Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
20- 37 Days

th

What stuffy clothes!​
This mini-series deals with the period of time between the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand on 28th June 1914 to the United Kingdom declaring war on Germany on 4 August 1914. Watching the behind the scene political moves of all the big name European governments and Royalty of that time was quite fascinating for me to watch. Because at first the British and the Germans don't seem that worried about it, but as this Austrian-Serbian tiff starts to grow into something which will have catastrophic consequences for the world you can see the panic starting to form in their faces. And there was also so many opportunities for them to right this wrong, to stop this oncoming tragic madness. But we all know that wasn't the case.

19- Some Mothers Do Ave Em
th

What mischief will they get up to next?​
A rather hilarious British sitcom starring Michael Crawford. I enjoyed watching the slapstick nature of this show, especially when Frank got himself in some awkward situations. Plus I liked the 70's of it, the purest of the pure British 70's tv shown upon this show. Like a time capsule.

Another part that I liked about the show was Frank's rebellious nature. Not in a mean way of course, because he didn't have a mean bone in his body. But Frank really didn't care what society thought of him, his drive in his life was the love of his wife and daughter. He wasn't someone who thought he had to act a certain way because that was the right thing to do. He was just himself and that to me was great. Nothing worse than when someone changes who they are because they are afraid of what people will think of them. That to me is the worst. I mean to have someone who is all fun and charming and we all enjoy her company. But then she changes her personality and it gets very depressing to see. And you are not sure if it is because she has started a career or not. But then you think that no that isn't the case because other people here work and they still have fun personalities. So that can't be it. And then as the years roll by and their fun personality hasn't returned yet, and that her personality seems to be getting more serious with each subsequent by royal appointment forum appearance you start to wonder if that was their true personality and that they were only pretending to be charming and funny. And as you gaze up into the night sky you start to wonder if you can ever trust another person ever again.

18- The Twilight Zone
th

Where is that door leading to?
A 50's/60's anthology series which dealt with human themes through a scientific lens. Sure at times it could get a little preachy, but it made up with it through some terrific scripts, fantastic acting, and shocking twists. I mean some of the twists on this show have become so iconic that they have been parodied on numerous other shows. But this show was more than just some twists, it was an opportunity for us to go into the world of the twilight zone. A place that held a mirror to our souls.

Favourite Episode: "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street". Twenty minutes or so of pure paranoid hysteria in a sleepy American suburb.

17- Fawlty Towers
th

The hotel also offered a game of charades for the guests.....
I think last time I did this ranking I had Fawlty Towers somewhere like 49th on my list. I forget why I did that. Maybe it was because I was silly, or maybe it was a long time since I had seen that show and I was going off memory. Well whatever the reason i decided to re-watch the show like a year or so ago and I found myself really enjoying it. It is quite easy to see why this show is on the top list of tv comedies ( not mine though, which I will explain later). Every episode is tightly scripted, all the performances are top notch, and it is really twelve episodes of perfect farce.

Yes that is right, they only made twelve episodes of this show. Which was incredible but probably the right thing to do. Too many episodes and you overstay your welcome. And no one wants that, not even famous people.

16- Miss Marple (Joan Hickson version)
th

Solving crime one village fete at a time.​
There is nothing like a nice cosy English murder, and a Miss Marple story was quite awesome at telling these tales. Miss Marple was of course an invention by Agatha Christie who put her in I think about twelve books. May be more, may be less. I don't know, I'm not going to click on wikipedia. You can do that yourself.

But yeah, this BBC version of Miss Marple is quite entertaining. Some may find it a bit slow going, especially those who live in the fast lane of life. Zooming around corners like teapot daredevils. But for those a little slow like me, this Miss Marple is quite the show. Some nice understated acting combined with a pace that lets the story breathe lead to an outstanding show.

Favourite Episode: Murder in the Vicarage. Lovely story. Except for the murder.

15- Letters and Numbers
th

A trio of excellence.​
The greatest game show ever in the history of television, Letters and Numbers (based on the Countdown ITV game) was a fun and intellectually challenging half an hour of must see television. You had David Astle the wordsmith advising contestants on the letters round, Lily Serna showing us all how it was done in number land, and of course the affably charming host Richard Morecroft directing proceedings with a smile on his face.

