Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
10- The Good Life
th

Poor Margo and Jerry....​
The Good Life has one of the most interesting concepts I have seen for a tv show. Even more interesting than Goodnight Sweetheart. Watching how Tom and Barbara manage their new hippie lifestyle is fascinating to see. How they have to do things that little bit differently and the complications that come with it. But personally I feel more sorry for poor Margo and Jerry who have to put with them as their neighbours. Buttt, aghhh, they cope because they are British. Stiff upper lip and all that. But not too stiff. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to talk. And then you you would have to learn sign language. Which might actually be a pretty cool skill to learn. So hooray for a stiff upper lip.

I also enjoyed the performances from the two women on the show. Penelope Keith as Margo and Felicity Kendall as Barbara. Both wonderful performances. Especially by Felicity who seemed to be on another level in more ways than one. But of course Penelope was awesome too and won a BAFTA for her efforts.

Favourite Episode: The second one because it properly introduces Margo.

9- Death In Paradise
th

Wonderful.....if you enjoy murder.​
Another top mystery show that I have chosen for my list. This is a beautifully shot and outstandingly acted piece of art set in what is quite literally, as suggested by the title of the show, shot in paradise. Well maybe some people's paradise. But not mine, and probably not DI Richard Poole's paradise either. Still this would probably be lots of peoples idea of paradise so i think the idea still stands....just.

This show is kind of a mystery sub-genre because it deals with locked room mysteries. Each week the team is presented with a seemingly impossible crime and they have to work out how it was done. Yes, some of the murders seem unnecessary in their complexity, but the puzzling and complicated nature of the crimes as a brain teaser in my view is hard to match.

Favourite Episode: The one with the flight attendants.

8- Ellery Queen
th

Looking for more clues.....​
It's a shame Jim Hutton died so soon after this show, because he could have become a great star in movies and television. Alas, his premature death robbed the art world way too early. But what's done is done. Anyway, I thought Jim's performance in this was pretty darn good. But that's not what I want to talk about on this entry.

I've already rhapsodised enough about my love of the mystery genre, so I thought I'd discuss something else: how this show led me to that 40's-50's radio show Suspense!. In Ellery Queen one of Ellery's rival is a radio star named Simon. This Simon performs on radio and even has his own show. He fancies himself a detective which amuses Ellery no end. Anyway, I thought the whole radio setup was rather fascinating, so i started researching 40's radio dramas shows online. And I found a few on youtube called Suspense!, which got me fascinated with how voices can carry a story. How they can convey so much emotion. That got me into the world of Suspense! and i've enjoyed listening to their tales ever since.

So I guess I have Ellery to thank for that.

Favourite Episode: "The Adventure of the Mad Tea Party" Alice in Wonderland meets a mystery!

7- As Time Goes By.
th

Domestic blisss??​
A good comedy show to me is more than just getting some laughs. Sure, for a quick five minute speech, something with a lot of jokes is fine. But a full tv series deserves something more than that. It deserves an actual storyline, with real characters and strong relationships. "As Time Goes By" delivers this quite strongly, which is why I consider it my favourite ever sitcom (not favourite comedy. important distinction). Not only do you have the storyline of Lionel and Jean rekindling their young romance after not seeing each other for about forty years, you also have the development of the younger people in their professional and romantic lives. Alistair, Judy, and Sandy all navigating their way through the tricky river of life.

I also enjoy the show because at heart I am a romantic, although from what I've read maybe that is not such a good thing. I should probably suppress my romantic side and be more logical. Maybe that would be better. Anyway, it is irrelevant as i am cursed. Just hope that I can lift this curse. Push it away.

Also, the romance of Alistair and Judy is not something I aspire to anymore. I'll have to think about which fictional couple does inspire me.

Favourite Episode: Jean and Lionel get married.

