Skip to main content

Would anyone else like Sonia Kruger replaced?

Obviously Gretel is proven and she would be ideal, Sonia is better than Kyle & Jackie-O though. Chrissie or Bree would be very good if you want a potential long term host out of them too and they'll only get better the longer they do it.

I think where Sonia's doing a really good job is in remaining unbiased, not favouring some housemates over others. You could see her affection for Tim and Ben, but other than that, she hasn't come across as being harder on some housemates than others in her interviews. I remember when she first took on the role, she said she had had a chat with Gretel about what to expect, and I think maybe that could have been one of the things Gretel warned her about?

... or Bree would be very good if you want a potential long term host out of them too and they'll only get better the longer they do it.

I never understood Bree's appeal as a HM or why she was given gigs post-BB. I think she would be horrible in the hosting job, even worse that she would be flying solo and unable to lean on someone else ie Ryan Fitzgerald or Mike Goldman for comedic and/or contribution-of-a-personality support.

I too think Sonia is getting better. It really showed in Eds eviction, she didn't let him get away with anything, but she wasn't rude to him either.

Gretel will always be BB Host #1, she was the best by far, but towards the end she really was over it and became quite rude & hostile.

Kyle & Jackie O, ugh, huge mistake.

I wonder how Ben Norris would do? I suggested to Alex in twitter that they should have Ben do a BBUK-BOTS style after show program, with chats & interviews etc. Love him or hate him, he's a natural for that!

Can someone remind me what Sonia's 'cash' comment was to Ed? I can't seem to remember.

Give Sonya a break.

She took on a massive role to replace Gretal that we had for years.

It took Gretal a few years to get it down pack and really let herself go in the role.

I think Sonya really improved this year on the role and next year, she will be even better.

Who should you replace her with ?

Give Sonya a break.

It took Gretal a few years to get it down pack and really let herself go in the role.

I think Sonya really improved this year on the role and next year, she will be even better.

I agree with this. Last year Sonia didn't really look like she was comfortable in the role of host but this year she improved so much.

I think BB needs to give her more chances at making jokes at the expense of the HMs. After BB played the Ed montage talking about his cards Sonia made a few jokes about it, although I'm not sure if she went of script or they were on the prompter but either way I laughed.

Channel Nine don't really have anyone else working at their network that I could see as a person who would be suited to the role of Host of BB. Next year I am predicting Sonia will be even better as a host. Maybe she should use this time in between BB seasons to improve her interview skills but other than that I think she is doing fine.

Give Sonya a break.

I don't know enough Australian newscasters/celebs, but I would pick someone with a bit more personality who is genuinely interested in the show, asks questions that the fans want answers to and capable of going off script (don't even have a script, have an outline). She is an ok first attempt but she is like a cardboard cutout come to life.

I don't know enough Australian newscasters/celebs, but I would pick someone with a bit more personality who is genuinely interested in the show, asks questions that the fans want answers to and capable of going off script (don't even have a script, have an outline). She is an ok first attempt but she is like a cardboard cutout come to life.

I think that Sonia is being forced to stay on script by the network. And what gave you the impression that she is not interested in the show. Sonia hosts Mornings on Channel Nine so during the week when she does not have a live show to present she has to fly back to Sydney and can't stay on the GC and watch everything that is going on in the BB house like Gretel did.

I think that Sonia is being forced to stay on script by the network.

That is exactly why she was hired, this is a bad thing. If they wanted someone who could work off script they wouldn't have picked Sonia. It isn't all about constraints, she fits the mold that they want (a pretty face with an earpiece and a tele prompter).

and can't stay on the GC and watch everything that is going on in the BB house like Gretel did.

So find someone who can...

That is exactly why she was hired, this is a bad thing. If they wanted someone who could work off script they wouldn't have picked Sonia. It isn't all about constraints, she fits the mold that they want (a pretty face with an earpiece and a tele prompter).

So find someone who can...

Like you said you are not familiar with Australia presenters but you need to know that Channel Nine don't really have anyone that would be any better that Sonia. I certainly can't think of anyone. Also Sonia can work without a script. You should watch her when she was on DWTS or her on Mornings.

Gretel was a good host because she could go off script and seem very natural doing it . Unfortunately she is a minority when it comes to TV presenters in this country.

