Skip to main content

Today I ........

We're family, no matter where were from ❤
haha, very kind, dear February However, some mods (runs away from no one in particular) make one a bit nervous. I've been on a month banning once, that was enough for me to learn to toe the line eeeeeeek lol

haha, very kind, dear February However, some mods (runs away from no one in particular) make one a bit nervous. I've been on a month banning once, that was enough for me to learn to toe the line eeeeeeek lol
Well, I guess we just have to not be too vocal and express our beliefs to the point of insulting/offending others. I learned to keep moderate in my posts on the first forum I frequented years ago. It's hard sometimes when there are antagonists out to get you.
I had a warning awhile ago.on another forum I post on, "telling me off" for trying to beat the bad language filter - which I was guilty of 😂
At least we don't have that here. That filter includes the mildest of language or innuendo. Probably because there's a wider age group posting!
I was actually quite shocked to be in trouble ... or caught out, I should say.

Well, I guess we just have to not be too vocal and express our beliefs to the point of insulting/offending others. I learned to keep moderate in my posts on the first forum I frequented years ago. It's hard sometimes when there are antagonists out to get you.
I had a warning awhile ago.on another forum I post on, "telling me off" for trying to beat the bad language filter - which I was guilty of 😂
At least we don't have that here. That filter includes the mildest of language or innuendo. Probably because there's a wider age group posting!
I was actually quite shocked to be in trouble ... or caught out, I should say.
I was guilty of referring to Caitlin Jenner by her former name (because I was quoting an instance in a long ago Kardashian episode) but it got two of us banned becase someone else had an issue w/something she had said politically. whew lol

Today I had a very unsuccessful trip to Flight Centre to book my first trip home in 5 years, only to be told we now have to book an appointment to be there. So Wednesday afternoon it now is! Talk about inconvenience and disappointment! 6 days and counting!
We'd book it online ourselves if it was a direct return trip to the UK, but we're doing the New York run in the same trip to see my stepson and family, and rather use an agent so there's someone to sort out any problems that may arise with travelling the way it is now.
Shark tank had an entrepreneur pitch a travel app using points
It's been bought by Experion but still seems like a great tool

Today I had a very unsuccessful trip to Flight Centre to book my first trip home in 5 years, only to be told we now have to book an appointment to be there. So Wednesday afternoon it now is! Talk about inconvenience and disappointment! 6 days and counting!
We'd book it online ourselves if it was a direct return trip to the UK, but we're doing the New York run in the same trip to see my stepson and family, and rather use an agent so there's someone to sort out any problems that may arise with travelling the way it is now.

The websites are also garbaged unless you're doing something basic. I think the system is set up so travel agents don't waste their time on booking trips to the gold coast and so people need to use them for more complex and expensive trips.

If you ever try and work out flights on the websites that aren't a simple point-to-point of a common destination, they're horrendous.

I recently was trying to work a potential trip out to visit the east coast of the USA. It was so insane the cost and huge layovers the websites were giving me.

My recent trip to Fiji was not too complex, but I wanted a travel agent to help because it was all last minute. No appointments. Made a mistake in booking something from ignorance and it all being on the fly last minute. Cost me a couple grand more than I expected. Which was annoying. Also a few other little things where I'm sure someone with experience or knowledge of Fiji would have helped with.

My only online booking mishap happened in India. I bought a budget domestic ticket online while I was in Amritsar. Few days later, checked out of my hotel, got to the airport, only to be told my flight was "yesterday". So somehow, despite me putting in the correct date for the flight, it had offered me a ticket for the previous day and I hadn't noticed :rolleyes: ...and ofc being a budget airline I was shit out of luck.

Our latest hold up is car hire in the IK. I uswd to book a car as soon as id bookef the flight, a good 10 montgs in advance. I tried booking for next april, and it comes uo nothing availavle, yet if i try for january, cars come up. So it seens now you can only book 3 months in advance.
I tried Hertz, Europe Car, Thrifty as they're all that's left in Ipswich UK. Avis, which we've always used has now closed die. I wonder if this is all covid fallout.

Our latest hold up is car hire in the IK. I uswd to book a car as soon as id bookef the flight, a good 10 montgs in advance. I tried booking for next april, and it comes uo nothing availavle, yet if i try for january, cars come up. So it seens now you can only book 3 months in advance.
I tried Hertz, Europe Car, Thrifty as they're all that's left in Ipswich UK. Avis, which we've always used has now closed die. I wonder if this is all covid fallout.
Googled this website which covers April 2023...don't know if any information helps though....

Googled this website which covers April 2023...don't know if any information helps though....
I saw that site. I'll have another look tomorrow. I think it was pick up and drop off location problems. Picking up Ipswich, suffolk, dropping off Glasgow city.
I also rang Drive Away Holidays and the guy there couldn't book what is been trying to book, and told me to try again next month as the prices may not be out yet. 🤔

I saw that site. I'll have another look tomorrow. I think it was pick up and drop off location problems. Picking up Ipswich, suffolk, dropping off Glasgow city.
I also rang Drive Away Holidays and the guy there couldn't book what is been trying to book, and told me to try again next month as the prices may not be out yet. 🤔
Tried again from that link, and again it says no cars available!

Today (well, yesterday) I adopted "Grandma" Katoro from the pagoda in Phnom Penh. I have mentioned her before, she had been attacked by someone, who left her leg so badly broken amputation was the better choice. I had considered the possibility her leg got broken after she'd slept
under a car in the shade or something. But one other dog, and a cat, also suffered broken legs in the last two years and all three of them lived in the same part of the pagoda, near the main entrance. And since then, her granddaughters Rathna and Rathany have both disappeared (i.e. likely stolen for dog meat). So yes, a very high possibility her injury was no accident, unfortunately.

