Davros as a boy/The Doctor and The Master as young boys together etc just to name a few... (all they have to do now is bring Paul McGann back into the storyline again in future episodes and my Whovian dreams are complete!)... so I love certain changes in places but not when you mess around with established icons like trying to change something that is set in concrete within the Whoniverse... The Doctor becoming a female is one of those for me personally... you don't change The Daleks... you don't change the Cybermen into Medieval jousting Knights... you don't get rid of the Sonic Screwdriver and you don't change the sex of The Doctor!... it's as simple as that for me at least...

...but getting back to Moffatt... he has made mistakes before... he's made one now... I will not change my mind on this... call me a 'stubborn old fart set in his ways' if you wish but SOME THINGS should stay as they are... The Doctor's sex being one of them!... but... as I said... good luck to Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall and I hope that I am proved wrong halfway through next season but I can't see it myself... I love this show way too much to pull up the stumps and take my bat and ball home while sooking about it... I just hope that it works for them... and our beloved show... as I said... my heart will be in it but my mind and soul won't be... cheers.

Not even this can make you feel better, Mr Sticky?

20031967_1980433408858644_1771578856380348933_n.jpg

Moving forward......now over the surprise that wasn't a surprise, if you know what I mean....well, have never been this familiar with the new incarnation, I expected a substantial and older female, Gomez aged & style, or a hot young guy. I really like getting a surprise, being introduced to a sparkly new person I can adore....and realise often I have liked them previously.

NOW: EXCITED...
I hope for a connection with those woodlands she walks through, some interesting new Doctor mythical stuff - she is after all beyond the old regens, into new regen era....make that magical please.

I will love her - as long she isn't totally crap and beyond my viewing loyalty - ie Colin the fool Baker, never have I watched more than 5 mins of him.

I can't wait now to see how this all evolves....we are in for a ride and a half....what kind of companion will she pick?

Oh and really, the Doctor is kind of asexual/sexless, how that granddaughter happened is a mystery.......ooo maybe there is something in that stuff?????

Article from 1980. Only took them 37 years!

DE5M7WFVYAUyn8n.jpg

Very exciting times for Doctor Who.

And Mr Sticky, Moffat may have prepared everyone for this possibility (of course it was always a possibility), but Chibnall was the one who wanted this to happen.

I've realised I've seen Jodie in an episode of Black Mirror. Fantastic episode. Here's the trailer...

Not even this can make you feel better, Mr Sticky?

20031967_1980433408858644_1771578856380348933_n.jpg

...bwahahaha!... you've cracked me up with this Meglos!... well done!... lol!... I can just imagine how many feminine jokes that there will be with Jodie as The Doctor... there will be billions!... lol!... and can I say right now... I will be fully behind both Jodie and Chris with the oncoming series next year regardless of my feelings about this... I've had my say on how I feel about it and have given ample reasons as to why I disagree with it so as far as I'm concerned now... it's done with and we go onwards... who knows?... I may even like it as I always have but... I dunno?...

...but... I will also always support a show that is absolutely embedded in my heart... I don't have to agree with it but I will fully support it as I have always done... such is the power of Doctor Who over me so as I've said on a couple of occasions previously... good luck Jodie and Chris... please make this a better show than Moffatt ever did!... that's all I ask... cheers.[/QUOTE]

Article from 1980. Only took them 37 years!

DE5M7WFVYAUyn8n.jpg

Very exciting times for Doctor Who.

And Mr Sticky, Moffat may have prepared everyone for this possibility (of course it was always a possibility), but Chibnall was the one who wanted this to happen.

I've realised I've seen Jodie in an episode of Black Mirror. Fantastic episode. Here's the trailer...

...I'd love to agree with you inumeenu but as I have said above on a few occasions... nothing will convince me that anybody but Moffatt is totally responsible for this... Chibnall is picking up the pieces and just making do with what he has been handed over by Moffatt as far as I'm concerned... I will never be convinced otherwise I'm afraid... :)... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
Back