Skip to main content

the random 'LIVE' thread...

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/Commo...inesses-empty-despite-commonwealth-games.html

Gold Coast businesses 'empty' despite Commonwealth Games

Credits: Newshub.

While you'd think the Commonwealth Games would be great for Gold Coast local businesses, many say they're actually struggling.

They're blaming officials for using scare tactics to keep an expected three-quarters of a million visitors away.

An industry support group leader in the area, Glenn Day, owns five restaurants on the Coast, but says he's still waiting to cash in on the Games.

"People would have staffed up, [brought] more stock in," he told Newshub.

"It just hasn't been turning over and you haven't had the hours for the staff, but it's costing us money."

Businesses struggled in the lead-up, with constant roading upgrades pushing people away.

Mr Day says they had banked on the Games being their cash cow.

"We've lost quite a lot of money in the lead-up to the Games, so there's nothing in the coffers. It won't give us the build-up we've been looking forward to."

Minutes up the road, it's a similar story in Surfers Paradise. Christine Broadway runs a bar with her son and is blaming the council and government for scaring people off.

"The roads were going to be very busy; the traffic was going to be impossible, but the M1 was going to be blocked."

Many cafes and bars in the area are sharing similar stories of being practically empty, but there seems to be little sympathy from Mayor Tom Tate, or Games organisers.

"Get out there and market," Mr Tate says.

"I mean, I never sat still when I ran my businesses."

Commonwealth Games chief executive Mark Peters shared the sentiment.

"Maybe in some areas people who have normally come in and dined their have heeded the message too much, but we're not hearing that."

But it is what many locals are saying - now dubbing their seaside town the "Ghost Coast".

Newshub.

That's what happens when you don't have to compete against America...or Russia...or any non-Commonwealth European countries...or nations from Asia.

When you think how many Australian sportspeople are taking part (partly because they are the hosts so a lot cheaper to get a large team transported to the games) and the population of Australia in comparison to some of the other countries on the list you would statistically expect them to win more medals.

Umm, that is me, i hate chips of both kinds, ie hot and bagged, I have never eaten a bag of either, tasteless empty calories:(
I eat a couple and wonder how anyone keeps eating.
A crunchy potato cake I can stomach

Have not seen the show, will catch a repeat, Hughes is far more palatable in this format and the panel is always good value

Gosh, I would rather give up anything but chips, especially hot chips.
I don't eat a lot of them, but when I do I enjoy the experience.

To each their own, there are things I don't like, like smoking, drugs and any kind of alcoholic drink.
That makes me sound like some kind of puritan weirdo, but it's not that, I'm not offended by them, I just don't like the taste/sensation.

EDIT : and coffee

...has anyone else watched Roves 'Show Me The Movie' on Channel 10 yet?... what are your thoughts?... I cannot stand Joel Creasey at all but I bite my tongue and watch it in spite of him being on it... I have mixed feelings about this show... it's obvious that 'Whovians' will not be returning because of this new show of Roves which is such a shame as far as I'm concerned... so I'm begrudgingly watching it just because I like Rove...

...some segments of the show fall a tad bit flat at times but overall it's quite a good concept for a show I guess?... anyhow... I sort of like it with a triple half back twist but I would have preferred it if 'Whovians' was still going instead... I guess that this show will eventually grow on me (get rid of Creasey and I'll like it a whole lot quicker)... so what do any of you wonderful people think about it?... cheers.

The new MasterChef ad is too try-hard.
"Will this NONNA be a GONNER?"
It's a fail because they've twisted "goner" to rhyme with "nonna". but no one says it like that.
Shades of George's "Boom shake the room".

...has anyone else watched Roves 'Show Me The Movie' on Channel 10 yet?... what are your thoughts?... I cannot stand Joel Creasey at all but I bite my tongue and watch it in spite of him being on it... I have mixed feelings about this show... it's obvious that 'Whovians' will not be returning because of this new show of Roves which is such a shame as far as I'm concerned... so I'm begrudgingly watching it just because I like Rove...

...some segments of the show fall a tad bit flat at times but overall it's quite a good concept for a show I guess?... anyhow... I sort of like it with a triple half back twist but I would have preferred it if 'Whovians' was still going instead... I guess that this show will eventually grow on me (get rid of Creasey and I'll like it a whole lot quicker)... so what do any of you wonderful people think about it?... cheers.

Why do you assume Whovians won't be back?

Neither show would take up much of Rove's time, and why can't it continue without him anyway?
He is an independent producer of all his shows, and his company produces a few shows and that hasn't stopped his on screen stuff.
Movie Show sucks, and won't last anyway

I couldn't go see Adam at the local as had a huge family funeral of our matriach, was going to ask him about Whovians

Why do you assume Whovians won't be back?

Neither show would take up much of Rove's time, and why can't it continue without him anyway?
He is an independent producer of all his shows, and his company produces a few shows and that hasn't stopped his on screen stuff.
Movie Show sucks, and won't last anyway

I couldn't go see Adam at the local as had a huge family funeral of our matriach, was going to ask him about Whovians

I think Whovians will be back too.
This article is carefully worded to not confirm or deny it. If it had been axed they'd say so pretty quickly.
This season of Show Me The Movie will have wrapped up before DW starts, not that Rove couldn't handle doing both.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/02/rumour-rove-heading-back-to-ten.html

Back