Skip to main content

Tony Abbott leadership challenge

What I don't understand is why people no longer seem to be able to understand that they don't elect the PM, never have.
This was huge when Gillard knifed Rudd, people deathrode Gillard for her policies...despite it being actual party policies.

I think this time around its slightly different, Abbott and Hockey were completely messing up the country and the polls was abyssmal.
With Labor...there was already quite a lot of good done but to my understanding it was just that Rudd was a complete sociopath.
He was well received on the polls though.

...I wonder what Malcolm Turnbull's views are on gay marriages?... if he's in support of it I bet Abbott's sister is actually happy that her brother has lost his job lol!... cheers.

Last edited:
...in the 'Today Shows' Live coverage of the Canberra turnover a Rainbow was directly behind Karl Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson as they were presenting the News... I bet Karl was convinced that it was coming out of his own arse!... after all... he believes the sunshine does doesn't he?... just saying... cheers.

I hope there is a montage out there if all the times Abbott stated a stable government is what Australia needs etc. Oh well, he's not PM anymore so his words are of little significance. Funny nonetheless.

...I wonder what Malcolm Turnbull's views are on gay marriages?... if he's in support of it I bet Abbott's daughter is actually happy that her dad has lost his job lol!... cheers.
He has vocalised support before, so that will be interesting to see what happens there.

...I actually wrote 'daughter' in that post... it should've read 'sister'... and 'brother' and not 'dad'... :rolleyes::egg:... my bad... I had time to edit it and correct it though... anyhow... I guess that everyone knew what I meant lol!... :thumbsup:... oh okay Jessy_girl so he has shown support for it before?... perhaps it will become Law a lot sooner than we thought eh?... thanks for the info... cheers.

...I wonder what Malcolm Turnbull's views are on gay marriages?... if he's in support of it I bet Abbott's sister is actually happy that her brother has lost his job lol!... cheers.
Progressive views on gay marriage and climate change however he is the leader of a conservative party.
So I'm not sure what will happen, that said he might actually allow a conscious vote.

Hardcore Libs dislike Turnbull.

...I actually wrote 'daughter' in that post... it should've read 'sister'... and 'brother' and not 'dad'... :rolleyes::egg:... my bad... I had time to edit it and correct it though... anyhow... I guess that everyone knew what I meant lol!... :thumbsup:... oh okay Jessy_girl so he has shown support for it before?... perhaps it will become Law a lot sooner than we thought eh?... thanks for the info... cheers.

Hehe all good Sticky, sorry for quoting you as a record! It's all the same really.

Speaking of Abbott's family, I used to work with a friend of his, like an actual long time very close friend and her daughters were friends with his etc. I worked with her when he was leader of the opposition but not during his stint as PM, I'd love to have been around her for the awkwardness that would have been that period and especially on a day like today. Oh but then I'd probably stop thinking of him as a caricature and remember he's a real person and feel sorry for him.

I hope there is a montage out there if all the times Abbott stated a stable government is what Australia needs etc. Oh well, he's not PM anymore so his words are of little significance. Funny nonetheless.

He has vocalised support before, so that will be interesting to see what happens there.

Progressive views on gay marriage and climate change however he is the leader of a conservative party.
So I'm not sure what will happen, that said he might actually allow a conscious vote.

I thought he explicitly said yesterday= no change to party policy on marriage equality including the idea of a plebiscite and no change on climate change under his leadership.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly. So I do think the Nationals leader could be PM albeit a short time.

Frank Forde wasn't official deputy PM tho. The 'portfolio' of Deputy PM was only created in the late 60's

That's what I thought. It's a ceremonial temporary sort of position as the Libs will never let one of the Nationals be their actual figure head that they believe can make decisions on their behalf in the long term, win over over voters and lead the party to an election.

IMO the deputy of the Liberals is the real deputy as that's where a substitute for a leader will realistically come from.

I thought he explicitly said yesterday= no change to party policy on marriage equality including the idea of a plebiscite and no change on climate change under his leadership.
Well he avoided answering it completely last night, so I'd say it will come up again, atm he needs to steady the ship because that party room is extremely divided and also, a lot of older people did like Abbott.

That's what I thought. It's a ceremonial temporary sort of position as the Libs will never let one of the Nationals be their actual figure head that they believe can make decisions on their behalf in the long term, win over over voters and lead the party to an election.

IMO the deputy of the Liberals is the real deputy as that's where a substitute for a leader will realistically come from.
I can't see Julie Bishop becoming PM. She isn't someone the public can warm to IMO.

This was huge when Gillard knifed Rudd, people deathrode Gillard for her policies...despite it being actual party policies.

I think this time around its slightly different, Abbott and Hockey were completely messing up the country and the polls was abyssmal.
With Labor...there was already quite a lot of good done but to my understanding it was just that Rudd was a complete sociopath.
He was well received on the polls though.

From what i remember the public wasn't aware of the dark side of Rudd's personality. He had always presented as a kind of stiff loveable nerd. Which is why is ousting seemed so shocking. But now it is more understandable why he was ousted. Still, Labor should have done a better job explaining their decision.

I'm not on Facebook this time around to see the response from the public, but i remember Julia Gillard was taking a beating from so many people, she was painted as a villain by many. I'm curious to know what the response from the public this time around will be. I think Turnbull will be forgiven for the same thing Julia was condemned for. That's just going by the media response to all of this. In saying that, Abbott was not popular though so it helps the situation.

The channel 9 hosts were knocked about by the wind lol. For those that are anti Karl.

I'm not on Facebook this time around to see the response from the public, but i remember Julia Gillard was taking a beating from so many people, she was painted as a villain by many. I'm curious to know what the response from the public this time around will be. I think Turnbull will be forgiven for the same thing Julia was condemned for. That's just going by the media response to all of this. In saying that, Abbott was not popular though so it helps the situation.

The channel 9 hosts were knocked about by the wind lol. For those that are anti Karl.

I think it will be a case of too little too late

Yeah I began to realise this listening to the radio, reading the news etc. it's not so bad, he might be the balance that the liberal party needs. I think with the growing newer generations the liberal party is out of touch with the changing world (well obviously hockey set that standard with his out of touch reality comments). So he can balance the Conservative party policies with a broader thinking of those policies too. I hope he is not all hype.

He did say that. But then his speech suggested so much more in the same stance, so who knows what will happen. He said things like respecting the intelligence of the AUS people, needing to persuade rather than lecture the public, stating that change is inevitable and needing to be agile... But yet ignored the question on marriage equality and stated no to climate change. So it does make me go hmm at this stage

did they not get his numbers out in time?

12003347_10152986867835940_1193753818069490754_n.jpg

Back