Skip to main content

Will you miss the show if this is the final season of the current era?

What annoys me is that Seven have continuously made it a point they want to have Australian Idol's return as a big live tv event yet Big Brother (a show built for live tv) isn't being considered to do the same.
We've also seen what Seven's "live events" are like - look at the finale of "The Voice", which was pre-recorded with every possible ending filmed...
I cringe to think what they'd do to Idol...

The engagement on the official BB's social media accounts is pretty tragic. My Team Estelle or Team Priya Twitter accounts back in the day used to get more retweets/likes lol
Nine's in particular was abysmal though.

IMO @beardymac has a point. Survivor is very popular and peaked in ratings at the time of the reboot being announced. I don’t fully understand why they didn’t just copy the BBUS structure either, but it seems that they just chose to piggy back off of Survivor’s popularity. Having Amelia Fisk as EP who was also EP for survivor didn’t help.

As for whether or not viewers tune in for strategy or not, I’d say generally Aussie’s don’t. We’re more into watching characters and funny moments. Just general conversations or even FB comments have everyone saying “I miss when this wasn’t a strategy show”. Even with survivor general viewers seem more interested in the challenges and characters than they do the actual strategy element of the show.

Copying the BBUS format would have been the best way to go for the strategic format. But also at the same time this show has such a recognised reputation for how it was it’s too late to make that drastic of a change. I may be biased but I just don’t think there’s a way for viewers to completely warm to a strategic version of the show. The live element may possibly prove me wrong, but I think viewers are turning off not only because it’s not live, but also because of lack of character scenes and lack of audience say.
Part of the issue IMO is that production dumbs down the strategy in both Australian Survivor and Aus Big Brother to the lowest common denominator. Aus All Stars was particularly bad with this where you had to follow reddit and the players instas to even understand that there was so much more going on than what Ten were showing. If you dumb the strategy down that much, of course it's not going to be interesting and people will prefer the challenges.

I don't love the direction that US Survivor is going in, but I appreciate that we get to see more complex strategy play out. Good editing will be able to show both good strategic thinking and character development/moments. Sometimes we've gotten neither on Big Brother especially.

I know the traditional Aussie media have a difficult relationship with the social media giants but I'm shocked at how poor the social media strategy for most Aussie shows is. Most UK reality shows you can follow without ever watching an episode thanks to clips on their socials and YouTube channels, but the Aussie shows deliver virtually no watchable content online. Twitter is just GIFs.

Part of the issue IMO is that production dumbs down the strategy in both Australian Survivor and Aus Big Brother to the lowest common denominator. Aus All Stars was particularly bad with this where you had to follow reddit and the players instas to even understand that there was so much more going on than what Ten were showing. If you dumb the strategy down that much, of course it's not going to be interesting and people will prefer the challenges.

I don't love the direction that US Survivor is going in, but I appreciate that we get to see more complex strategy play out. Good editing will be able to show both good strategic thinking and character development/moments. Sometimes we've gotten neither on Big Brother especially.
Aussie All Stars was awful! One person wins because nobody else bothered to play the game 😠

Do we blame it on the editing?

6igj35.jpg

Back