Skip to main content

Will you miss the show if this is the final season of the current era?

As they've another series in the can I suspect they'll move on - even five series is alot for a non-scripted Netflix series.

As they've another series in the can I suspect they'll move on - even five series is alot for a non-scripted Netflix series.
Yeah there's still one to go.

But I really wished they would have done another couple of international ones like Italy, Japan or India. Covid probably made it too difficult though. I still shout ALERTA! every time they have an alert.

I am inclined to say yes, but I didn't watch VIP and I have only watched part of the first episode so far.

Mainly I would miss the potential. With streaming services, we could have the best era ever of the old 10 format. Hell, even of the 9 format.

Yes, I'd really miss it. I don't even mind what some are caling Survivor in a house type challenges, though I do think the challenges shouldn't all be physical I'd love to see old school BB again, recorded live, live evictions, shopping tasks, pretty much the way Ch 10 era BB did it but without Friday Night Games.

Yeah there's still one to go.

But I really wished they would have done another couple of international ones like Italy, Japan or India. Covid probably made it too difficult though. I still shout ALERTA! every time they have an alert.
Or even a multi national one with contestants from different countries as this format suits that more than most, though pretending to be people from different countries would probably attract criticism of cultural appropriation.

I will always miss BB AU if it goes away. The BB AU season 5 was what got me hooked on the BB show. We used to have chats on IRC while the shows were broadcasting... .good times :)
What is clear is that fanbase is still there but the pre-recorded nature pretty much limits chats to the nights of the episodes themselves. The last couple of seasons we've seen this place goes dead from Thu-Sun.

That is where live feeds are so important - they keep the fantasy discussing and therefore promoting the show 24/7 and it only ever adds interest to the broadcast shows. When you have seen something on the live feeds or know of an event that has happened you want to see how it is handled in the episode. The mutterings of fans is far more effective than an overly edited promo six months in the making over promoting a moment in the show.

The mutterings of fans is far more effective than an overly edited promo six months in the making over promoting a moment in the show.
That's why it was so insane for Nine to dump the live feeds when they picked up the show. Twitter is a perfect match for that kind of thing. And criminally, Nine couldn't even be bothered proving any updates at all after a while. Authenticity be damned. And now look where we are, in no small part due to Nine canning the feeds. It was the beginning of the end of the format.

Yes, I will miss it. As much as this current format is pre-recorded, highly edited and storyline-scripted, I still do enjoy watching it. Any BB is better than no BB.

That said, I still think the original format was by far the best. Everything the people have said in this forum thread is spot on ... without the ability to get to know the HMs by seeing their conversations, without live feeds, without shows like "Up Late", etc, there is absolutely no viewer "engagement" with the show. That was what made it popular. Viewers could form opinions about HMs and debates would take place in schools and work-places about which HM was good/bad/best/worst. It would make the papers, magazines and the even the nighly news. Not to mention the "drama" and "edge-of-your-seat" stuff at the end of week eviction show when the viewers and the HMs had no idea who was going to be evicted. None of that happens with this pre-recorded stuff. With the pre-recorded stuff, we even know who is going to get evicted before they even air the show (eg, Drew and the Tully advertising promos made it obvious that Drew wasn't going to be evicted).

I think the problem with bringing back the old format is the networks "fear of liability". Fear of having another "Turkey Slap" type of incident is what scares them away. Considering the "F" word now graces our TV screens like it is just another everyday normal word, I cannot understand their fear. I see no reason why they can't just put warnings up before the show ... "This show may contain blah blah blah. Viewer discretion is advised" ... and then have a delay like they do on radio which provides the producers/BB with the ability to stop and/or handle a "not-screen-worthy" situation which may be developing or occuring in the house. Heck, it could even be a 30 minute delay. Sure, it wouldn't be live with such a delay, but, a delay (even a 30 minute one) is better than it being pre-recorded and edited. Throw it on in a slightly later time slot (so kids are in bed), and away we go. If they bring back the viewer engagement, and enhance that even more from what it used to be by using Twitter and other modern-day technologies, then the ratings should, surely, pick up. And, as someone else has mentioned, if they go down this kind of path again, then they could once again use BB as a means to make some money (as much as I personally hate having to pay subscriptions – but from a network executive point of view, it's a winner).

Yes, I will certainly miss BB if it gets cancelled. And, despite it's flaws, yes, even this pre-recorded version.

Last edited:
I will miss the show regardless. I like BBAU and want it to continue.

However I have to state the obvious, which is that production are leaving ratings and money on the table.

Look at what ppl are watching on Twitch. The hot tub streams and so on. Big Brother was laying the groundwork for that sh*t

There's a reason the original format was such a phenomenon. it was ahead of its time.

Can you imagine if BBAU livestreamed in 2022? they are sitting on a content factory 🤐
imagine the hype and the headlines they could generate with virtually no effort

Channel 7, it's time to bring back live format 😉

I love the live format but it relies on having an engaged audience. I have trouble committing to two nights a week, I don't know how they would convince a majority to embrace the former 6-night a week schedule. Even the staple nightly soaps (H&A, Neighbours) are falling off a cliff. BB as a live concept just doesn't feel sustainable anymore, in Australia at least.

I want Seven to do BB justice while they've got it, but I don't even know what fixes to suggest. I do believe they'll churn out another series after this one though.

I love the live format but it relies on having an engaged audience. I have trouble committing to two nights a week, I don't know how they would convince a majority to embrace the former 6-night a week schedule. Even the staple nightly soaps (H&A, Neighbours) are falling off a cliff. BB as a live concept just doesn't feel sustainable anymore, in Australia at least.

I want Seven to do BB justice while they've got it, but I don't even know what fixes to suggest. I do believe they'll churn out another series after this one though.
It’s too late in the series to make any substantial changes… The way ratings have been going cancellation is our only escape.

@Kingston I just noticed the tag line under your posts, "I'm not saying you're stupid... I'm just saying you've got bad luck when it comes to thinking." Now that's funny! 👍

I will always miss BB AU if it goes away. The BB AU season 5 was what got me hooked on the BB show. We used to have chats on IRC while the shows were broadcasting... .good times :)
<3 Dean … BB4-BB8 the best years

Back