Skip to main content

The Four New Housemates(?) Revealed. Young. Predictable.

you white? what chu talkin bout willis? i'm calling it for what it is. White people winning the show and saying everyone white. Of course there should be white people on the show, i never said there shouldn't. ostracized? pffttt. White people have never been ostracised ever in history, that's just bullshit. People of a different colour have always been ostracised so don't go defending something that has never even needed defending. There should be black people, asian people, different ages, different weight as 1. We are a diverse country just like every other country(majority) is. 2. We have a lot of different sizes of people, not everyone is stick thin like skye or tank as like travis. 3. Australia is viewed to other countries as being bogan and racist and the housemates we have this year don't really help change that fact. 4. I don't think it's necessary defending white people when everyone is okay with white people and they have never been excluded or ostracised in history. The exclusion of black people goes way back as well as people with a non-white race, so yeah. I believe I'm right. No one really can be criticised for being white.

I'm the racist one now? of course they say this.

You obviously have no idea what racism is..

You can think you are not but you clearly are being a racist.

The house this year has had people with the following cultural background:

Maori/Polynesian/NZ
Canadian
Russian
Greek
Italian
Indian
Australian
Irish
Malaysian (I think sorry have not really paid too much attention to where The soul powerplayer was from)

I think that's is pretty representative of reality. No we don't have any aboriginal or African backgrounds this year that we have been made aware of but not all people with those backgrounds have dark skin so I don't actually presume that is the case.

Culture diversity is about more than skin colour

Maori/Polynesian/NZ
Canadian
Russian
Greek
Italian
Indian
Australian
Irish
Malaysian (I think sorry have not really paid too much attention to where The soul powerplayer was from)

I think that's is pretty representative of reality. No we don't have any aboriginal or African backgrounds this year that we have been made aware of but not all people with those backgrounds have dark skin so I don't actually presume that is the case.

Who cares? and how many Africans or Aboriginals applied to join big brother? I am guessing not a lot.

you white? what chu talkin bout willis? i'm calling it for what it is. White people winning the show and saying everyone white. Of course there should be white people on the show, i never said there shouldn't. ostracized? pffttt. White people have never been ostracised ever in history, that's just bullshit. People of a different colour have always been ostracised so don't go defending something that has never even needed defending. There should be black people, asian people, different ages, different weight as 1. We are a diverse country just like every other country(majority) is. 2. We have a lot of different sizes of people, not everyone is stick thin like skye or tank as like travis. 3. Australia is viewed to other countries as being bogan and racist and the housemates we have this year don't really help change that fact. 4. I don't think it's necessary defending white people when everyone is okay with white people and they have never been excluded or ostracised in history. The exclusion of black people goes way back as well as people with a non-white race, so yeah. I believe I'm right. No one really can be criticised for being white.

So, the people you potentially identify as white have NOT been ostracised in history? Or, perhaps even more specifically, Australian history? Gleaning from your message that you believe Travis is white and that he (or more likely) his ancestors have not experienced racism, or ostracism in Australia, I wonder what many pre and post World War 2 Italian migrants would say in response to that? Letalone Lebanese and Greek immigrants who also faced similar treatment. They may have white skin to your eye, but they have also faced great prejudice and injustice here in Australia for being perceived as different.

Arthur Calwell, architect of the first wave of post-World War II *immigration, was committed to maintaining this pattern, assuring the public that ‘for every foreign migrant there would be ten from the United Kingdom.’
http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/interventions/migrants.htm

Maori/Polynesian/NZ
Canadian
Russian
Greek
Italian
Indian
Australian
Irish

Years ago, I had a rather life changing experience working at the Immigration Museum in Melbourne. Asked by one of the education officers what my migration story was, I said (perhaps without thinking) 'Oh, I'm Australian'. My ancestors have been in Australia for five or more generations and I have no real cultural identity aside from that. The education officer replied 'No, everyone had a migration story, you included, the only people who do not, are Koorie people'.