6- Agatha Christie's Poirot.
f12a0c845924ea5b65b97d879dd15ea4.jpg

Dressed for excellence....​
Based on the novels of my favourite author Agatha Christie, this brilliant television show has enchanted me from the minute I saw it. Just the whole atmosphere of 30's England lends it such a classy feel. The suits, the dresses, the posh accents. I wish I had a posh accent, I don't think I have an accent at all. Not one that I can hear.

Mysteries appeal to the curious side of me, the side always asking: "Why?" (a question not too many people like to hear). And shows like these indulge my curious nature.

David Suchet encompasses the very being of Poirot that any future or past incarnations of this classic character will be compared to his portrayal. He simply is Poirot.

The reason it ranks not as high is because the later episodes were shot in what i believe to be in a too hipsterish fashion, plus they changed the story lines too much. I much prefer the earlier episodes with the more simple way it was shot. Plus 90's british tv outside filming was much more pleasant to the eye in my opinion.

Favourite Episode: The ABC murders: Poirot's greatest ever challenge imo.

5- Monk
th

Monk cleaning up crime...
Monk to be is the ultimate in comfort television. Just a bunch of easygoing characters trying to solve a murder. The chemistry between all the leading actors is top-notch, and the mysteries are fun to try and solve. Of course there is tragedy, what with Monk trying to solve the murder of his wife, but it' never something that overwhelms the show, instead it serves to enhance it by giving the main character Monk an extra layer of tragedy (along with his ocd).

Tony Shalou is excellent as Monk and fully deserved all his Emmys. The Monk tv show also had a series of novels, which i've read, and it is easy to see how thin the line was in making Monk such a horrible character. Without Tony's portrayal of wounded sympathy the character of Monk wouldn't have lasted too long. And Ted Levine as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer deserves credit for the way he portrayed his character: authoritative yet concerned for his friend.

But yeah the part I like best is how easy the show is to watch. Yeah i've seen all of the episodes and know who the killer is, but that doesn't matter at all. Because the interactions make Monk Monk.

Favourite Episode: The season 4 episode where Natalie's brother marries. If you don't know who Natalie is contact wikipedia.

4- Whodunnit

th

Ready to play!​
I think I might be quite fond of mystery game shows, because this is the third entry in that particular genre after Sleuth 101 and Cludeo. There is something about that particular format that appeals to me, the whole play along at home aspect which makes it so fun. Of course, the fact that these episodes have been around for forty years means that that the so called game has already been played and won.

The interaction between the host, which was mainly Jon Pertwee, and the panelists who tried to work out the killer was always loads of fun. I enjoyed the fact that it was light-hearted fun whilst also presenting some rather tricky mysteries. One had to be very smart to work the killer out, very smart indeed.

Favourite Episode: The one where the Doctor and Jo reunite.

3- The Muppet Show
Muppet-Show-19761981.jpg

Singing their hearts out.....
I remember bits and pieces of the muppets growing up, but I had never really watched them. As in taken them in fully with all my heart and soul. I recall bits and pieces of their movies, including I think going to Muppets Treasure Island when it first came out, however if you had told me three years ago to name a character beyond Kermit I would have struggled. For some reason it simply did not interest me.

That was until a year or so ago when I had a sudden urge, a real craving inside my soul to see The Muppet Show. I don't why, but like when the first time I felt a yearning to listen to Tina Arena, I followed my instincts and got out the muppet show from the library. Going off tangent for a bit but my library, or libraries, have a really good range of dvd's, no, scratch that, they have an excellent range, including some rather classic movies that would probably be hard to find anywhere else.

Anyway, I put the dvd in and, well not from the exact first episode, but from when Ruth Buzzi danced and sang with Sweetums in a castle like setting to the tune of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" I was enchanted. The talking animals combined with the musicality of the numbers, and including the absurd humour of the show all mixed together created what really is the perfect show for me. Because to me talking animals are really the bestest. I just think they are so amusing. Of course I mean cartoon talking animals, the ones that act like humans. I love that.

