Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Death count as of today (not including the undercounts from countries that are not testing, or countires not reporting accuratly)

Deaths:​

Nearly 5 million people. More than 100 countries in the world have less people than that. This is not a miniscule amount of people.
I have a horrible sense of impending doom when Australia decides its time to open up everywhere.

A lot of people who are here today won’t be here in a few months time. Unlucky people who are suffering underlying health conditions even those who are vaccinated are going to die who otherwise would have lived many many more years if it wasn’t for this virus. A lot of older people are going to die as well. (They could have had many years ahead of them as well)

It is heartbreaking.

Those calling for Australia to open up please just take a second to think if it was you or one of your family members who had an underlying health condition. People want to live with this virus but for some this will be a death sentence for them. It is being inconsiderate to be calling for opening up to those vulnerable people. They are going to die just so you can travel somewhere exotic and get a tan.

I know we have to open up eventually but I think Australia is naive when it will come to the deaths when we open up. We have been so incredibly lucky in this pandemic so far. I think Australians have no idea how serious this is and the personal devastation COVID has had around the world. Soon it will be in our own backyard.

I have a horrible sense of impending doom when Australia decides its time to open up everywhere.

A lot of people who are here today won’t be here in a few months time. Unlucky people who are suffering underlying health conditions even those who are vaccinated are going to die who otherwise would have lived many many more years if it wasn’t for this virus. A lot of older people are going to die as well. (They could have had many years ahead of them as well)

It is heartbreaking.

Those calling for Australia to open up please just take a second to think if it was you or one of your family members who had an underlying health condition. People want to live with this virus but for some this will be a death sentence for them. It is being inconsiderate to be calling for opening up to those vulnerable people. They are going to die just so you can travel somewhere exotic and get a tan.

I know we have to open up eventually but I think Australia is naive when it will come to the deaths when we open up. We have been so incredibly lucky in this pandemic so far. I think Australians have no idea how serious this is and the personal devastation COVID has had around the world. Soon it will be in our own backyard.

If it were up to me, I’d never open the international borders. Unfortunately it is not up to me though.

It is heartbreaking.

I can't wait for Australia to open up so people who want to travel overseas can do so and be so enamoured with it that they never post online again.

Haven‘t seen a cop on the street since COVID started. Nearly half the people I pass on the street aren’t wearing a mask. Every place selling coffee has people chatting outside without masks all day long. Never been questioned or seen anyone being questioned about where they’re going or why. Zero enforcement.

If it were up to me, I’d never open the international borders. Unfortunately it is not up to me though.
I know we will have to open up eventually but it upsets me when people are calling for open borders when we haven’t even got most of our population vaccinated and even when vaccinated a lot of people are still going to die.

Some people are damn impatient.

It’s only year 2 in a pandemic. These things take time to manage. It would have been thoughtful if there was more consideration and time for the vulnerable. Some people thought when it struck midnight to 2021 that the pandemic was suddenly going to be over. Pandemics don’t run on a time schedule.

I know we will have to open up eventually but it upsets me when people are calling for open borders when we haven’t even got most of our population vaccinated and even when vaccinated a lot of people are still going to die.

Some people are damn impatient.

It’s only year 2 in a pandemic. These things take time to manage. It would have been thoughtful if there was more consideration and time for the vulnerable. Some people thought when it struck midnight to 2021 that the pandemic was suddenly going to be over. Pandemics don’t run on a time schedule.
We can't be controlled by this virus. We have to learn to live with it, not fear it.

Back