Skip to main content

Today I ........

Oh I missed it too. Or at least some of it. I was travelling and worrying about rabies on my friend‘s behalf.
Scarlet looks like a sweetheart. RIP Scarlet. They are such little darlings (most of them!) And they depend on us such alot. It‘s heartbreaking when they go.

Yeah that really upset me. Armed with my new tickborne disease knowledge, I got Ruby tested a few days ago, and she actually tested positive so is now on a month of antibiotics. So I guess it's Scarlet's legacy that Ruby won't suffer the same fate.

week long heat wave here :( I've been clearing a plot on my farm for a 13m hot house, which is now done. Yesterday I started digging the foundation holes for the poles to go in (15 of them :confused: )
I managed to dig 2 by 10am but the heat was in the mid 30's by then, so that was me out... I had a 5 hour lunch break from 10am - 3pm ;) until the heat started to dissipate ... then around 5pm I popped in 2 poles and concreted them in.
Last night I went to bed at 8.30pm, woke up this morning at 5am & by 6 I was digging holes again - got 3 done by 7 - before the sun came up over the tree's... ooooh weee -- that sun has a nasty bite in it today... I'll wait until 5pm again to put the poles in and cement them... too friggin' hot ;)b2.jpg

week long heat wave here :( I've been clearing a plot on my farm for a 13m hot house, which is now done. Yesterday I started digging the foundation holes for the poles to go in (15 of them :confused: )
I managed to dig 2 by 10am but the heat was in the mid 30's by then, so that was me out... I had a 5 hour lunch break from 10am - 3pm ;) until the heat started to dissipate ... then around 5pm I popped in 2 poles and concreted them in.
Last night I went to bed at 8.30pm, woke up this morning at 5am & by 6 I was digging holes again - got 3 done by 7 - before the sun came up over the tree's... ooooh weee -- that sun has a nasty bite in it today... I'll wait until 5pm again to put the poles in and cement them... too friggin' hot ;)View attachment 59401

That looks like a big butch job. I need to hang a shade cloth in my concrete yard, but will enlist my neighbour's help to do that.

That looks like a big butch job. I need to hang a shade cloth in my concrete yard, but will enlist my neighbour's help to do that.
I often think about Cambodia when I am doing these jobs.. I imagine being there so I can buy the materials as the costs would be probably better than 50% less than what we pay here...
To finish this off I will need 40m x 2m of shade cloth & 26m x 2m of plastic for the roof... It would be a lot cheaper to buy there than here :biggrin:

I often think about Cambodia when I am doing these jobs.. I imagine being there so I can buy the materials as the costs would be probably better than 50% less than what we pay here...
To finish this off I will need 40m x 2m of shade cloth & 26m x 2m of plastic for the roof... It would be a lot cheaper to buy there than here :biggrin:

Not to mention you could pay someone else to do it and reclined and drunk beer while you supervised, and still have spent way less than in AU.

I actually feel bad for saying that.

Not to mention you could pay someone else to do it and reclined and drunk beer while you supervised, and still have spent way less than in AU.

I actually feel bad for saying that.
Yes you're 110% right... + you are giving them some work & they are getting some well needed $$$, so it's not a bad thing & remember the locals get one price & farangs pay a bit more ;)

Meanwhile I bought a bunch of bird of paradise plants to put alongside my very hot concrete wall. Still have yet to install the shade cloth but that will help as well. The plants were US $8 each so that was less than $50, well spent. I literally cannot spend time in the yard when it's sunny, it's just an oven. Temp check with thermometer just now:

Untitled-1.png

Meanwhile I bought a bunch of bird of paradise plants to put alongside my very hot concrete wall. Still have yet to install the shade cloth but that will help as well. The plants were US $8 each so that was less than $50, well spent. I literally cannot spend time in the yard when it's sunny, it's just an oven. Temp check with thermometer just now:

View attachment 59403
Urghhh I thought mid 30's was unbearable... 46c is murder....

The only time I experienced temps like that was when I was in Laos. For the 3 days I was there I would have to stay inside between 10am-5pm with the aircon set to 16c and the fan at max...

I feel for ya bud, those temps are horrendous....

Urghhh I thought mid 30's was unbearable... 46c is murder....

The only time I experienced temps like that was when I was in Laos. For the 3 days I was there I would have to stay inside between 10am-5pm with the aircon set to 16c and the fan at max...

I feel for ya bud, those temps are horrendous....

The official temp for SR was about 31C when I took the temps, it's just that the sun on all those concrete surfaces radiates like hell. Anyway plants are so cheap I'm going to buy a bunch more as they are obviously making a huge difference. Might get a small above-ground pool too in time for next summer. But meantime the shade cloth should really help, once I get it up. Just keeping an eye out for my neighbour to enlist him.

Today I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and, hopefully, a happier New Year than we've had for the last couple of years.
I love being a part of this forum, and hope we all continue to post and be great friends for many years to come.
Thanks to Breckie for making it happen.
Love to you all xxx

Today I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and, hopefully, a happier New Year than we've had for the last couple of years.
I love being a part of this forum, and hope we all continue to post and be great friends for many years to come.
Thanks to Breckie for making it happen.
Love to you all xxx
Right back at ya @February. No need to thank Brekkie though. @Tim is the boss, @marquisite does all the work, and @Brekkie takes the credit 😂

Hopefully a few people will return for Aus Survivor next month and we can sweep out the tumbleweeds for a bit. All the best to those still hanging around.

Wishing everyone a happy [insert your preferred holiday here] and a healthy, happy and prosperous 2023. Y'all know where to find me. :p

Happy holidays people, and for those of us doing it hard (I myself lost relatives this year), just try to be happy if you can.
We're not doing presents this year for the first time ever (just chipping in for all the food), as all the nieces and nephews are now teenagers. It's a transition and doesn't seem quite right, but there you go.

This forum and it's people are a little bit special, in a way you don't find elsewhere on the net.

Wall to wall Christmas carols on tv, including what must be at least the fourth repeat of the Delta Goodrem xmas special, plus Kochie AGAIN.

Please make it stop after today.

Back