I also have a growing love of music, helped by Tina Arena, and learning about these olden day songs has really made me happy. And of course my love of absurd humour is well known.

The only reason I haven't rated this show higher is because I haven't seen the last two seasons (release them on dvd Disney!) of the show and so I don't want to get too ahead of my self.

Favourite Episode: Well the muppet show, because it was basically a sketch show was a series of moments for me: the fabulous songs, the dance numbers, and the comedy bits were all outstanding. Really terrific. But for me my favourite moment came in season 2 when special guest Bernadette Peters tried to cheer up Kermit's despondent nephew Robin. Truly a heartwarming moment.

2- The Adventures of Paddington Bear
th

Marmalade sandwich.....?​
I know there was a 1970's Paddington bear show, and that it is the better known one. And I have seen a couple of those little shorts. But I happen to like this show just that little bit better. The animation is just that little bit better in this 90's animated version, plus I enjoyed the voices a bit more. Plus the increased run time allows more room for the story to breathe.

Anyway, this series is based on the Paddington books that Michael Bond wrote to the delight of millions around the world, and me of course. Strange thing is though, is that I don't actually remember reading the Paddington books when I was growing up. For some reason I never got around to reading them. But luckily earlier this year, in my research into reading children's books for my writing, to see the tone of those pieces and stuff like that, I came across the Paddington books.

Book, after book I consumed with all my heart and soul. Devouring the tales of this polite bear from deepest darkest Peru. I wouldn't say it became my favourite book series, but I did realise that this type of book had a tone in it, a kind of gentle winking tone, that I hope to emulate in my writing someday. And it was all thanks to Paddington. That bear seemed to get in all sort of mischief, but somehow always landed on his feet. Which is good because I guess landing anywhere else might not be quite so pleasant.

The thing I liked most about the stories, and something that translated well into "The Adventures of Paddington Bear" was the sense of dry humour through each and every page. Plus, of course, the talking bear lol.

I guess the main reason I put it at number two is purely out of enjoyment. I just really enjoyed watching it. It's that simple.

Favourite Episode: They are all good, but quite personally I enjoyed the one where Paddington goes to the theatre.

1- Press Gang
th

Breaking news.....​
It really wasn't going to be any other show. Ok, I won't make this too long as I've already written hundreds, if not thousands of words on my love of this show. So really I don't need to justify it in a multi-paragraph essay.

What I will say that I have re-watched this show about ten times now, maybe even more, and each and every viewing enriches me entire heart and soul. How these characters interact with each other, the things they go through in terms of their work, and the humour that they have really makes an impression on me.

And of course, the ever so inspirational Lynda Day. A tough person on the outside, who really has a nervous inside, she ruled that show. Completely dominated it with her presence. But that didn't matter, because she, as the leading character, was meant to dominate the episodes. And that she did, with her wit, her determination, and need to always get the last word.

Favourite Episode: The one where they all lock themselves in the building so that they can re-do a newspaper.

th

Marmalade sandwich.....?​
I know there was a 1970's Paddington bear show, and that it is the better known one. And I have seen a couple of those little shorts. But I happen to like this show just that little bit better. The animation is just that little bit better in this 90's animated version, plus I enjoyed the voices a bit more. Plus the increased run time allows more room for the story to breathe.

Anyway, this series is based on the Paddington books that Michael Bond wrote to the delight of millions around the world, and me of course. Strange thing is though, is that I don't actually remember reading the Paddington books when I was growing up. For some reason I never got around to reading them. But luckily earlier this year, in my research into reading children's books for my writing, to see the tone of those pieces and stuff like that, I came across the Paddington books.

Book, after book I consumed with all my heart and soul. Devouring the tales of this polite bear from deepest darkest Peru. I wouldn't say it became my favourite book series, but I did realise that this type of book had a tone in it, a kind of gentle winking tone, that I hope to emulate in my writing someday. And it was all thanks to Paddington. That bear seemed to get in all sort of mischief, but somehow always landed on his feet. Which is good because I guess landing anywhere else might not be quite so pleasant.

