Skip to main content

Will you miss the show if this is the final season of the current era?

I do think it's 7 day ratings will save it but Seven should give producers a taste of their own medicine and call them into the office to tell them the show is axed, only to drop a banner on their way out to tell them it's a fake axing.

Last edited:
They've utterly gutted the original purpose and design of BB. This is basically Survivor lite and it sucks. You don't get invested in the contestants. Also it is highly geared towards hot fit people and so you miss interesting people. It's not really that fun to watch and the nostalgia of the OGs is why I'm watching it. And the sad thing is that most of the OGs wouldn't even make it on the show these days.

BB is a shell of its former self

I don’t think it will be cancelled yet. FTA ratings only don’t give a true indication. Streams are in play now remember. It might be moved time slots though.

I either want it to be axed so that we no longer have to watch it be destroyed. Or, have channel 7 put extreme pressure on changes. It’s not gonna work 6 days a week on the network’s it’s one right now, so live streaming is the only way to fix that.

I won’t miss it if it goes though. I’d prefer literally any other network to take it.

I can't see Nine ever wanting it back though so really 10 is pretty much the only other option for the show. If the new revamped Bachelors flops (which I'm pretty confident it will) there could be a gap in their schedule. If Ten were to ever take it back I could see them fully leaning into the nostalgia and going back to some revamped version of the original format. What annoys me is that Seven have continuously made it a point they want to have Australian Idol's return as a big live tv event yet Big Brother (a show built for live tv) isn't being considered to do the same.

It would be so easy to revive interest into the show if they wanted to save it by reverting back to the original format. There is a massive want for this to be live again and the audience is there for it. Would it do incredible numbers ala MAFS? probably not but it would do so much better for their linear broadcast numbers than this format is.

I either want it to be axed so that we no longer have to watch it be destroyed. Or, have channel 7 put extreme pressure on changes. It’s not gonna work 6 days a week on the network’s it’s one right now, so live streaming is the only way to fix that.

I won’t miss it if it goes though. I’d prefer literally any other network to take it.
I don't think they could relaunch it in it's classic (and true) format immediately off the back of a Seven shit show of a series - it probably needs another break and another network switch to give that a chance of working, especially as Seven aren't going to promote the show in a way that says their last series were shit.

I don't think they could relaunch it in it's classic (and true) format immediately off the back of a Seven shit show of a series - it probably needs another break and another network switch to give that a chance of working, especially as Seven aren't going to promote the show in a way that says their last series were shit.
Forgive me, this is going to be a bit of an incoherent ramble but... I have thoughts about this I've been holding in for too long.

I genuinely think the days of Big Brother being a cultural phenomenon ended pretty much when the show last did, in the early 2010s with the rise of on demand content/Netflix. There's a million things competing for our attention now. Scrolling through TikTok is a series of constant dopamine hits. The old Big Brother was allowed to be a little bit boring at times, giving it a chance to show more mundane but humanising sides of the housemates. Now it feels like there's a constant (and probably valid) fear that people will just stop watching if the show isn't constantly exciting.

Forgive me, this is going to be a bit of an incoherent ramble but... I have thoughts about this I've been holding in for too long.

I genuinely think the days of Big Brother being a cultural phenomenon ended pretty much when the show last did, in the early 2010s with the rise of on demand content/Netflix. There's a million things competing for our attention now. Scrolling through TikTok is a series of constant dopamine hits. The old Big Brother was allowed to be a little bit boring at times, giving it a chance to show more mundane but humanising sides of the housemates. Now it feels like there's a constant (and probably valid) fear that people will just stop watching if the show isn't constantly exciting.
If someone was willing to give the show the “full treatment” I believe it could find an audience.

The show will never be what it was in the early 2000’s but I do believe there would still be interest in something that more closely resembles the original format.

I don’t think the competitive format is so much of a problem as the fact that the show is pre-recorded. Right now there’s no incentives or need to watch the show live so people just aren’t. If they feel like they need to give the show an “edge” a move to more of a full hybrid format wouldn’t be a bad move. Perhaps even a rebranding if they go down the hybrid route.

I don’t know if there needs to be another five year gap between series but definitely a gap between series would help.

I'd actually say the streamers prove that people will watch a slower and more "mundane" Big Brother. Just look at the popularity of crime documentaries which take a story that could be told in half an hour and make a 10 hour series out of it.

I'd actually say the streamers prove that people will watch a slower and more "mundane" Big Brother. Just look at the popularity of crime documentaries which take a story that could be told in half an hour and make a 10 hour series out of it.

The slower pacing makes it feel more natural. The reboot has too music playing, unnatural camera angles and so much light. So much light. Viewers want to feel like what they’re watching is natural and obviously the ratings are showing that they’re not satisfied. It really is crazy that technology has only increased in it’s use in 20 years, yet big brother has reached the lowest point it probably can.

