Skip to main content

"Big Brother" 2023 (filmed in 2022) - First promo

UGH. There are two basic principles on which Big Brother was built:
1. Ordinary people are endlessly fascinating.
2. A live format that is not over-produced and edited allows those people to shine.

Why. Do. They. Not. Get. This?! It does my head in!

I have watched every crappy, compromised season of BB just out of love for the original format, but NO MORE. If I wanted to watch a contrived sh*t show featuring two-bit models, influencers, wannabes and Love Island rejects, I’d just swipe TikTok until my eyes bled. That would be more enjoyable and enriching.

The. End.

Exactly. I've no issue with the competitive format either - infact I prefer talk about strategy over arguments over food, and prefer tasks where more than just food is at stake - but feels like they didn't even get that right - and made it even worse by trying to throw in some concessions to the original nominations process last series.

The ratings for the first couple of seasons of the new big brother format were quite reasonable considering there are less people watching television in general than twenty or even ten years ago.

The Big Brother VIP and the old vs new Big Brother season did overcook the goose as so to speak.

Although it baffles me they didn't go with the US format we know that works, even if pre-recorded, the format has never really been the issue here - although I think most of us think splitting it over two nights would work best. They half did that in the third full run but made a mess of it by having two different formats at once. I do wonder if they may have tidied things up this time as I'm sure someone said there are less housemates so with it looking like 20 eps over 5 weeks perhaps they do a 2 day cycle for the first 4 weeks then nightly in the final week?

Obviously though the deal breaker is clearly the non-live format.

No matter how old school some of the people on here are I think most would recognize that the way it used to be would not work in todays world as people would find it too slow and boring. But I just don't understand why Australia have changed the formula so much - Look at the countries that are doing BB successfully and do that. Channel 7 Broke the very concept of what BB is based on and its some kind of show but it isn't BB. I only watched the bad hybrid mix that was the VIP season and I could see what they are trying to achieve with the new stuff, and didn't mind the strategic aspects etc. But it not being live is a terrible idea, because they cannot base production interference on audience feedback (Which you think they would want to do - Oh you like that person - lets show you more of them). But this love theme is just a cringe factor way too far.

No matter how old school some of the people on here are I think most would recognize that the way it used to be would not work in todays world as people would find it too slow and boring
Although the evidence doesn't actually back that up. Indeed most versions now are far less pacy than the show was 20 years ago as most moved towards hour long daily shows rather than the half hour snappy edits (which IMO often showed us more) the show originally had. And whilst BBUSA may only have three hours a week in terms of series length they've gone from it being 10-11 weeks to 13-14 weeks meaning the last few weeks do move quite slowly.

Personally as an old school fan it's me that is finding some of the BBUK episoses at the moment that tad too long - but many of the younger fans think they should be longer.

I'd be more excited if they said they were considering getting rid of Sonia rather than possibly going live again.
Going live is definitely more exciting than who they have hosting, especially if they have an engaging cast!

Although the evidence doesn't actually back that up. Indeed most versions now are far less pacy than the show was 20 years ago as most moved towards hour long daily shows rather than the half hour snappy edits (which IMO often showed us more) the show originally had. And whilst BBUSA may only have three hours a week in terms of series length they've gone from it being 10-11 weeks to 13-14 weeks meaning the last few weeks do move quite slowly.

Personally as an old school fan it's me that is finding some of the BBUK episoses at the moment that tad too long - but many of the younger fans think they should be longer.
Interesting to know :) I don't watch any BB anymore, but I do know that the new longer survivor episodes in the USA seems to be well received over there so that does track, but feedback on this forum is that most find it boring.

Back