Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

Who's going to tip a result?

I'll go out on a limb with 67% Yes - 33% No.

67% feels high, but even then that's still 1 in 3 people voting no. Yes has reached 68-70% in half a dozen or more polls in the past few years (but that was without being polled in the midst of an ugly campaign).

I am thinking it will be a lot closer than what a lot of people think.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a 47% - 53% either way...

Do we know how the outcome is going to be announced?

I'm too scared to predict an outcome. I don't want to jinx anything

Reactions: kxk
Do we know how the outcome is going to be announced?

I'm too scared to predict an outcome. I don't want to jinx anything

SBS will be showing the result live:

SBS World News: Same Sex Marriage Survey Result
Join SBS World News for live coverage of the Same Sex Marriage Postal Survey result. (15 mins)

Wednesday November 15
9:55am NSW, ACT, Vic, Tas
9:25am SA
8:55am Qld
8:25am NT
6:55am WA

I assume the other channels will be as well during their morning shows.

The ABC will have live coverage as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-07/ssm-response-update-is-same-sex-marriage-a-thing-yet/9126186

On Wednesday, November 15, the ABS will release results on the marriage survey website.

The information will include the number of Yes and No voters at national, state and federal electorate level, as well as turnout figures for different age groups.

The ABS has ruled out providing the results via email in case the website is unavailable.

During last year's census, the website collecting responses was taken down following technical difficulties.

The ABC will also be providing live coverage of the survey result and the ABS press conference on all of its platforms.

Interesting...
I’m a bit removed from it all over here. But it does seem to be waaaaay less of a contentious issue....

I can see both sides. I declined to use my vote. Parly bc it would have probably meant a small
Battle with her tambourine.....

Interesting...
I’m a bit removed from it all over here. But it does seem to be waaaaay less of a contentious issue....

I can see both sides. I declined to use my vote. Parly bc it would have probably meant a small

Mooseface. I wasn't going to say anything, as people are entitled to vote (or not) the way they want to so I'm not questioning that bit.
Curiosity keeps bringing me back though. What do you see as "both sides", and what does the last bit mean?

Reactions: kxk
Interesting...

Sad about this MF
Who has a tambourine????

And since you reside where you have the benefit of equality already, your fence sitting is truly sad

01Germany5-superJumbo.jpg

June 2017

I just mean I can see that the original traditional definition of ‘marriage’ is one from each gender. I don’t find that particularly wierd. I can also understand that not everyone is heterosexual. So...

I just mean I can see that the original traditional definition of ‘marriage’ is one from each gender. I don’t find that particularly wierd. I can also understand that not everyone is heterosexual. So...

definitions change though

I think the YES campaign should have pointed out the legal reasons why it should happen, next of kin issues, children's welfare if something happens to one of the parents, property issues. I don't think many care to be married in a church, just to have the same legal recognition as others do.

definitions change though
Yes, they can, and I’m fine with that too. Maybe I should have voted, I dont know.
What I dont understand exactly is why there seems to be SUCH savageness about it. Or ... that’s the impression I have from: reading The Age, reading the ABC website and This website.

Yes, they can, and I’m fine with that too. Maybe I should have voted, I dont know.
What I dont understand exactly is why there seems to be SUCH savageness about it. Or ... that’s the impression I have from: reading The Age, reading the ABC website and This website.
There has definitely been some savageness in the arguments which has been distressing for many... and from both sides too. There has also been a lot of unnecessary discussions about irrelevant arguments, such as safe schools program and same sex couples having families. I got the impression quite often that some no voters thought that if no won that gay people would all the sudden no longer exist.

Nothing wrong with not voting because you're unsure which way sits right with you. Not voting because you CBF is childish imo.
There is such savageness because some don't like change, and some insist on it.
To quote George Bernard Shaw:
You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'

Back