Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

You posted leftist column The Conversation which is not a trustworthy source. Plus, I am not going to read rubbish from a site like that. Not that hard to find more reliable sources.

Did I use the word “eliminate”? 40-60% is a mid range rate so not sure what sort of “impeding” is occurring. Continue your carry on though.

🤡
so you expect others to look at sky news but you are not open enough to look at an article from a source that apparently leans left (which I didn't even know leans left until you posted that thing the other day, as that is one of the more unbiased sources I have found, far more so than many that are supposed to be in the centre). That is disappointing.

The country that was closest to reaching herd immunity prior to vaccinination was the USA - and even then they were nowhere close, with only about 15-30% (depending on the fact there would be many undignosed) of the country who had it. The impact on the economy of the country was still detrimental, as was the impact of the reputation of the country. I am not sure what the benefits of herd immunity for the USA were?

Look at the population of the two countries… 328 million vs 11 million.

Of course they weren’t anywhere close. Do you really think that the US were going to get 328 million under the herd immunity approach? There was no way.

Sweden 1 million cases. Much more manageable with an 11 million population.

so you expect others to look at sky news but you are not open enough to look at an article from a source that apparently leans left (which I didn't even know leans left until you posted that thing the other day, as that is one of the more unbiased sources I have found, far more so than many that are supposed to be in the centre). That is disappointing.

I do read left sources but not partisan left ones. I think that chart needs some updating.

The Conversation, Q&A and the Project should be partisan. I find The Age and SBS as more left based as well but at times read them. For all the terrible rubbish that the ABC broadcast on TV, their online news service is pretty good.

You posted leftist column The Conversation which is not a trustworthy source. Plus, I am not going to read rubbish from a site like that. Not that hard to find more reliable sources.

Did I use the word “eliminate”? 40-60% is a mid range rate so not sure what sort of “impeding” is occurring. Continue your carry on though.

🤡
Once again. Reading comprehension. Lets break this down.

1. I said vaccines impede transmission.
  2. You reply saying that's completely false. Where'd I hear that.
  3. I supply articles from the Conversation and the ABC.
  4. You reply saying here's a more reputable source and link an article from the RACGP website. Said RACGP article clearly states the article on this page is a reprint of the one I linked from the Conversation.
  5. You also say 40-60% so doesn't impede completely. Like this disproves my saying vaccines impede transmission. When your words in fact prove my point.
  6. I reply trying to get across to you that impeding something is not completely eliminating something by providing the definition of impede.
  7. You reply with some partisan rubbish and that 40-60% reduction is isn't an impediment.
  8. I continue to be flummoxed by your apparently complete refusal to accept the definition of a word and that your assertations were incorrect not mine.

giphy.gif

Once again. Reading comprehension. Lets break this down.

1. I said vaccines impede transmission.
  2. You reply saying that's completely false. Where'd I hear that.
  3. I supply articles from the Conversation and the ABC.
  4. You reply saying here's a more reputable source and link an article from the RACGP website. Said RACGP article clearly states the article on this page is a reprint of the one I linked from the Conversation.
  5. You also say 40-60% so doesn't impede completely. Like this disproves my saying vaccines impede transmission. When your words in fact prove my point.
  6. I reply trying to get across to you that impeding something is not completely eliminating something by providing the definition of impede.
  7. You reply with some partisan rubbish and that 40-60% reduction is isn't an impediment.
  8. I continue to be flummoxed by your apparently complete refusal to accept the definition of a word and that your assertations were incorrect not mine.

giphy.gif

Once a bully, always a bully. Never change Consuela.

I do read left sources but not partisan left ones. I think that chart needs some updating.

The Conversation, Q&A and the Project should be partisan. I find The Age and SBS as more left based as well but at times read them. For all the terrible rubbish that the ABC broadcast on TV, their online news service is pretty good.
In that case partisan left must have a lot of research behind it, because here are the founding partners and members of The Conversation.

1624879515182.png

In that case partisan left must have a lot of research behind it, because here are the founding partners and members of The Conversation.

View attachment 56963

A lot of research that may or may not include opinion. It is well known that universities and schools usually promote left wing ideology.

As I said before, not a site that I visit. I prefer balanced sites.

note it says vaccination is the key. If we are nowhere close to having this country vaccinated we cannot follow this strategy. I would not be at all surprised if this is the planned strategy for Australia once we have more of the country vaccinated, but we have fallen way behind other countires in this regard. We will need to treat it like the flu with booster shots to cover the new strains but life will hopefully be far more normal once we have reached herd immunity through vaccination.

note it says vaccination is the key. If we are nowhere close to having this country vaccinated we cannot follow this strategy. I would not be at all surprised if this is the planned strategy for Australia once we have more of the country vaccinated, but we have fallen way behind other countires in this regard. We will need to treat it like the flu with booster shots to cover the new strains but life will hopefully be far more normal once we have reached herd immunity through vaccination.

I was not comparing them to Australia. Just showing an article which I found interesting but since you brought it up.

If you want to get vaccinated, that’s your choice.
I won’t be getting vaccinated, that’s my choice.

I was not comparing them to Australia. Just showing an article which I found interesting but since you brought it up.

If you want to get vaccinated, that’s your choice.
I won’t be getting vaccinated, that’s my choice.
Sorry I may have worded that wrong - I wasn't meaning you I was meaning the general population. If enough of Australia does get vaccinated what you do personally is irrelevant as there will be herd immunity. Your decison may come with other concequences for you unfortunately, such as restricting your ability to travel or the work you can do, but we all have to make the life choices that we need to live with.

Sorry I may have worded that wrong - I wasn't meaning you I was meaning the general population. If enough of Australia does get vaccinated what you do personally is irrelevant as there will be herd immunity. Your decison may come with other concequences for you unfortunately, such as restricting your ability to travel or the work you can do, but we all have to make the life choices that we need to live with.

Yeah and I am fine with that. I don’t need to travel and the work that I am involved with or want to be involved with would have nothing to do with vaccination.

I think if I were to travel internationally though, it would be on a one way ticket out of Australia. I just find the handling of the virus in this country extremely poor. Sometimes I feel embarrassed as both a Victorian and an Australian.

A lot of research that may or may not include opinion. It is well known that universities and schools usually promote left wing ideology.

As I said before, not a site that I visit. I prefer balanced sites.
1624880811288.png
Again based on this the conversation is as much left as sky news is right. except this is rated higher in standards. independance and originality. And it way more balanced than Sky news opinion, which much of what you post would fall under.

View attachment 56964
Again based on this the conversation is as much left as sky news is right. except this is rated higher in standards. independance and originality. And it way more balanced than Sky news opinion, which much of what you post would fall under.

“Sticks to the facts when they cover things but tend to focus more on left wing issues”… That actually says it all really.

The fact that Q&A and The Project fall under that is a complete joke. I don’t agree with the chart in that sense.

I used to like McGowan but I think he is overreactive. This shutdown open up, shutdown open thing around Australia is ridiculous now. Lockdown should be a last resort and if you catch a small number of cases early enough you can deal with it through other less disruptive methods.

Back