Skip to main content

The Four New Housemates(?) Revealed. Young. Predictable.

The house this year has had people with the following cultural background:

Maori/Polynesian/NZ
Canadian
Russian
Greek
Italian
Indian
Australian
Irish
Malaysian (I think sorry have not really paid too much attention to where The soul powerplayer was from)

I think that's is pretty representative of reality. No we don't have any aboriginal or African backgrounds this year that we have been made aware of but not all people with those backgrounds have dark skin so I don't actually presume that is the case.

Culture diversity is about more than skin colour
Cultural diversity IS about more than skin colour, but representation is very much about skin colour.

There's no use throwing someone like.. I think her name is Lina? in and saying it counts as diversity because she was born in China, because her look is already accounted for in every other person on tv, you know?
No one feels comforted by her presence, no Chinese person is looking at her and saying "She's encountered the same struggles as me, what a relief to see a face like my own on tv."
The problem with saying cultural diversity is about more than skin colour is it gives producers permission to seek out people with a different background who are still very much the same as every other white person on tv.

And Lina has an interesting story, of course, and undoubtedly she's had her own struggles. I'm sure she'll make a great addition to the house. But we can't encourage or accept that as the extent of representation.

Just my two cents. :biggrin:

A survivor of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre, Lina was the first Western baby to be born in the Nanjing Hospital, China.

Growing up in China as a mixed-blood kid, very rare at the time, she saw herself as 100% Chinese but was treated by others as different. The public curiosity surrounding Lina caused her parents to move to Australia to have a normal childhood, however to this day she still feels at home in China.

http://www.jump-in.com.au/show/bigbrother/2014/housemates/lina/lina-article/

How did she survive the massacre? I don't understand. Was she there as a child with her family?

How did she survive the massacre? I don't understand. Was she there as a child with her family?
I think so. I'm not sure really. She would've been a preschooler and she said tonight that they moved after that so I'm not sure what the deal is. If I were in Phuket at the time of the tsunami would I be considered a survivor of the tsunami or would I have had actually been in danger to be considered a survivor? Hard to say when a media dept gets a hold old of things.

For me the interesting part was the reference to her being mixed-blood and the fact she considered herself 100% Chinese. So one of her parents is Chinese and she in turn is representative of the MANY kids today in Australia who have one Asian and one Anglo parent. Not that any of that matters as I agree with the person who said either in here or elsewhere that I prefer BB not try to just cast people based on ticking some diversity box but with such a large Asian population in Australia and then a mixed Asian population, Lina actually is a sign of what Australia looks like. In fact I think this might be one of the most ethnically diverse seasons BBAU has ever had.

The house this year has had people with the following cultural background:

Maori/Polynesian/NZ
Canadian
Russian
Greek
Italian
Indian
Australian
Irish
Malaysian (I think sorry have not really paid too much attention to where The soul powerplayer was from)

I think that's is pretty representative of reality. No we don't have any aboriginal or African backgrounds this year that we have been made aware of but not all people with those backgrounds have dark skin so I don't actually presume that is the case.

Culture diversity is about more than skin colour
Jason's mother is Persian and isn't his father German or Dutch or something?

Oh, shit, I didn't realise Lina was Chinese until I saw that article.
Poor form, Kndl.
Why would they call her chinese born and not chinese?

I'm pretty surprised that channel NINE is the channel that's like alright I guess we can have more than one person of colour in the season.
It's just a shame they fucked literally everything else up.

Forgive me if this has already been said, but I have realised these 4 are the reason why BB tempted Aisha & Travis with $50,000. They needed to remove a few before bringing in more. That didn't work and there's too many HMs now.

Forgive me if this has already been said, but I have realised these 4 are the reason why BB tempted Aisha & Travis with $50,000. They needed to remove a few before bringing in more. That didn't work and there's too many HMs now.
And this is why they were very stupid not to take the money. That was their best chance to leave with substantial money.

I think big brother is going to keep making Travis and Aisha look bad, until they are gone.

What's with the current housemates - especially David and Lawson - continuously asking people - including the new intruders last night - what their hidden secret is, who do they really hate, which one is playing the game.

It's just nasty, uninteresting, questioning. How about some mystery? Once it's all out there, the show is boring.

I think so. I'm not sure really. She would've been a preschooler and she said tonight that they moved after that so I'm not sure what the deal is.

She is 25 years old, Tiananmen Square protests happened 25 years ago. (April 15, 1989 – June 4, 1989)

Back