From what you have written it seems you want a host who almost takes away the spotlight form the actual HMs (cough kyle and Jackie O) . For me personally I would rather have the host introduce each segment and not take up to much time so we get more of the HMs because isn't the reason we watch the show so we can watch the HMs not enjoy the host and their ability to be a good host.

Like you said you are not familiar with Australia presenters but you need to know that Channel Nine don't really have anyone that would be any better that Sonia. I certainly can't think of anyone. Also Sonia can work without a script. You should watch her when she was on DWTS or her on Mornings.

Gretel was a good host because she could go off script and seem very natural doing it . Unfortunately she is a minority when it comes to TV presenters in this country.

From what you have written it seems you want a host who almost takes away the spotlight form the actual HMs (cough kyle and Jackie O) . For me personally I would rather have the host introduce each segment and not take up to much time so we get more of the HMs because isn't the reason we watch the show so we can watch the HMs not enjoy the host and their ability to be a good host.

It is basically the opposite of that. It is someone who is both a host and a hardcore fan. So they follow everything a fan would; facebook, twitter, forums etc and actually ask questions that people want answers to rather than asking questions that only exist to segway into silly montages. This is 'just another job' to Sonia, and it comes across that way.

It is basically the opposite of that. It is someone who is both a host and a hardcore fan. So they follow everything a fan would; facebook, twitter, forums etc and actually ask questions that people want answers to rather than asking questions that only exist to segway into silly montages. This is 'just another job' to Sonia, and it comes across that way.

Sonia is not the person who writes her script or chooses the questions she asks the HMs its the producers/Channel Nine. If she were aloud to do it her way I'm sure you would enjoy it. Don't blame her for something that is out of her control.

What you want will never happen as long as BB is on Nine.

Julia Zemiro would be great! If anyone has seen England & Ireland's next top model, you'd agree that Sonia is to Gretel what Elle McPherson is to Tyra: a far inferior host. Surely they can choose someone fresh and new and witty, Sonia has plenty of other work so she won't be poor! We shouldn't have to make excuses for her, cringe through her bad jokes and watch her frantically try to keep the awkward interviews going, we should take her for granted as the host of bb and mourn her when she's gone (like we did with Gretel).

I would disagree. Just a rewatch of launch night 2001 demonstrates that Gretel was entirely comfortable, natural and a seriously good host from day one.

Julia Zemiro would be great! If anyone has seen England & Ireland's next top model, you'd agree that Sonia is to Gretel what Elle McPherson is to Tyra: a far inferior host. Surely they can choose someone fresh and new and witty, Sonia has plenty of other work so she won't be poor! We shouldn't have to make excuses for her, cringe through her bad jokes and watch her frantically try to keep the awkward interviews going, we should take her for granted as the host of bb and mourn her when she's gone (like we did with Gretel).

I don't watch the model thingamys, but I agree about superior/inferior hosting and most everything else.
Julie Zemiro is intelligent, entertaining and would be amazing but would be wasted on 9 and in this format, just as Gretel would.

she alright. i dont really care for the hosts of any BB i watch since its about the HM more than anything. i always thought the way she smiles and the somewhat excitement after comments comes off like shes a bit fake with it and somewhat spacey lol

Give Sonya a break.

I agree. I actually liked Sonia since day 1. She was always natural as a host really. Don't see how people saw her nervous last year, cos I didn't. Gretel was way too comfortable and she seemed like a school teacher being all bossy. Hosts are not supposed to be overly confident and comfortable as they may come across as cocky and rude (like Gretel).

IF she has to be replaced, just IF, then I'd say Rozz Switzer would be an excellent alternative. She is that "What's New" ad woman for those who don't know.

Like Sonia, she is also from channel 9 - she is featured in Mornings with Kerr-Anne (or was). So she can be easy-to-get. I can see her being as good as, even better, than Sonia. She is very charismatic, confident, nice looking and of a younger age.

Oh, Mike Goldman has been on the show all these years. He'd also be a good replacement. He's worked for the show, did this, did that...he deserves that privilege.

Last edited:
People complain that Sonia talks to the Audience like we are children but if you notice at the Live Shows most of the audience is made up of children.

Back