Skip to main content

Tony Abbott leadership challenge

pecan

Awesome site donor
This story has been developing over the last week since the Queensland election, with news today that a vote has been officially requested by backbenchers Luke Simpkins and Don Randall.

http://www.news.com.au/national/lib...leadership-spill/story-fncynjr2-1227210400219

445673-268e1384-adac-11e4-90ab-ef3fd79aaa94.jpg

It would surprise me if they did go through with it, given their desire to distance themselves from the Rudd/Gillard era, but there's still the possibility of Abbott standing aside if the numbers are against him.

Honestly I can't help but laugh my fucking arse off. After everything they've said they now find themselves in the same mess as Labor did.
I'm not completely convinced they are. I think Luke and Don might end up with egg on their faces. We will see ok Tuesday I guess.

I'm not completely convinced they are. I think Luke and Don might end up with egg on their faces. We will see ok Tuesday I guess.

There's no way he wins even in the event Tones retains leadership because, as was the case with Gillard, from now until the election the specter of a leadership challenge will be an ever present distraction.

JFC, Australian politics is just a big fucking mess.

I hate Tony Abbot, but I could not care less if he is in or out.... Can't we just have a bunch of people in power who can get the bloody job done without all this kind of crap.

JFC, Australian politics is just a big fucking mess.

I hate Tony Abbot, but I could not care less if he is in or out.... Can't we just have a bunch of people in power who can get the bloody job done without all this kind of crap.

We could have a different PM by this time next week, but the same people will still be operating the strings.

There's no way he wins even in the event Tones retains leadership because, as was the case with Gillard, from now until the election the specter of a leadership challenge will be an ever present distraction.
Again I'm not entirely sure, the result may just be that the two guys who called it look stupid and the Libs come out looking stronger and united. Probably not, but possible.

All this crap is bad for Australia. I became so frustrated at the circus of the Labor Party. If this happens again I will be most disappointed. Let's get on with what is important.

Again I'm not entirely sure, the result may just be that the two guys who called it look stupid and the Libs come out looking stronger and united. Probably not, but possible.

All this crap is bad for Australia. I became so frustrated at the circus of the Labor Party. If this happens again I will be most disappointed. Let's get on with what is important.

Very true there's definitely a strong chance he stays. There's going to be a lot of phone calls this weekend trying to figure out numbers and if it looks like there will be enough for a spill I think Tony will step down before the vote is even taken and Julie will step up.

The only possible positive outcome I could see coming from this would be for Malcolm Turnbull to become PM.

Malcolm wants it no doubt and he's my prefered pick but he's a little too left for the party IMO. I think Julie is a safer bet for them.

True. There's going to be a lot of phone calls this weekend trying to figure out numbers and if it looks like there will be enough for a spill I think Tony will step down before the vote is even taken and Julie will step up.

Malcolm wants it no doubt and he's my prefered pick but he's a little too left for the party IMO. I think Julie is a safer bet for them.
I think you may be right @Consuela that Julie will be the preferred person for the job. Lefties seem to be on the outer.

I think you may be right @Consuela that Julie will be the preferred person for the job. Lefties seem to be on the outer.

Plus Julie is from WA like the faction calling for the spill and she's deputy so it's a more 'ordinary' succession.

But like they say it's not over until Gina Rinehart sings.

I'm not so sure that this is because Tony Abbott is doing a poor job as our Leader but rather due to the negative media attention he's been getting ever since being elected. There is no denying that the man is not 'the sharpest PM in Parliament House" but I think he has done a lot of good and has good intentions. Personally I would prefer Julie Bishop to be leading if the Liberal Government remains in power but I think that we should give Labour another go now that they have had a proper chance to get themselves sorted out.

Back