Seven's format is such a drag. 90 minute episodes, dominated by challenges and strat chat. Would be so much palatable if they scaled it back. If it was live I'd even be fine with 30-min eps stripped 6-7 nights a week again. Just make it light and fun again. AND LIVE.

Someone mentioned the HMs look miserable. Which is also my expression a lot of the time while watching. Instead of the eternal brutal challenges, bring back funny tasks. BBUK used to do it well on Channel 4, with the being-in-boxes task, and making the HMs lather themselves with a bar of soap until it was completely gone, that kind of thing.

Shorter eps probably would help ratings I think. Movie length eps, three nights in a row, is a slog for all but the biggest fans. Maybe 30 minutes is too short, but one hour at most. Throw in some companion shows. I know it ultimately comes back to ROI for the network. They spend a lot to make the show, so want to maximise the advertising revenue from it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot by stretching it out as they do, and they don't seem to realise it.

This show used to be fun but Seven has sucked the life out of it with this format.

Seven's format is such a drag. 90 minute episodes, dominated by challenges and strat chat. Would be so much palatable if they scaled it back. If it was live I'd even be fine with 30-min eps stripped 6-7 nights a week again. Just make it light and fun again. AND LIVE.

Someone mentioned the HMs look miserable. Which is also my expression a lot of the time while watching. Instead of the eternal brutal challenges, bring back funny tasks. BBUK used to do it well on Channel 4, with the being-in-boxes task, and making the HMs lather themselves with a bar of soap until it was completely gone, that kind of thing.

Shorter eps probably would help ratings I think. Movie length eps, three nights in a row, is a slog for all but the biggest fans. Maybe 30 minutes is too short, but one hour at most. Throw in some companion shows. I know it ultimately comes back to ROI for the network. They spend a lot to make the show, so want to maximise the advertising revenue from it. But they are shooting themselves in the foot by stretching it out as they do, and they don't seem to realise it.

This show used to be fun but Seven has sucked the life out of it with this format.
I’m still a bit shocked at how much they’ve tried to make BB in to Survivor 2.0. BBUS at its core is essentially Survivor in a house but you can tell how they’ve tried to avoid unnecessary overlaps and direct comparisons. Even BBCAN avoided falling in to the trap of simply being a rehash of BBUS despite following the same format. I don’t understand why they chose Survivor rather than using BBUS/CAN as a blueprint for this era of BBAU.

I don’t understand why they chose Survivor rather than using BBUS/CAN as a blueprint for this era of BBAU.
Survivor has always been a super popular format in Australia (as has TAR) - but I don't think its for the same reasons these producers think.
IMO Aussies tune in for the adventure and competition aspect rather than the backstabbing and social politics.

Survivor has always been a super popular format in Australia (as has TAR) - but I don't think its for the same reasons these producers think.
IMO Aussies tune in for the adventure and competition aspect rather than the backstabbing and social politics.
I think you missed the point I was making… Survivor was always more popular than BB in North America, which is why the format changed. That said the BBUS producers didn’t just shoehorn in the Survivor format in to BB the way the Australian producers have.

As for whether audiences watch for social strategy or completion I think that’s debatable. IMO you can’t watch Survivor and not get sucked in to the backstabbing and strategy.

I think you missed the point I was making… Survivor was always more popular than BB in North America, which is why the format changed. That said the BBUS producers didn’t just shoehorn in the Survivor format in to BB the way the Australian producers have.

As for whether audiences watch for social strategy or completion I think that’s debatable. IMO you can’t watch Survivor and not get sucked in to the backstabbing and strategy.

IMO @beardymac has a point. Survivor is very popular and peaked in ratings at the time of the reboot being announced. I don’t fully understand why they didn’t just copy the BBUS structure either, but it seems that they just chose to piggy back off of Survivor’s popularity. Having Amelia Fisk as EP who was also EP for survivor didn’t help.

As for whether or not viewers tune in for strategy or not, I’d say generally Aussie’s don’t. We’re more into watching characters and funny moments. Just general conversations or even FB comments have everyone saying “I miss when this wasn’t a strategy show”. Even with survivor general viewers seem more interested in the challenges and characters than they do the actual strategy element of the show.

Copying the BBUS format would have been the best way to go for the strategic format. But also at the same time this show has such a recognised reputation for how it was it’s too late to make that drastic of a change. I may be biased but I just don’t think there’s a way for viewers to completely warm to a strategic version of the show. The live element may possibly prove me wrong, but I think viewers are turning off not only because it’s not live, but also because of lack of character scenes and lack of audience say.

Back