Skip to main content

US Survivor - Season 44

I've watched every season too (apart from the one that didn't air here, featuring Boston Rob and Kathy).
The latest ones have been so boring, full of twists and uninteresting people, and this one is following the trend.

The enforced covid break, which it probably needed and came at a convenient time following the all winners season, really should have been the chance to reset and take it back to basics - but they ended up going the other way. They made it overly complicated, and though with their filming rota it's understandable that applied to S41 and S42 it's clear they didn't take on feedback for S43 and S44.

Last edited:
I've watched every season too (apart from the one that didn't air here, featuring Boston Rob and Kathy).
The latest ones have been so boring, full of twists and uninteresting people, and this one is following the trend.
You can watch that one you didn’t see on 10play. Every season of US survivor available there up until about 41.

Funnily enough I’m watching that exact season at the moment

I think we need to be careful about calling the people “uninteresting”. First of all, the cast is diverse and not casted according to charisma or acting ability. They are putting basic people in the game that communicate well.

I’m seeing interesting professions that weren’t common before which I like. And the cast is not white washed like early seasons. Is that what you guys want, more white A grade actors??

I don't think anybody has said that - and you yourself there are criticising posters for calling people "uninteresting" then basically saying they lack charisma because they are cast to be diverse - which nobody here has suggested.

I'm sure everybodies comments on how interesting "people" are here are within the context of how interesting they are to watch playing the game. Survivor isn't Big Brother where personality drives interest in the contestants - it's how willing and able they are to play that generally determines how "interesting" the are.

I never criticised anyone in particular @Brekkie, but I brought up the thought that the cast is “uninteresting” specifically in seasons where the cast is diverse like never before, I just find that interesting. But is it the editing that is at play? The much more balanced format? The rushed editing? Less selectivity in the casting since Jeff pretty much took over casting (from what I understand)? Since Survivor 41 after the covid break, I have heard many people saying that the cast lacks charisma, that they’re uninteresting etc., the diverse cast is just one of the new things that could contribute to the “something new”, that we have to get used to and maybe we will settle into ir? I don’t know honestly, I’m still thinking about it. I still prefer earlier seasons for their focus and story telling. I feel like there is a new politically correct override now that is in overdrive.

But I tend to have some agreement that there maybe is too much broadness in terms of giving every player equal time on screen, and it’s too rushed ? To the detriment that we don’t get to know (any of them) particularly well like we do in Aus survivor?

Also the editing style has changed dramatically as of late. It is aligning more with the rushed style of shows like Amazing race. The editing has jarred me a few many times since 41… And I don’t get that with older seasons or Aus Survivor.

It might be that the “every day person” nature of the casting is just not as great television? My comment that we “need to be careful” was more of a (maybe bad) conversation opener on this topic as I have thought about that when people report on those feelings they have. It does make me feel , I guess curious, about what people think it might be that the cast is less gripping tv than before, are any of my points valid, I would love to hear anyone elses thoughts..

Last edited:
I just think of all the criticism I've seen of Survivor over the last couple of years (and there has been a lot) the diversity of the casting hasn't been one of them.

(Disclaimer - I don't watch the US version) but I can certainly see how trying to give everyone airtime could be as problematic as only giving a handful of contestants any decent airtime.

The diversity of the cast is certainly nothing to do with my feeling that the recent casts have lacked in 'çharacters' who are entertaining and engaging television.

People of any ethnicity or background can be interesting, or they can be boring. It's kind of up to the casting director to pick the right people. And I don't mean all attractive fame-seekers, but people with something that will translate on screen.

Certainly pros and cons to recruiting - does often feel like they're taking a fans spot but with long running shows often it's a problem where everyone on it knows the ins and outs of it and can see every twist coming, something which isn't the case with recruits who haven't seen the show before (apart from the season they watch in sequester beforehand - and the season they're given often influences the way they think the game should be played).

I think as viewers we will always moan - all too often over the years with Big Brother wee saw complaints year in year out about people being cast for looks rather than personality, but then on launch night if it there wasn't sufficient eye candy in the line up people would be complaining too.

Enjoying the merge, actually that’s my favorite part of this new format. I don’t mind a massive nerd contingent this year, they are more entertaining than the geeks from the last 3 years.

Loving Caralyne!! So much fun to watch her, and actually I identify with her, like when she was telling everybody quite plainly that the idol was fake and they just don’t take her seriously. fml lol

Enjoying the merge, actually that’s my favorite part of this new format. I don’t mind a massive nerd contingent this year, they are more entertaining than the geeks from the last 3 years.

Loving Caralyne!! So much fun to watch her, and actually I identify with her, like when she was telling everybody quite plainly that the idol was fake and they just don’t take her seriously. fml lol
She's my favourite too.
I'm enjoying this season more than the last few.

I was tired and not fully paying attention... but why did (person who went home) not play their shot in the dark?
Do you need to actually have it there (hence not having his bag) to use it?

Completely unfair.
Out of curiosity, if the others bought his bag, could they hand it to him?

This ep did my head in! Way too over complicated.

Also, who the actual fuck is Heidi? Where’d she come from?
I suspect that bringing his bag would have been allowed. It really seemed like the the whole configuration of it was so uncharted and ill thought out that the rules wouldn’t even have been put in place for bag delivering.

I agree 100% with that article posted above. This was incredibly unfair and random and limits anyone’s ability to play the game to their full potential. Just give them a roulette wheel at the start of the game and be done with it!!

Back