What I liked about this show is that it never took itself too seriously. The prizes were irrelevant. What mattered was having fun and learning some new verbal or numerical skills along the way. I've been enjoying watching the replays of the episodes from SBS, though a part of me wishes that they would bring it back for real.

after fifty favourite tv shows i should do:

twenty favourite songs- tina arena version.

twenty favourite songs- non-tina arena version.

1. What’s your favorite movie?
2. Favorite movie in the past five years?
3. Favorite Hitchcock film?
4. A book you plan on reading?
5. A book that you read in school that positively shaped you?
6. Favorite TV show that’s currently on?
7. On a scale of one to ten how excited are you about life right now?
8. iPhone or Android?
9. Twitter or Instagram?
10. Who should EVERYONE be following right now?
11. What’s your favorite food?
12. Least favorite food?
13. What do you love on your pizza?
14. Favorite drink?
15. Favorite dessert?
16. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
17. Coffee or tea?
18. What’s the hardest part about being a mum?
19. What’s your favorite band?
20. Favorite solo artist?
21. Favorite song?
22. If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be?
23. If you could master one instrument, what would it be?
24. If you had a tattoo, where would it be?
25. To be or not to be?
26. Dogs or cats?
27. Bird-watching or whale-watching?
28. Best gift you’ve ever received?
29. Best gift you’ve ever given?
30. Last gift you gave a friend?
31. What’s your favorite board game?
32. What’s your favorite country to visit?
33. What’s the last country you visited?
34. What country do you wish to visit?
35. What’s your favorite color?
36. Least favorite color?
37. Diamonds or pearls?
38. Heels or flats?
39. Pilates or yoga?
40. Jogging or swimming?
41. Best way to de-stress?
42. If you had one superpower, what would it be?
43. What’s the weirdest word in the English language?
44. What’s your favorite flower?
45. When was the last time you cried?
46. Do you like your handwriting?
47. Do you bake?
48. What is your least favorite thing about yourself?
49. What is your most favorite thing about yourself?
50. Who do you miss most?
51. What are you listening to right now?
52. Favorite smell?
53. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?
54. Who was the last person you sent a text to?
55. A sport you wish you could play?
56. Hair color?
57. Eye color?
58. Scary film or happy endings?
59. Favorite season?
60. Three people alive or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
61. Hugs or kisses?
62. Rolling Stones or the Beatles?
63. Where were you born?
64. What is the farthest you have been from home?
65. Sweet or savory?
66. Lipstick or lip gloss?
67. What book have you read again and again?
68. Favorite bedtime story?
69. What would be the title of your autobiography?
70. Favorite sound?
71. Favorite animal?
72. Who is your girl crush?
73. Last photograph you took?

https://writefulmind.wordpress.com/vogues-73-questions-list/

i'm going to try and answer these 73 questions later.

and i shall answer them with my very heart and soul ripped out of my body and served into the pen gods/slash computer gods that communicate me across the world.

36 questions to ask in order to fall in love with them
Set I

1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
  2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
  3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
  4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
  5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
  6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
  7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?
  8. Name three things you and your partner appear to have in common.
  9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
  10. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
  11. Take four minutes and tell your partner your life story in as much detail as possible.
  12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
Set II
  1. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
  2. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
  3. What is the greatest accomplishment of your life?
  4. What do you value most in a friendship?
  5. What is your most treasured memory?
  6. What is your most terrible memory?
  7. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, would you change anything about the way you are now living? Why?
  8. What does friendship mean to you?
  9. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
  10. Alternate sharing something you consider a positive characteristic of your partner. Share a total of five items.
  11. How close and warm is your family? Do you feel your childhood was happier than most other people’s?
  12. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
Set III
  1. Make three true “we” statements each. For instance, “We are both in this room feeling ... "
  2. Complete this sentence: “I wish I had someone with whom I could share ... “
  3. If you were going to become a close friend with your partner, please share what would be important for him or her to know.
  4. Tell your partner what you like about them; be very honest this time, saying things that you might not say to someone you’ve just met.
  5. Share with your partner an embarrassing moment in your life.
  6. When did you last cry in front of another person? By yourself?
  7. Tell your partner something that you like about them already.
  8. What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?
  9. If you were to die this evening with no opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you most regret not having told someone? Why haven’t you told them yet?
  10. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?
  11. Of all the people in your family, whose death would you find most disturbing? Why?
  12. Share a personal problem and ask your partner’s advice on how he or she might handle it. Also, ask your partner to reflect back to you how you seem to be feeling about the problem you have chosen.

