Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I mean if I HAD to be kept in isolation the Hilton would be ok. But I’m Pretty sure that after a day ir so I would be at home. They can‘t use any of the normal stuff that goes along with five stars.

Yeah. One of them was complaining about lack of fresh air and all.
Well I can understand that actually.

And I meant rather be at home. Thst was probably obvious. But I‘m typing this on my cracked screen which I cant get repaired because absolutely nothing is open. So its hard to see properly.

I don‘t know if I would COMPLAIN about being quarantined in a five star hotel in this particular climate but I don't think I would like it at all.

Here (Bavaria) we are in lockdown. Can‘t buy anything or go anywhere except for groceries or medical stuff. Since Friday 13 (ha!) March. Not supposed to do anything that is with another person (unless you live with them).
No take away coffee (or REALLY hard to find. I haven‘t found any). Can‘t buy a pair of pyjamas. Or an office chair. Or get your cracked phone screen repaired. Or anything much.
It‘s pretty tedious.

I think Germany has capacity to economically recover from the virus.

For Italy and Spain, I think this will intensify the economic problems they already had.

The health aspect of the virus is obviously the most important thing to address but I also think that longterm economic hardship could be bad for people's mental health post-virus.

I agree. The first thing I thought of when all the lockdowns started happening - I‘m afraid - was - how many people sre going to have experience with depression, domestic violence, suicide, substance abuse. Themselves or someone they know/are involved with.

My first day out of self isolation and how things had changed. Now you have to line up to get into the supermarkets and make sure you step on these little lines on the floor to keep your distance at 2 metres. I was in a 1 hour lineup to get into a Costco but was able to get everything I needed INCLUDING toilet paper and they had a lot inside. One of the other hazards I discovered is that now its hard to find any store that is open who will allow you to use their restroom so as there were no gas stations around (and even many of them have closed theirs) I had to find a quiet spot and relieve myself at the side of the road.

My first day out of self isolation and how things had changed.
OMG it was my first day out of mandatory self isolation yesterday. Sorry your trip was screwed up because of Covid-19, so was mine.
This is not the Australian I left in early March for my holiday. I had to cut it short as my I did the right thing and came home once the PM advised all Aussies overseas to come home. I actually caught the last flight home before the border shut to non Aussies citizens.
Yeah going out yesterday to the shops just gave me anxiety. Woolworths gave me handsantizer as I entered the store and an employee wiped my trolly down. No TP at all in my small town tho... I got what I needed, but I I rarely pay attention to the price of thing and I just bought what I usually do and this shop cost me $40 more than usual. I guess prices are going up.
I feel for those people stuck in 5 star hotels. I at least could open my window or go sit in the background for fresh air. I'm happy I made it back in time before the rules changed to all overseas arrivals being put into a hotel.
Now I did leave my house once I had to get tested as I work in health and my work would not let me return without getting a clearance from my doctor. So I called the doctor, was advised to call the Covid-19 hotline for my local hospital and they said yes come get tested. Waited in my car for 2 hours. Got tested and went straight home. I got a negative result. So I start back up at work tomorrow, which I am so excited about.
This whole thing is so crazy tho. 2020 didn't start out as a good year for me with the bushfires and now this. I am loving all the memes on Facebook about how 2020 has been cancelled etc...
I just hope this calendar doesn't come true haha
1585702174485.jpg

I agree. The first thing I thought of when all the lockdowns started happening - I‘m afraid - was - how many people sre going to have experience with depression, domestic violence, suicide, substance abuse. Themselves or someone they know/are involved with.
Yes those sorts if things can be very harmful to mental health indeed.... and just the sorts of things that some people might obviously have no qualms about trying to use as a weapon against others, if they think it justified... I wonder how the health system is going to cope not only with the virus, but those secondary health impacts when it is it not well resourced to deal with in the first place... Excuse my directness and lack of metaphores with hidden meanings and references etc. btw... I know you and others like to use those a lot... the ,invisble veil' stuff and all. Well I am off to feed the horses. Have a nice day y'all.

Another thing to think about which may be coming soon. How much money do you have on hand. What if as things dont seem to improve within a month or so people start a run on the banks and all of a sudden....you not only cant get your money out, but if things get really bad, it disappears. It might be good to have a little cash tucked under your mattress just in case. Nobody knows where this is going. Every day they tighten up restrictions on something and looting has begun on grocery stores in Sicily.

In reality if none of this social distancing is working after a couple of months they should try to just bring things back to as normal as possible and we just have to try to ride it out and Im saying this as someone who would be high risk of becoming a fatality being on anti rejection drugs. They cannot lock everything down forever. There has to be a reckoning sometime soon, perhaps the end of May where grave decisions may have to be made if all the actions taken have done little to eradicate the virus.

Lets just all hope that the peak is near and things take a turn for the better soon.

In Australia the prime minister is talking about these restrictions being place until at least October. I think because they might be worried about upcoming flu winter season.

They are staying in comfort in quarantine and at the end of the quarantine period they will have a home to go back to. It is short term inconvenience. There are plenty of people just a few months ago that have been left without homes due to fires. Some of them would probably love to be staying in that kind of comfort and not have to worry about paying for the food or accommodation even if it came with some inconvenience.

I can understand feeling cooped up and wanting to be in your own space and having autonomy, but under the circumstances where you could actually go out there and be infectious with a disease that could kill people, wouldn't knowing the guilt of knowing a person or people died because of you cause more discomfort in the long run than these quarantine conditions?

Unexpected.......people still working getting more and more pissed off
My son, music producer had gigs in Switzerland & Germany, all cancelled
That is a loss of thousands......he cannot claim anything anywhere
And, he has a day job, deemed essential, maritime suppliers, they supply medical kits, food pouches, blow up emergency boats.
Renewed supplies every 3-6 months, so it is constant.
The point is......he is getting more pissed off every new government support $ announced, as he says, $1,500 a fortnight is more than he is paid.
He is tired and grumpy all the time, and so pissed off everyone including me is getting more dollars for being isolated and doing nothing

Humans: "We can't wind everything back to reduce our toxic impacts on the environment"
Mother Nature: "Here's COVID-19. Practice".

Adaption of original, Anon.
Brilliant, best post
This time isolated, I am hoping it will change everyone and make them better people
Stop mindless consumerism
Realise capitalism cannot continue for much longer

3 day break of a habit does work for me

Back