Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

You can't Live with Covid™ until you have a vaccinated population. Australia is NO WHERE near this point and at current rates won't be for a while. Without it our only options are lockdowns or to let ~RIP. We know what this virus does when left to it's own devices in an UNVACCINATED population even before there was such a thing as the Delta variant. Pretending like it'll do anything else just because a small percentage of people are testing positive TODAY or because a vaccine is available is pure stupidity when those vaccines are in vials and not bodies. This back and forth about lockdowns, even quarantine leaks, is an idiotic distraction from the real issue of the vaccine rollout. No jabs, no options. Pure and simple.

You can't Live with Covid™ until you have a vaccinated population. Australia is NO WHERE near this point and at current rates won't be for a while. Without it our only options are lockdowns or to let ~RIP. We know what this virus does when left to it's own devices in an UNVACCINATED population even before there was such a thing as the Delta variant. Pretending like it'll do anything else just because a small percentage of people are testing positive TODAY or because a vaccine is available is pure stupidity when those vaccines are in vials and not bodies. This back and forth about lockdowns, even quarantine leaks, is an idiotic distraction from the real issue of the vaccine rollout. No jabs, no options. Pure and simple.

Actually, Sweden lived with the virus since the whole pandemic began. They went for a herd immunity response which is quite effective.

I don’t need no government telling me how to take care of my health. I can do that perfectly fine myself. Maybe other Australian’s (potentially quite a lot in this thread advocating for lockdowns) cannot take care of their own health and need government direction?

Looks like false equivalency in that first tweet. The date of the newspaper on the right is August 3 2020. At that time last year Victoria already experienced weeks of daily case numbers in the triple digits. NSW is nowhere near that situation and we're still in the very early stages of our lockdown.

If Rudd is trying to demonstrate media bias then he should at least use comparable examples from the timeline of both outbreaks.

Looks like false equivalency in that first tweet. The date of the newspaper on the right is August 3 2020. At that time last year Victoria already experienced weeks of daily case numbers in the triple digits. NSW is nowhere near that situation and we're still in the very early stages of our lockdown.

If Rudd is trying to demonstrate media bias then he should at least use comparable examples from the timeline of both outbreaks.

Rudd is a known Murdoch hater. I take nothing he says seriously.

Actually, Sweden lived with the virus since the whole pandemic began. They went for a herd immunity response which is quite effective.

I don’t need no government telling me how to take care of my health. I can do that perfectly fine myself. Maybe other Australian’s (potentially quite a lot in this thread advocating for lockdowns) cannot take care of their own health and need government direction?
You may see Sweden and it's 14,000+ deaths as a successful version of living with covid but I see it as bit like living with an abusive partner; not sustainable.

And I too can take care of my own health by getting vaccinated. But because of the government I can't get vaccinated. I don't know if you're trying to imply that I'm advocating compulsory vaccinations because I'm not. There'll always be those who won't get the jab but it's the government's responsibility to encourage them and make them available. They're failing both tasks at the moment. Government's have always and will always tell us how to take care of our health. Smoking kills, eat healthy and exercise, drink responsibly. It's nothing new or sinister.

Look at the UK's recent case numbers. I'm not confident vaccination is going to resolve this.

the fact that there are phrases such as "covid parties" would indicate that there are morons that cannot be responsible during a pandemic and need guidance

Look at the UK's recent case numbers. I'm not confident vaccination is going to resolve this.
Vaccination is not going to resolve this is the sense that it's going to eliminate covid. Covid I fear is here to stay and while the vaccines are not 100% they do impede transmission and lessen symptoms. This is key to living with covid because it allows us to treat it as an endemic, like the flu, rather than the pandemic it currently is.

Vaccination is not going to resolve this is the sense that it's going to eliminate covid. Covid I fear is here to stay and while the vaccines are not 100% they do impede transmission and lessen symptoms. This is key to living with covid because it allows us to treat it as an endemic, like the flu, rather than the pandemic it currently is.

Not sure where you heard that but that is completely false.

Here’s a more reputable source.

40-60%… So doesn’t impede transmission completely.

A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others.

Interesting. I wonder what this evidence is and what changed from when the vaccines were introduced for this to occur.

Not sure I really believe the CDC though. US sources, yuck.

Interesting. I wonder what this evidence is and what changed from when the vaccines were introduced for this to occur.

Not sure I really believe the CDC though. US sources, yuck.
I understand - I trust nothing entirely coming out of the US about covid. I didn't click until after I posted it it came from the CDC.

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
Reading comprehension is an important skill Affable.

Here’s a more reputable source.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduc said:
This article was originally published in The Conversation. Read the original article.

🤔
40-60%… So doesn’t impede transmission completely.
vaccines are not 100% they do impede transmission and lessen symptoms
Impede
verb
1. to interfere with or slow the progress of
Like I said impede. Not eliminate.
🤡

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
Reading comprehension is an important skill Affable.

🤔

Like I said impede. Not eliminate.
🤡
You posted leftist column The Conversation which is not a trustworthy source. Plus, I am not going to read rubbish from a site like that. Not that hard to find more reliable sources.

Did I use the word “eliminate”? 40-60% is a mid range rate so not sure what sort of “impeding” is occurring. Continue your carry on though.

🤡

The country that was closest to reaching herd immunity prior to vaccinination was the USA - and even then they were nowhere close, with only about 15-30% (depending on the fact there would be many undignosed) of the country who had it. The impact on the economy of the country was still detrimental, as was the impact of the reputation of the country. I am not sure what the benefits of herd immunity for the USA were?

Back