https://www.finder.com.au/36-questions-to-ask-to-fall-in-love-with-someone

i'm pretty sure that this question thing doesn't work but it is fun to look at.

1. What’s your favorite movie?
Vertigo
2. Favorite movie in the past five years?
Logan.
3. Favorite Hitchcock film?
Vertigo.
4. A book you plan on reading?
The Count of Monte Cristo.
5. A book that you read in school that positively shaped you?
A pocketful of rye because it began my love of Agatha Christie.
6. Favorite TV show that’s currently on?
Think Tank.
7. On a scale of one to ten how excited are you about life right now?
Two.
8. iPhone or Android?
Android
9. Twitter or Instagram?
Twitter
10. Who should EVERYONE be following right now?
Whoever they enjoy.
11. What’s your favorite food?
Chilli Con Carne
12. Least favorite food?
Licorice.
13. What do you love on your pizza?
Jalapenos
14. Favorite drink?
Raspberry soft drink.
15. Favorite dessert?
Ice cream.
16. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
Milk chocolate.
17. Coffee or tea?
Neither. Those are the devil drinks. They probably hand them out at aldis where hipsters sip on them like pretentious art students.
18. What’s the hardest part about being a mum?
From what i've observed, dealing with teenage rebellion.
19. What’s your favorite band?
Don't have one.
20. Favorite solo artist?
Tina Arena.
21. Favorite song?
"Heaven Help My Heart" by Tina Arena.
22. If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be?
No one because I can't sing.
23. If you could master one instrument, what would it be?
The piano.
24. If you had a tattoo, where would it be?
I would never get the devil's artwork.
25. To be or not to be?
To be.
26. Dogs or cats?
Dogs...no wait cats...noo dogs. Oh, I say both.
27. Bird-watching or whale-watching?
I've done neither, but if I had to choose I would say whales because I see birds every day.
28. Best gift you’ve ever received?
Money from relatives.
29. Best gift you’ve ever given?
A story i wrote.
30. Last gift you gave a friend?
A story that I wrote.
31. What’s your favorite board game?
Scrabble.
32. What’s your favorite country to visit?
I'm not that rich, or have the desire to travel.
33. What’s the last country you visited?
I have never travelled to another country.
34. What country do you wish to visit?
None. I don't want to be a hipster.
35. What’s your favorite color?
Red.
36. Least favorite color?
Yellow
37. Diamonds or pearls?
Don't care. Both expensive rubbish.
38. Heels or flats?
Don't care.
39. Pilates or yoga?
Not sure. I would like to try yoga one day.
40. Jogging or swimming?
Neither.
41. Best way to de-stress?
Eat.
42. If you had one superpower, what would it be?
The ability to fly.
43. What’s the weirdest word in the English language?
hornswoggle.
44. What’s your favorite flower?
Any flower away from me.
45. When was the last time you cried?
A decade or so ago.
46. Do you like your handwriting?
No. It's awful.
47. Do you bake?
No.
48. What is your least favorite thing about yourself?
My envy.
49. What is your most favorite thing about yourself?
My creativity.
50. Who do you miss most?
Inigo.
51. What are you listening to right now?
Tina Arena.
52. Favorite smell?
Cooked onions.
53. Who was the last person you talked to on the phone?
A call centre person.
54. Who was the last person you sent a text to?
Mum.
55. A sport you wish you could play?
None.
56. Hair color?
I like blondes.
57. Eye color?
Green eyes.
58. Scary film or happy endings?
Happy endings.
59. Favorite season?
Winter.
60. Three people alive or dead that you would like to have dinner with?
Inigo, Agatha Christie, and Tina Arena.
61. Hugs or kisses?
Hugs.
62. Rolling Stones or the Beatles?
The Beatles, because they knew when to stop.
63. Where were you born?
Launceston General Hospital.
64. What is the farthest you have been from home?
A few hundred kilometres.
65. Sweet or savory?
Savoury.
66. Lipstick or lip gloss?
Don't care.
67. What book have you read again and again?
The murder of roger ackroyd.
68. Favorite bedtime story?
Alice in Wonderland.
69. What would be the title of your autobiography?
Somehow I Still Believe.
70. Favorite sound?
Rain on windows.
71. Favorite animal?
At the moment...wombats.
72. Who is your girl crush?
Inigo. It can be no one else.
73. Last photograph you took?
A picture of a rainbow.

