Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

Nothing wrong with not voting because you're unsure which way sits right with you. Not voting because you CBF is childish imo.
There is such savageness because some don't like change, and some insist on it.
To quote George Bernard Shaw:
You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'
Well I would have had to go through re-registering, probably getting stuff witnessed, then deregistering so I dont get fined next time, blah blah. And I just do not feel strongly enough about this issue to have done that for something that is not even binding anyway. Maybe that’s bad of me.[DOUBLEPOST=1510568413][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well some are going to be mighty surprised, aren't they? LOL
Haha

Yes, they can, and I’m fine with that too. Maybe I should have voted, I dont know.
What I dont understand exactly is why there seems to be SUCH savageness about it. Or ... that’s the impression I have from: reading The Age, reading the ABC website and This website.

Savagery whipped up by right wingers such as cory bernardi and tony abbott.

Well I would have had to go through re-registering, probably getting stuff witnessed, then deregistering so I dont get fined next time, blah blah. And I just do not feel strongly enough about this issue to have done that for something that is not even binding anyway. Maybe that’s bad of me.
Nah, most people not invested in the outcome probably wouldn't either, including me. I must have misread, I thought you could vote, but couldn't decide either way so just didn't.

So glad this is nearly over! Well, of course it's not over yet, but this part of it.

Some of my friends are going to an official results day picnic, I am undecided on attending but I guess I will because, why, well not. Will be good to celebrate or commiserate with others. Ignoring the fact it's not binding, it's such an incredibly momentous event tomorrow and will hopefully signify the beginning of change, both in the laws and in attitudes. And young gay or bi people everywhere can be reassured that things do get better and that many of the people around them support their rights and do see them as equals.

I admit that I have been very lucky to have only really had positive reactions and great support with regards to my sexuality, which maybe has clouded my opinion with this debate. But I know that that is not true of everyone, and considering the conversations taking place it's easy to think people will not react well. Even if you do have support it's such a horrible mind fuck to approach, and I just keep thinking of the young gay teens watching this unfold :(

For me personally, the part of the campaign that I find upsetting is the repeated arguments about thinking of the children and how it's bad for families. It actually makes me feel ill. As some of you may know, I have made the grave, grave "mistake" of raising a child in a non conventional family with two mothers and up until this debate I felt fine about doing this knowing he had a stable and loving home. But doing that was my choice and not his and now I've been made to feel like this was a terrible error in judgement.

It's not like I can go back in time and make it that my son was never born to spare him his horrible fate, and nor would I ever want to.

So I am hoping for a good outcome tomorrow just as a fellow human wanting everyone to have that right, but I do feel personally invested - as do many others. Fingers crossed!

As some of you may know, I have made the grave, grave "mistake" of raising a child in a non conventional family with two mothers and up until this debate I felt fine about doing this knowing he had a stable and loving home. But doing that was my choice and not his and now I've been made to feel like this was a terrible error in judgement.!

NO NO NO. Your son has a much more stable and living home than many, many others. In my role I see many sweet little kids being torn apart by separated or divorced parents who see them as a bargaining tool or a weapon to score some points on their previous spouse. I'm not suggesting that every couple stay together nor that all problems can be worked through and solved - but it does seem that the 'marriage' that is so yearned for and valued by one section of the community is taken very lightly and easily dismissed by another section. I know which parents I would want bringing up a child I love.

I am not sure about you all but I am nervous and concerned about tomorrow. I am more so concerned because either result will not be remarkably good.

I've been keeping away from Facebook, the media, everything, but if I were a person who went on anecdotal evidence I would say its a no vote according to all the regular bar flies that drink at my work.

Of course I'm wrong. The hilarious/awkward discussions at work are not a true representation of the broader society's opinion.... :p

I must say that I have had a similar experience as this. I have spoken to plenty of no voters in comparison to yes voters. Plus, I could tell some people who were telling me that they would be voting yes were pulling wool over my eyes and voting the other way. To those people, I really don't care how you vote. Just don't lie to me. :p

I am not sure about you all but I am nervous and concerned about tomorrow. I am more so concerned because either result will not be remarkably good.

I am extremely nervous and concerned. Most people seem to be saying "of course it will be a YES", but if it isn't, or if it just scrapes in by a small margin, I feel as though it will be swept under the carpet and dismissed, with the excuse that they are now doing what the people wanted (ie. nothing).

Does anyone know how it will be announced? Will it trickle in a bit at a time, with the numbers changing, or just announced as a final result?

I am extremely nervous and concerned. Most people seem to be saying "of course it will be a YES", but if it isn't, or if it just scrapes in by a small margin, I feel as though it will be swept under the carpet and dismissed, with the excuse that they are now doing what the people wanted (ie. nothing).

Does anyone know how it will be announced? Will it trickle in a bit at a time, with the numbers changing, or just announced as a final result?

I read it will be a gold envelope (like Gretel in the Big Brother days). 9.55am SBS tomorrow. Head of ABS will be announcing final result.

Last edited:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...who-will-tell-us-who-won-20171109-gzi545.html

Head person of ABS will announce it pretty quickly at 10am.

For me personally, the part of the campaign that I find upsetting is the repeated arguments about thinking of the children and how it's bad for families. It actually makes me feel ill. As some of you may know, I have made the grave, grave "mistake" of raising a child in a non conventional family with two mothers and up until this debate I felt fine about doing this knowing he had a stable and loving home. But doing that was my choice and not his and now I've been made to feel like this was a terrible error in judgement.

It's not like I can go back in time and make it that my son was never born to spare him his horrible fate, and nor would I ever want to.
This whole farce has been hard not to take personally, I know. But I am quite sure your boy will have a wonderful loving childhood and grow up to be a much better person than those who have reared their ugly heads these past few months. Hang in there. Big hugs!

Let's just hope for the best tomorrow morning.[DOUBLEPOST=1510651179][/DOUBLEPOST]
Seeing as they are going to tell the leaders of the Yes and No campaigns shortly in advance before putting them into lockdown... I wonder it they will put them in little glass booths with headphones, Family Feud style? That would be pretty good.

Won't stop them from yelling out I think They would need a soundproof one like they used on Big Brother. Even that wasn't soundproof enough.

Let's just hope for the best tomorrow morning.[DOUBLEPOST=1510651179][/DOUBLEPOST]

Won't stop them from yelling out I think They would need a soundproof one like they used on Big Brother. Even that wasn't soundproof enough.
Well let’s gather here about 9:45am. I want this to change despite this stupid poll.

It's time to go....

... LYLE!
I really think that these haters should just crawl back from where they came from. I’m not a practicing Christian, but I was brought up like that. I follow Rod Bower. He of the fabulous billboards. “Jesus had two Dads and he turned out well. Get over it!” He seems like a Christian to me.

Back