Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Absolutely they are role models. These are normal humans that have no alien powers or abilities, yet have saved the world and the doctor just by being strong independent women.

And they are the heart of the show. They are the reason the Doctor keeps keeping on. The reason he went from a cantankerous selfish Doctor to a Doctor willing to put his lives on the line.

...you are both so spot on with your comments Isee/reepbot... plus we had Missy that showed us just how prominent women have been and always will be such amazing role models for all young females too... (in Missy's case... perhaps showing what NOT to be like I guess?... lol!)... even with guests on the show... the show has always shown womens strong sides and their virtues too... and who started that mindset right from the beginning of the series?... that beautiful wonderful woman by the name of 'Verity Lambert' that's who... so females have always been shown the due respect that they've always deserved within the show so there's no denying that in my books at least... cheers.

Also... you don't need a role model to be the same gender as you for them to be a role model. The female companions are as much of a role model to me as the Doctor is. I don't think of them in terms of gender, just how smart/brave/likeable/loyal they are. Doctor Who is very unique in that it provides all kinds of people of any gender who you can identify with.

...again Meglos... another true statement too... sadly... some of the nastiest comments have been from females on a lot of occasions with the comments towards men about being 'sooks' and 'babies' and also 'bad losers' etc because they dared to disagree with Jodie being the new Doctor... really?... 'bad losers'?... I didn't realise that the role of The Doctor was a competition so colour me bewildered...

...I actually saw one 'lady' write "shove THAT up your male chauvinistic arses you sore losers!" on one UK tabloid comments page... really?... was there a need for that?... especially coming from an obviously angry repressed woman that has been no doubt down trodden and scarred her entire life because the writers of the show have always written the show just for a male Doctor no doubt?... how nasty and what a ridiculous statement to make as far as I'm concerned anyway...

...and also Meglos... when you wrote this... "The female companions are as much of a role model to me as the Doctor is. I don't think of them in terms of gender, just how smart/brave/likeable/loyal they are"... yet another brilliant statement too... and so spot on yet again... cheers.

I have found the nastiness and guilt trips that people are aiming at anyone who voices a concern for the future of the show with a female doctor really is leaving a bad taste. People are allowed to have concerns. Far less has killed off a great show. To be concerned if this is a change that will effect the success of the show does not make people sexist or chauvinistic.

Hey Whovians do any of you watch the other time travelling Doctor????

IE Outlander, the lead is a female MD, who accidently is flung back to 1700s......I watched half of series 1, with the rest recorded.
Now series 2 starts this Thursday - and I am just going to watch without seeing the rest of series 1.

I really like it a lot, the lead is very appealing, her modern day hubbie has been a baddie in DW and he is evil in her old days - he is scary.

Anyway, if you haven't watched it give it a go, BBC of course.

Outlander

'Through A Glass Darkly'

SBS, 10:40pm, Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 65 minutes

NEW SHOW

Returning to her own time in the 20th century, Claire must reconcile her future with the life and love she left behind. Shifting back to the 18th century, Jamie, Claire and Murtagh arrive on the shores of France to turn the tides of history, but quickly learn that Paris presents its own unique set of challenges. Stars Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan.

Directed by Ronald D. Moore. Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan, Duncan Lacroix

Series, United Kingdom, English, Drama, Sci-Fi, Romance

Oh and how dare anyone behave badly towards the very lovely Peter Davison, a wonderful gentleman and very fine actor and human, arseholes...

Hey Whovians do any of you watch the other time travelling Doctor????

IE Outlander, the lead is a female MD, who accidently is flung back to 1700s......I watched half of series 1, with the rest recorded.
Now series 2 starts this Thursday - and I am just going to watch without seeing the rest of series 1.

I really like it a lot, the lead is very appealing, her modern day hubbie has been a baddie in DW and he is evil in her old days - he is scary.

Anyway, if you haven't watched it give it a go, BBC of course.

Outlander

'Through A Glass Darkly'

SBS, 10:40pm, Thu, 27 Jul 2017, 65 minutes

NEW SHOW

Returning to her own time in the 20th century, Claire must reconcile her future with the life and love she left behind. Shifting back to the 18th century, Jamie, Claire and Murtagh arrive on the shores of France to turn the tides of history, but quickly learn that Paris presents its own unique set of challenges. Stars Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan.

Directed by Ronald D. Moore. Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan, Duncan Lacroix

Series, United Kingdom, English, Drama, Sci-Fi, Romance

Oh and how dare anyone behave badly towards the very lovely Peter Davison, a wonderful gentleman and very fine actor and human, arseholes...

...I've never watched it or have heard of it before kxk so thanks for the heads up on that show... I've set it to record so I'll let you know what I think of it once I've watched it... thanks again... cheers.

I love it, and love the lead she is feisty and very likeable - attractive too. I had thought of her for DW I like her that much.
You would like the romance of the whole thing I believe @Mr Stickyfingers , and she is living with Scot rebels when I last viewed.
Has superb BBC production, great acting, exciting stories:)

Awww our favourite Captain.....
42B30A6400000578-0-image-a-38_1501068342832.jpg

Emergency appendix op, nasty I had this at 9, spent my 10 th birthday in hospital.
It hurts, a lot.
Look at his sox!

Awww our favourite Captain.....
42B30A6400000578-0-image-a-38_1501068342832.jpg

Emergency appendix op, nasty I had this at 9, spent my 10 th birthday in hospital.
It hurts, a lot.
Look at his sox!

...haha!... he's such an avid fan isn't he?... lol!... I always say to my sweet darling wife that I could probably turn for Captain Jack and could turn back for Donna Noble!... (she thinks that I'm an idiot obviously lol!)... I just love those socks!... I want them!... I want them!... cheers.

Just watched that @Meglos ...best discussion they have had yet, proves TV is easier to talk about and keep our interest

Was very heartening how many of them know DW, and seems a lot even watch it....weird old shop ladies excluded but even they knew about the Doctor

Some of them were a bit weird about it. I don't know why the Asian lady had a problem with the idea of a woman doctor! But yes, all of them at least knew what it was.

Fantastic @inumeenu

And damn, Adam was doing comedy in the next suburb on thursday for $10, missed it by a day, pissed off, I could have walked there = and quizzed him about Whovians stuff.
So now I will stalk him on the net, he posted this for anyone still hankering for a boy doctor....

20046601_1458940524151785_3467203517112194686_n.jpg

They are either very clever girls as they would be - having such good viewing tastes - or Mum helped a bit

...what I loved about that clip Meglos was that at the 20 seconds mark that they included Paul McGann saying "I'm The Doctor!" too!...

2017-07-30_23-37-11.jpg

...it's about time that they've included him into the 'Doctor Whoniverse' mindset... perhaps they're preparing us for a Paul McGann 'Doctor' guest appearance within the near future maybe?... they don't usually include his Doctor in all of this after all do they?... I sure as hell hope that they do anyway... he'd be a perfect guest appearance for me... as would Susan... The Doctor's 'grand daughter' from the very first episodes all of those years ago... dream Sticky... dream!... cheers.

Stopped by Glasgow. Found the Tardis, but couldn't find The Doctor.

20368789_10159174601145319_688139010250976002_o.jpg
Great pic. That girl to the left looks like she's doing that thing where new companions run around the tiny outside after seeing the huge inside. Any chance you've stumbled across the new Doctor getting a new companion? You look a little Whoish yourself. Anything you want to tell us?

Back