14- Only Fools and Horses
Only-Fools-and-Horses-4.jpg

Cheap as chips.​
This was the show that made a star out of David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst. And if you watch the show you can see why. Those two had excellent chemistry not only with each other but with the rest of the cast. Granddad, Uncle Albert, Boycie, Trigger, and even their onscreen partners Cass and Raquel. This was a show that lived and died by it's characters, and therefore it's performances, as the plot basically re-set itself every week (trotters try to become rich.....fail). So the strong acting by everyone in that series really made this show worth watching for me.

The only reason I'm not ranking it any higher is because i felt that some of the later specials dragged it down just a tiny little bit. To me the show should have ended when they actually had gotten rich. We didn't need to see them again. Or rather I didn't need to see them again.

A classic piece of comedy. They way the tension builds, and builds, and then to be released in that way is superb.

13- Monty Python's Flying Circus
th

Thinking of their next absurd skit.​
Monty Python changed the face of comedy (well actually Spike Milligan's tv show by the name of Q changed it, but since it is less known I'll ignore it for now) with the way they structured their tv show. No longer did they restrain themselves with the old "premise, setup, punchline" routine that other sketch shows had been shackled to for the past few decades. They turned the format inside out and upside down twice on a Tuesday and three times on the moon. A skit would often end halfway through, or another character from another sketch would interrupt a skit to announce just how silly it all was.

This form of liberated comedy lit forth the minds of young comedians everywhere as they soaked in the lessons of this historic show and moved forwards with their own artistic endeavours. Some failing, some actually working out ok. But all inspired by the work of the Monty Python troupe.

12- Goodnight Sweetheart
th

He should have tried poly.....​
This is the second tv show with Nicholas Lyndhurst in it, and in my opinion the slightly better one. No, it isn't as funny as the only fools show, but in my opiion it does have a slightly better story line. Plus the character of Gary Sparrow is way more complex than any Trotter. A time travelling bigamist who treats his best friend like the hired help, and yet we are meant to see him as the good guy. Or rather I am. And although I don't quite see him as a good guy, I do kind of find myself supporting him and hoping that any of his wives don't start to find out. Even though I know that cheating is wrong. Poor Phoebe and Yvonne. And yes, even poor Ron. They all deserved better than Gary.

Another thing I liked about the show was the time travel aspect of it. That was cool to see how Gary managed to go back and forth whenever he wanted to. Of course if he hadn't met Phoebe at that pub he never would have gone back to 40's England.

Favourite Episode: The final episode. Possibly the most heartbreaking yet justified endings ever.

I couldn’t watch any more after Phoebe was recast. The new actress was not a patch on the original.

11- The Crown
the-crown-recap-season-1-finale52-1481090057-1489637109.jpeg

Heavy lies the crown.....
This is the show that got me into netflix. Previously I was a bit ambiguous about the whole streaming situation, but seeing this show really turned me into a convert. And maybe even a convert to the monarchy in a way. But I'll have to wait and see. Too early to tell. I mean quite personally I think that Australia should stay in the Commonwealth. To become a republic would be spitting on our values.

Anyway, I don't want to get into all that. I just want to talk about this show, which of course follows the life of the Queen. From her marriage to Phillip to, well i'm not sure when they are going to end the series, but when they do I'm sure they will pick the perfect moment. I for one can't wait for the next few seasons of this show. If what they put on the screen is as good as I hear or read about when it comes to the royal family then I'll probably be putting the show inside my top ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back