So Sunday night, I took the night bus down, getting in at 5.30am yesterday. Had a few chores to do while I was in the big city, so quickly got those done and then took her to the NGO vet to get her shots updated, before a driver brought us back to Siem Reap to start her new life.

As it's her new life, I've given her a new name and she will now be known as Ruby. Because she's krahom (red).

I'm so happy to have her here and I have to say she was very excited when I turned up. That's the second time I'd been back since I left PP in March and both times she was beside herself when I turned up. I feel a bit sad separating her from her remaining daughter, Mea, and her buddy/erstwhile boyfriend Grandpa, not to mention the only home she's ever known. But I believe it's for the best, and I had the monk's blessing. And she'll have my undivided attention... and she'll be good company for me as well, and provide security too. So a win-win.

Here we are at Casa de Timmy:

viber_image_2022-10-25_08-09-49.jpg

Today (well, yesterday) I adopted "Grandma" Katoro from the pagoda in Phnom Penh. I have mentioned her before, she had been attacked by someone, who left her leg so badly broken amputation was the better choice. I had considered the possibility her leg got broken after she'd slept
under a car in the shade or something. But one other dog, and a cat, also suffered broken legs in the last two years and all three of them lived in the same part of the pagoda, near the main entrance. And since then, her granddaughters Rathna and Rathany have both disappeared (i.e. likely stolen for dog meat). So yes, a very high possibility her injury was no accident, unfortunately.

So Sunday night, I took the night bus down, getting in at 5.30am yesterday. Had a few chores to do while I was in the big city, so quickly got those done and then took her to the NGO vet to get her shots updated, before a driver brought us back to Siem Reap to start her new life.

As it's her new life, I've given her a new name and she will now be known as Ruby. Because she's krahom (red).

I'm so happy to have her here and I have to say she was very excited when I turned up. That's the second time I'd been back since I left PP in March and both times she was beside herself when I turned up. I feel a bit sad separating her from her remaining daughter, Mea, and her buddy/erstwhile boyfriend Grandpa, not to mention the only home she's ever known. But I believe it's for the best, and I had the monk's blessing. And she'll have my undivided attention... and she'll be good company for me as well, and provide security too. So a win-win.

View attachment 59352
How jolly cute you two are!

View attachment 59352
Awwwww

How old do you think Ruby is @timmy?
I'm not sure if Monk Chea told us her age, or if the vet estimated it, when she broke her leg, but we think she's about 6 and a half now. If that's right she'd have been born in May 2016. But she could be a bit older, I think. I was very wary of the dogs at the pagoda back then because a pack of them chased me quite aggressively once when I first started walking through there.

I'm not sure if Monk Chea told us her age, or if the vet estimated it, when she broke her leg, but we think she's about 6 and a half now. If that's right she'd have been born in May 2016. But she could be a bit older, I think. I was very wary of the dogs at the pagoda back then because a pack of them chased me quite aggressively once when I first started walking through there.
I think it's wonderful you both have a good 7/8 years in the furure together. You've done a beautiful thing taking her into your home. I hope you both have a lovely time together. It's good to hear a nice story for a change ❤
And more pictures as time goes by would be good too.
Maybe we need a Timmy and ruby thread.

Dunno about a thread, but here's the story and update.

Ruby.jpg

So, when I arrived at the pagoda last Monday morning she was absolutely beside herself when she saw me. Barking like crazy and tail going off, which in turn caused her bf Grandpa and daughter Mea to also go off. So I had three dogs all going crazy wanting cuddles. So overwhelming, really lovely. Admittedly she wasn't so keen a bit later when I picked her up and bundled her into a tuk tuk to go to see the vet, let alone the six hour trip up to Siem Reap (first time in a car for her, but she was pretty settled in the back seat with me).

It's been a massive change for her, from being at the busy pagoda with people, motorbikes, tuk tuks etc coming and going all day, to just being with me. And she's used to being free-range, not locked in a yard. There's only a limited view of the street from the gate because there are two shops in front of the house, so I started taking her on supervised street visits, and by Friday I felt comfortable to leave the gate ajar so she can pop out there any time.

At the vet we weighed her and she'd put on 3kg since May last year when she had her leg amputated, which surprised me as one of the reasons I wanted to take her was because I'd been told "they don't get enough food at the pagoda". It turns out a local had posted a pic of her on a Cambodian Animal Lovers FB group, at a food stand just near the pagoda. So she's been hanging out there in the evenings *playing the disabled card* for food lol. She's a smart girl.

Meanwhile, there are five young boys who live just across the road (aged 5-10, I guess), and they've played in my driveway sometimes. I saw them come to have a look, and she bounded out to meet them with her tail wagging, so sweet. She's a really social dog. So the final piece in the puzzle will be getting her to befriend the local dogs. There are quite a few about, and the all seem pretty chill, but she's new to their territory so it might take a little while. I need to make contact with them myself first and get their trust, and then perhaps that will follow on. I've been walking a bit up the street with her but she's not ready to go very far. Would like her to come with me for breakfast etc when she's ready, and she can meet Scruffy Scarlet, Lucky, and Tina Titswobble, my usual brekkie buddies.

So the only real issue is separation anxiety. If I go out and lock her in the yard she immediately starts crying. But I think she settles down fairly quickly as she's calmed down when I get back. The boys were out in the street last night wen I headed out to grab dinner so I left her outside with them. I'd rather she was in the yard but she's basically a street dog, with street dog smarts, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

I'm so happy to have her here. She is such a lovely doggo. Always comes in with a big smile, and gives me a little lick/kiss on the foot when she wants cuddles when I'm watching TV.

I'm open to any doggy tips/advice if anyone has any suggestions.

Back