It took a while to think this through and also my Dad started to research our own history, to understand this concept. I've since worked with some Koorie elders on another project and have to agree, we may all be Australian in present tense, but in terms of cultural identifiers and heritage, we do have a history and culture separate to being part of this country and we are not Australian in terms of ethnicity. It's a bit of a slippery slope of an argument, but one I have come to terms with more than I expected to.

I guess it's about acknowledging our own culture, but also the people who inhabited Australia freely before English settlement. I personally have felt culturally bereft at times, as an artist painting the Australian landscape, the way I see it may be the way a Koorie artist would also see it (to some extent) but I personally feel like the spiritual connection and sense of belonging Koorie people have with land is vastly different to mine as an immigrant and 'white' person of German / French / English ancestry.

So, the people you potentially identify as white have NOT been ostracised in history? Or, perhaps even more specifically, Australian history? Gleaning from your message that you believe Travis is white and that he (or more likely) his ancestors have not experienced racism, or ostracism in Australia, I wonder what many pre and post World War 2 Italian migrants would say in response to that? Letalone Lebanese and Greek immigrants who also faced similar treatment. They may have white skin to your eye, but they have also faced great prejudice and injustice here in Australia for being perceived as different.

http://www.anu.edu.au/polsci/marx/interventions/migrants.htm

Years ago, I had a rather life changing experience working at the Immigration Museum in Melbourne. Asked by one of the education officers what my migration story was, I said (perhaps without thinking) 'Oh, I'm Australian'. My ancestors have been in Australia for five or more generations and I have no real cultural identity aside from that. The education officer replied 'No, everyone had a migration story, you included, the only people who do not, are Koorie people'.

It took a while to think this through and also my Dad started to research our own history, to understand this concept. I've since worked with some Koorie elders on another project and have to agree, we may all be Australian in present tense, but in terms of cultural identifiers and heritage, we do have a history and culture separate to being part of this country and we are not Australian in terms of ethnicity. It's a bit of a slippery slope of an argument, but one I have come to terms with more than I expected to.

I guess it's about acknowledging our own culture, but also the people who inhabited Australia freely before English settlement. I personally have felt culturally bereft at times, as an artist painting the Australian landscape, the way I see it may be the way a Koorie artist would also see it (to some extent) but I personally feel like the spiritual connection and sense of belonging Koorie people have with land is vastly different to mine as an immigrant and 'white' person of German / French / English ancestry.

I'm a kiwi now living in Australia... sometimes it is hard to know how people like to refer to themselves, so I wasn't sure whether to include Australian on that list. Kiwis are the same in that all inhabitants came from somewhere else to NZ originally (including Maori). I personally like to think of myself as Kiwi, because I have never been to Ireland or Scotland where my ancestors are from, to feel that connection.

Thanks for that insight and story though. Culture is a complex thing.

Meh, my mother was teased, shunned and ostracized in the 1940s in Australia for being an "I- Ti" (Italian) just because she looked like one. Irony was that she had NO Italian blood in her at all. She was half Burmese and half Russian.

I'm a kiwi now living in Australia... sometimes it is hard to know how people like to refer to themselves, so I wasn't sure whether to include Australian on that list. Kiwis are the same in that all inhabitants came from somewhere else to NZ originally (including Maori). I personally like to think of myself as Kiwi, because I have never been to Ireland or Scotland where my ancestors are from, to feel that connection.

Thanks for that insight and story though. Culture is a complex thing.

I agree Isee. I should also say my post was more musing on what it is to be Australian than singling out your use of the word. I think being born in Australia or New Zealand and of non-Indigenous heritage is a really tricky one, it's hard to create an identity and belonging sometimes. I've not been to Germany, France or England either, so I totally get what you are saying about identity being where you feel the connection!

Who cares? and how many Africans or Aboriginals applied to join big brother? I am guessing not a lot.
What's that got to do with it? I don't think ANY of them actually auditioned without being asked to this year, they were all hand bloody picked.

Back