Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some nice Doctor Who guest star actors in Ordeal By Innocence apparently, as with most BBC dramas.

Did they?
Who was the original killer?
Not familiar with AC stories much at all, not my kind of thing

I didn’t read the articles or see the show I’m afraid. I read one now and again and recently saw AC regarded Ordeal by Innocence and Crooked House as her best, so I thought I’d put off watching them until I’ve read them.

what is frredom? what is soul? where do the hearts bring out in their hours of need? why dont we dance, wht cant we dance on the hour of neeed? let the trees flow, let the winter grow, and let happinesss be our guide.

my type of humour is seeing a picture of a dog wearing slippers. or a story about some rabbits taking over a hairdressers.

of course, something better than those examples, but they illustrate my point well. i like humour which doesnt make sense in terms of logic. maybe thts because of the logic side of me which combines with the emotional side of me.

This should appeal to you@reepbot........

Rhinoceros
Written by Eugène Ionesco

Date premiered 1959
Place premiered Düsseldorf[1]
Rhinoceros (French: Rhinocéros) is a play by Eugène Ionesco, written in 1959. The play was included in Martin Esslin's study of post-war avant-garde drama, The Theatre of the Absurd, although scholars have also rejected this label as too interpretatively narrow.[original research?] Over the course of three acts, the inhabitants of a small, provincial French town turn into rhinoceroses; ultimately the only human who does not succumb to this mass metamorphosis is the central character, Bérenger, a flustered everyman figure who is initially criticized in the play for his drinking, tardiness, and slovenly lifestyle and then, later, for his increasing paranoia and obsession with the rhinoceroses. The play is often read as a response and criticism to the sudden upsurge of Fascism and Nazism during the events preceding World War II, and explores the themes of conformity, culture, fascism, responsibility, logic, mass movements, mob mentality, philosophy and morality.

Made into the film I saw, some of on TV
Rhinoceros is a 1974 American comedy film based on the play Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco. The film was produced by Ely Landau for the American Film Theatre, which presented thirteen film adaptations of plays in the United States from 1973 to 1975.[1]

It is a very peculiar movie, I guess Animal Farm would be another you appreciate???

And have you read any Kafka? Checkout Metamorphis ......human becomes a big bug

oh thank you for that. sounds like a fascinating premise.

and yes i did enjoy reading animal farm. i remember reading it back in high school for english class and liking it.

i have not read any kafka yet.

Reactions: kxk
Poster for that very weird movie....

220px-Poster_of_Rhinoceros_%28film%29.jpg

Kafka is amazing.......................the roach he wakes up as, slowly making him less human, and how the family react, getting meaner and meaner

I think it is a short story actually, a comment on modern society, we are just bugs running around

Poster for that very weird movie....

220px-Poster_of_Rhinoceros_%28film%29.jpg

Kafka is amazing.......................the roach he wakes up as, slowly making him less human, and how the family react, getting meaner and meaner

I think it is a short story actually, a comment on modern society, we are just bugs running around

I might have to see if I can download that movie. Don’t recall ever seeing it.

Yes, Metamorphosis is a short story. In the latest Haruki Murakami book of short stories he has a sequel which starts with the large bug waking up to find himself mysteriously transformed into Gregor Samsa.

And have you read any Kafka? Checkout Metamorphis ......human becomes a big bug
Kafka is great reading. The Castle particularly good.
Dostoevsky required reading too imo. "Crime and Punishment" and "The Idiot" should be on every school curriculum.
Camus and Sartre too. Seems we have similar reading habits @kxk :)
But Ive also been reading Batman for most of my life. Way before he exploded onto the screen. So I like my diversity.
And writers like Hunter Thompson. Bukowski also a personal favourite.
But Arthur Rimbaud the french poet who turned established poetry upside down and quit writing by the age of 17 and went on to become one of the first white men to establish trading in West Africa probably my fave. I deliberately learnt french to help me get a more accurate understanding of his work. Something always gets lost in translation. Particularly in poetry.
But his poetry is that good imo it reads well in english and remains a powerwful influence on me and literature to this very day.
Ooops. Sorry to rattle on. Reading is one of my great passions.:)

Reactions: kxk
Kafka is great reading. The Castle particularly good.
Dostoevsky required reading too imo. "Crime and Punishment" and "The Idiot" should be on every school curriculum.
Camus and Sartre too. Seems we have similar reading habits @kxk :)
But Ive also been reading Batman for most of my life. Way before he exploded onto the screen. So I like my diversity.
And writers like Hunter Thompson. Bukowski also a personal favourite.
But Arthur Rimbaud the french poet who turned established poetry upside down and quit writing by the age of 17 and went on to become one of the first white men to establish trading in West Africa probably my fave. I deliberately learnt french to help me get a more accurate understanding of his work. Something always gets lost in translation. Particularly in poetry.
But his poetry is that good imo it reads well in english and remains a powerwful influence on me and literature to this very day.
Ooops. Sorry to rattle on. Reading is one of my great passions.:)

What a GREAT post........I have not read Rimbaud......and will hunt him out now, the net has made that so much easier.
And yes, we do have similar taste....
Sartre..........oh my, I wrote my philosophy paper on him, such a wonderful brain
I read him after I had red most of Simone De Beauvoir, she was my hero for ages, reading her helped me sort out my complex relationship with Mum.
And I am an avid Shakespeare admirer, and also love English lit.....Emily Bronte, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy being my favourites....and all the English poetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back