Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

Apparently Labor said they would back a same sex marriage bill that was proposed by Liberal Senator Dean Smith before this survey thing started.
Dean Smith's bill was quite sensible and I would be happy for it to go ahead. But there is no chance in hell the Coalition would put that bill forward now, because they know it would pass.

'Yes' campaign soars in the polls as figures show 10.8 million have had their say on gay marriage - leaving the 'No' camp needing three in every four remaining votes to win
  • 'Yes' votes for the same sex marriage postal survey appear to have surged
  • New figures show 59 per cent of voters are now in favour of same-sex marriage
  • The survey found 38% of those who had already cast their vote had ticked 'No'
For a late turnaround in outcome, at least three in every four of the remaining votes will need to be against the change.

While 'No' votes had gained ground recently thanks to a high number of older voters, the poll showed there were still too few to cause a significant impact.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-soars-gay-marriage-polls.html#ixzz4vp8df7us
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Personal note:
I am orange in a rainbow flash-mob, this Sunday.........and will be dancing in honour of my beautiful late sister, a proud and gorgeous lesbian

I am orange in a rainbow flash-mob, this Sunday.........and will be dancing in honour of my beautiful late sister, a proud and gorgeous lesbian
Good for you, I hope it's huge!

And I can't imagine No getting 38% but I suppose it's possible. I keep looking forward to Tuesdays now just for the response rate. ABC News says the ABS is scanning the responses already, but not counting them (yeah, right). Obviously they cannot announce any results until it closes so it doesn't influence remaining voters. But I would love to work for the ABS right now just to get an inside view.

ABS today says that 74.5% of forms have been returned. I'm impressed.

Last chance to get them in the post if you haven't done so already. They need to arrive back by 7 November.

DM30IIJVQAE3j5f.jpg

Reactions: kxk
I have to say I am really impressed at that response rate for a non binding survey. I expected about 30%. That is a statistically significant response rate that is for sure!

We’ve got some great news: the ABS has released their turnout figures for this week and 77% of Australians have returned their survey! This fantastic result was only possible because of each and every one of you. Every conversation with friends and family, every phone call to voters, and every donation has helped people to post their YES votes.

When this survey was first announced, there were serious concerns Aussies wouldn’t post their surveys back. We had political pundits predicting turnouts lower than 40%. They all underestimated the power and passion of those who believe in equality for all!

When we wrote our plan for the survey, we set a goal of getting 60% to post back their survey. We thought this would be a good result and go a long way to ensuring a strong YES vote.

The fact that we’re at 77% is phenomenal! And it’s down to every single supporter like you working so hard to have those conversations with friends, family and colleagues to make sure they posted their YES vote!

This is all to say: you’ve done a great job getting the YES vote out. Congratulations!

We’re not there yet. We don’t yet know what the final result will be. But regardless of the outcome, we should stop and take a moment to reflect on what we’ve achieved together — making sure so many Australians posted back their YES votes.

In appreciation,

Shirleene Robinson
The Equality Campaign

I just asked my buddy how her 102 year old Mum voted.......haaaaaaaaaaa
Answer: I voted YES, for her:)
I said, ooooo hope other offspring have been clever, after all WE have to live with this, very old people shouldn't care/or be bothered by this")

For anyone you know who hasn't voted yet, survey forms can be handed in at ABS drop-off centres in capital cities up until the 7th of November, except in Melbourne which has a public holiday that day:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...d/news-story/8bcbc8713b68771db2bb0c4df3bc8f42

If you don’t want to risk the post, are in a capital city and really want to have your say, there’s another way to vote.

You can hand-deliver your completed survey to an ABS drop-off centre. They’ll be accepted until 4.30pm on November 7.

[...]

The ABS drop-off centres for hand-delivery are open in every capital city, and the Geelong, from 8.30am to 4.30pm. But Melbournites take note: the Melbourne centre will be closed on the final day of the survey, because it coincides with the Melbourne Cup Day public holiday.

I just asked my buddy how her 102 year old Mum voted.......haaaaaaaaaaa
Answer: I voted YES, for her:)
I said, ooooo hope other offspring have been clever, after all WE have to live with this, very old people shouldn't care/or be bothered by this")
So let me get this straight, you think it is okay to take away a persons right to vote and have their opinion heard because they are “very old and shouldn’t care/or be bothered by this”? And you think this sort of dishonesty is “clever”. Newsflash Nelly, this behaviour is not clever, it’s offensive, a form of elder abuse and is illegal. These “very old people” have value, their opinion has value, and their right to vote is as important as yours, and if you actually spoke to these “very old people”, rather than stealing their mail you may be surprised that a majority support the plebiscite, and those who don’t have the right to say no.

I swear its people like you who have a detrimental effect on this important issue, behaviour like yours changes a swing voters to a firm no. You think you are helping but you’re not. The best thing you could do when it comes to supporting the plebiscite and supporting our gay communities right to marry is keep your ignorant mouth shut.

I agree with @Trala, taking liberties with elderly people's votes is uncool and unethical. Although I have no doubt quite a few people will have done so (voting either way). Who's to say grandma wouldn't vote yes anyway? Shouldn't she be allowed to have her say?

If my (91yo) Dad was Australian I would think he'd have voted yes. But as he's in NZ it's not even a hypothetical I would put to him. It's difficult enough having a phone conversation with the deaf old boy on the phone as it is without getting into politics.

Completely agree with this talk of elderly people, absolutely they deserve to have a say just like anyone does. No doubt if someone committed electoral fraud and voted No on their elderly relatives behalf there would be outrage, so really it's the same.

I myself could die tomorrow but I'd still like to have a say for the world that will remain afterwards and the type of world I'd like my son to grow up in.

To be honest, I'm so glad this is nearly over, I'm finding the whole thing physically and emotionally draining, but if the result is not Yes then it's not really over.

I'm finding the whole thing physically and emotionally draining, but if the result is not Yes then it's not really over.
oh I hear ya.

If the result is No, the issue will be resuscitated at the next election. If the result is Yes, the government will do everything they can to delay/filibuster it. Either way it's not going to be over on 15 November by any stretch, unfortunately.

This might be worth sharing elsewhere:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...ot-too-late-to-return-forms-in-person/9114972

Victorians only have till Monday to hand in their forms, Tuesday everywhere else. Offices close at 4:30pm.

Drop-off locations:
  • ABS Canberra Office (ABS House)
    Ground Floor, 45 Benjamin Way, Belconnen, ACT
  • ABS Sydney Office
    Level 8, 44 Market Street, Sydney, NSW
  • ABS Darwin Office (Jacana House)
    39-41 Woods Street, Darwin, NT
  • ABS Brisbane Office
    295 Ann Street, Brisbane City, QLD
  • ABS Adelaide Office
    Level 9, ANZ House 11 Waymouth Street, Adelaide, SA
  • ABS Hobart Office
    200 Collins Street, Hobart, TAS
  • ABS Melbourne Office
    Level 3, 818 Bourke Street, Docklands, VIC
  • ABS Geelong Office
    Level 2, 12 Gheringhap Street, Geelong, VIC
  • ABS Perth Office
    Level 1, The Durack Centre, 263 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, WA

The Australian Bureau of Statisticshave released their final update of the same-sex marriage postal survey ahead of the result being announced next Wednesday, with the latest tally standing at a truly epic 12.6 million returned votes.

Big-deal-gif.gif

‘Tis a bit of big deal tbh, as it accounts for 78.5 percent of eligible votes, which for a non-compulsory survey conducted by the fucking mail of all things, is quite simply a huge number.

Back