Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I'll get it done. Probably no worse than getting a bit of lip injection.
I’m a bit freaked about it. One of my students said today his sister has been in hospital for a week now with thrombosis after getting the first vaccine (Biontech).

A non bulk billing GP - you must be one of those fancy folk in the Eastern Suburbs haha ;):p
I had to question myself about my GP not bulk billing, and looked it up ... This Practice will bulk bill children 0 to 9 years of age or anybody that holds a pension or healthcare card.
I started wondering why I've always paid!

I have been in self isolation since March 2020 due to auto immune disease, shit immune system
Only going to doctors, chemist....and brief food, with some deliveries

So, had 1st vaccine month ago...only gives you minimal protection until 2nd jab
Now, I have been invited to 2 celebrations in restaurants, feeling kind of freaked out about
venturing out of my small bubble, and they have to book for Covid limits.

Strange hermit instincts I have now, doctor advised I can start doing stuff like this again just take care, masks, sanitiser etc.
How do I shift my fucked up headspace and get out and about, not my normal previously

And if I say yes, but cancel later how bad mannered is it? Numbers are important, don’t want to be rude etc
Have a horrible feeling I will panic amongst so many people, seems too much, and that I should start with more
outdoor gatherings, gradual easing into being sociable

And, people are getting slack again, despite signs everywhere commanding masks are still compulsory on PT
More people ignoring this, and fewer people sanitising

I have been in self isolation since March 2020 due to auto immune disease, shit immune system

Now, I have been invited to 2 celebrations in restaurants, feeling kind of freaked out about

Strange hermit instincts I have now, doctor advised I can start doing stuff like this again just take care, masks, sanitiser etc.
How do I shift my fucked up headspace and get out and about, not my normal previously

And if I say yes, but cancel later how bad mannered is it? Numbers are important, don’t want to be rude etc
Have a horrible feeling I will panic amongst so many people, seems too much, and that I should start with more

And, people are getting slack again, despite signs everywhere commanding masks are still compulsory on PT

Be as rude as possible. People will just put down your behaviour as being eccentric.

It's going to be one of those things where you have to relearn how to be out in public. You've had over a year of your neural pathways rewiring informed by fear of the virus and people. You now have to unlearn that and rewire it all.

You only do that by actually pushing outside of the comfort zone. It'll take time, but it'll happen by doing. Normal cognitive behavioural therapy type stuff. Take it easy, be sensible and you'll grow to ease out of it slowly. Maybe you're not up to some of the larger gatherings yet. Don't worry about being rude. If it's too much you can leave. You have a legitimate reason. There's nothing to feel bad about.

Don't worry, even those of us who haven't been in as extreme isolation have versions of this. After masks were not required, I still wore mine a bit. Then even after that, I'd be walking from my car and sometimes have an intense moment of panic for a second for not having a mask. It was a learned instinct.

Reactions: kxk
Thanks @up_all_night, your sound advice makes a lot of sense
Yours @Columbo not so much....these people celebrating are very,very dear to me

1st is an intimate lunch for my best friend, we met in high school, she has completed chemo for now
Her lovely daughters arranged this surprise at her favourite place
I can cope I think
But, drawback is, it is right in the CBD, getting there and dealing with so many people in transit freaks me out
Haven’t been anywhere beyond 5kms from home yet.

Feels weird to feel this way, I have always loved being at big crowd events, love our city, love people
Giving it a try, maybe take half a valium

Thanks @up_all_night, your sound advice makes a lot of sense
Yours @Columbo not so much....these people celebrating are very,very dear to me

1st is an intimate lunch for my best friend, we met in high school, she has completed chemo for now
Her lovely daughters arranged this surprise at her favourite place
I can cope I think
But, drawback is, it is right in the CBD, getting there and dealing with so many people in transit freaks me out
Haven’t been anywhere beyond 5kms from home yet.

Feels weird to feel this way, I have always loved being at big crowd events, love our city, love people
Giving it a try, maybe take half a valium

But at your age, with what you being in your 80s, you'll be able to get away with it!

Oops, hit send without writing what I was going to say!
You have to do what makes you feel comfortable.
We were invited to a friends daughter's 18th last weekend. Initially we said yes, we would go, but then the restriction were announced again last week, as in only allowing 20 visitors to your house.
The mum messaged us saying they had 22 acceptances, 4 had since pulled out for whatever reasons, and then she added that her daughter had 5 or 6 friends going, but they would be going clubbing at 10pm.
So long story short, the dad came into the salon Saturday morning to get his hair cut and I asked him about numbers and he told me they had just 20, and no more. I was a bit unsure, as he said people would be coming and going, so there would be unlikely to be more than 20 at a time. That's when we thought, you're not supposed to have people coming and going. It's supposed to be 20 - story over. So I called the mum and she admitted they had the original 22, but 4 had dropped out so they now had 18, and I asked if that included the daughters friends and she said no. They would be just over. I wasn't comfortable with even 1 over let alone 23/24, so I told her it wasn't worth the risk. If a neighbour got the shits with party sounds going on they could call the police, and being "just over" isn't a reasonable excuse when they sate just 20. So we didn't go. I think she was glad. I don't think she felt comfortable trying to cull the numbers herself. So, you have to do what feels right for yourself.
If you go, try and enjoy yourself. It's easy to become a hermit, but you also don't want to end up with agoraphobia, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
LOL
worthy of @reepbot bit of snark
I find your new name/persona not a patch on the old you
Why the change?
New persona?

I chose Columbo because I like the detective show and I wanted to change my user name for years.

Back