Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I know we will have to open up eventually but it upsets me when people are calling for open borders when we haven’t even got most of our population vaccinated and even when vaccinated a lot of people are still going to die.

Some people are damn impatient.

It’s only year 2 in a pandemic. These things take time to manage. It would have been thoughtful if there was more consideration and time for the vulnerable. Some people thought when it struck midnight to 2021 that the pandemic was suddenly going to be over. Pandemics don’t run on a time schedule.

There’s the thing though - do we really need to open up the international borders? That is where the catastrophe will start. I think Australia will head down the same path as Israel though where most of those in hospital will be the vaccinated.

Personally, I am happy to isolate until this whole pandemic blows over.

There’s the thing though - do we really need to open up the international borders? That is where the catastrophe will start. I think Australia will head down the same path as Israel though where most of those in hospital will be the vaccinated.

Personally, I am happy to isolate until this whole pandemic blows over.
I'm not. I mean when will this blow over?

OPEN INTERNATIONAL BORDERS NOW!

I'm not. I mean when will this blow over?

OPEN INTERNATIONAL BORDERS NOW!

When they actually do a lockdown that actually works and no half strength lockdowns.

Lockdown everyone for 2 weeks. Medical only reasons to leave home. Supermarkets delivery only options. Easiest way to stop the spread.

When they actually do a lockdown that actually works and no half strength lockdowns.

Lockdown everyone for 2 weeks. Medical only reasons to leave home. Supermarkets delivery only options. Easiest way to stop the spread.
That sounds crazy.

Could I ask you why you don’t want to be vaccinated Affable?

It is really the only best defence against this virus. I have had both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine now. No side effects apart from a mild sore arm the day afterwards. I did take it very easy the days after and hardly did anything just in case I had any side effects. I think you are in your twenties so I would recommend Pfizer for you if you can get it. 🙂 AZ only for the older people.

It is really the only best defence against this virus. I have had both jabs of the Pfizer vaccine now. No side effects apart from a mild sore arm the day afterwards. I did take it very easy the days after and hardly did anything just in case I had any side effects. I think you are in your twenties so I would recommend Pfizer for you if you can get it. 🙂 AZ only for the older people.
I had mild sore arm from second dose of Pfizer too.

There’s actually many reasons behind my decision and I don’t buy into the ‘best defence against the virus’ argument that the government is trying to sell.

There’s actually many reasons behind my decision and I don’t buy into the ‘best defence against the virus’ argument that the government is trying to sell.
Oh ok. But what other defences are there? The virus is going to start spreading everywhere. The more people vaccinated the less risk of the virus mutating.

Oh ok. But what other defences are there? The virus is going to start spreading everywhere. The more people vaccinated the less risk of the virus mutating.

The best defence at the moment is avoiding people where possible. My life at the moment consists entirely of online shopping so risk is low

What about the long term effects of the vaccine?

Government has no problem mandating the vaccine on their second class citizens yet do not mandate it on Parliament or on their own police force. Do you not find that strange?

Good on you for sticking to your guns against the propaganda.

I am not going to take a vaccine just being some dumbass in government tells me too.

I research and come to the best decision for myself. I don’t need some dictator telling me what to do.

The majority of people in this country will end up fully vaccinated. If you are vaccinated yourself and believe in its effectiveness then there is no need for you to worry about the minority who aren't. Their reasons are their own business. Personal choice should be respected and an explanation is not owed.

I know we will have to open up eventually but it upsets me when people are calling for open borders when we haven’t even got most of our population vaccinated and even when vaccinated a lot of people are still going to die.

Some people are damn impatient.

It’s only year 2 in a pandemic. These things take time to manage. It would have been thoughtful if there was more consideration and time for the vulnerable. Some people thought when it struck midnight to 2021 that the pandemic was suddenly going to be over. Pandemics don’t run on a time schedule.
Who is calling for open borders? I don't know anyone who wants borders opened like they were before the pandemic. What many want is a relaxation of travel restrictions. Something that helps us see a gradual recovery of tourism and business domestically and internationally. If we get to 2022 and are still doing state border closuures then I'd find that unacceptable!

Who is calling for open borders? I don't know anyone who wants borders opened like they were before the pandemic. What many want is a relaxation of travel restrictions. Something that helps us see a gradual recovery of tourism and business domestically and internationally. If we get to 2022 and are still doing state border countries then I'd find that unacceptable!
I reckon we should relax travel restrictions overseas for a short while so those who feel the yearning to travel can do so, then we roll back those restrictions in a reasonable time frame. And if those travelling overseas don't manage to get back then they'll have to deal with it. I call it a one way ticket strategy.

Unfortunately this theory needs to be longer than two weeks to work The virus has a 14 day incubation period, but it could be spread to people within a household, so needs to be more like a 3 or 4 week period to be effective. In practice in Auckland it is taking longer than that. I am not sure if these later ones are happening now because people are going to the supermarket/working at the supermarket? but they were the only place open apart from doctors/pharmacies. so there was limited place to spread, and it does make a difference, as the graphs on this page shows https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

Back