The thing I liked most about the stories, and something that translated well into "The Adventures of Paddington Bear" was the sense of dry humour through each and every page. Plus, of course, the talking bear lol.

I guess the main reason I put it at number two is purely out of enjoyment. I just really enjoyed watching it. It's that simple.

Favourite Episode: They are all good, but quite personally I enjoyed the one where Paddington goes to the theatre.

I did not see that one coming!

Thanks for posting your list reepbot. Very interesting.

50- Big Brother Australia

49- Doctor Who (New)

48- Kennedy

47- Think Tank

46- Lost.

45- Diagnosis Murder.

44- Spiderman (1960s)

43- Hustle.

42- Frasier

41- Oppenheimer.

40- Modern Family

39- Sleuth 101

38- Sea change

37- Temptation

36- Columbo

35- The Agatha Christie Hour

34- The Micallef Program

33- One Foot in The Grave

32- Perry Mason

31- The Dick Van Dyke Show

30- Yes Minister

29- Brooklyn 9-9

28- Doctor Who (Classic)

27- Countdown (British game show)

26- To The Manor Born

25- Tintin

24- Murder She Wrote

23- Get Smart

22- Cluedo

21- Moonlighting

20- 37 Days

19- Some Mothers Do ‘Ave Them.

18- The Twilight Zone

17- Fawlty Towers

16- Miss Marple (Joan Hickson version).

15- Letters and Numbers

14- Only Fools and Horses

13- Monty Python’s Flying Circus

12- Goodnight Sweetheart

11- The Crown

10- The Good Life

9- Death in Paradise

8- Ellery Queen Mystery

7- As Time Goes By

6- Agatha Christe’s Poirot

5- Monk

4- Whodunnit

3- The Muppets

1- Press Gang

2018 list.

1- Press Gang

2- Poirot

3- Doctor Who

4- As Time Goes By

5- Murder She Wrote

6- Monk

7- Monty Python’s Flying Circus

8- The West Wing

9- One Foot in The Grave

10- Columbo

11- The Bill

12- Tintin

13- Dad’s Army

14- A Touch of Frost

15- Goodnight Sweetheart

16- Lost

17- Blackadder

18- Scrubs

19- The Office (US)

20- Top Gear

21- 24

22- Letters and Numbers

23- Miss Marple Hickson

24- Magnum PI

25- NCIS

26- Only Fools and Horses

27- Law and Order

28- The Amazing Race

29- Inspector Morse

30- The Twilight Zone

31- Cheers

32- The Animals of Farthing Wood

33- Homicide: Life on The Street

34- MASH

35- Kavanagh QC

36- The Shaun Micallafe Programme

37- The Wire

38- Frasier

39- The Gruen Transfer

40- Perry Mason

41- The Shield

42- Would I lie to you?

43- The Chaser’s War On Everything

44- The Simpsons

45- The Late Show

46- Diagnosis Murder

47- Midsomer Murders

48- Big Brother

49- Fawlty Towers

50- At The Movies

2015 list.

https://www.behindbigbrother.com/forums/threads/what-would-reepbot-say.54060/page-403#post-2249692[DOUBLEPOST=1532099207][/DOUBLEPOST]27 new shows in my most recent list.

and to make the non-tina countdown interesting, only one artist on the list. so that the list isn't clogged up by just the one singer.

The remove signature thing is no good reeps, it takes way everyone's including my own

Your RED SHOUTING is hurting my eyes......too much to read your funny lists

Have you seen this game @reepbot ????
https://store.steampowered.com/app/786410/An_Aspie_Life/

An Aspie Life
One day your roommate Leaves for no reason. You’re left to face the outside world alone. But this can be both difficult and amazing when you have autism. This game recreates how some people with autism perceive the world. All forms of sound, graphics and interactions are intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back