Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

I hate that style of Aussie comedy. Glad others pick up on it. I've sometimes mentioned it to people and they never seem to know what I am talking about.

"Remember when you were a kid and..."

*Eruption of laughter*

"... and they had those things where..."

*laughing turns hysterical*

"those t-shirts that changed colour, like you know in the heat."

*laughing continues and subdues before someone changes the subject and everyone starts laughing again."

It's a style of comedy to cover up that there may not be any. I don't understand how people enjoy it unless they just have a pavlovian response to laugh because they recognise "jokes" and "funny" is being said. Even if it is not.
Yessssssssss! LOL that is exactly it :thumbsup: :D
:joyful:

…I love ’Would I Lie To You’ from the UK so if the Aussie version is half as good it should be great!… it’s as good as ‘8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown’… I love that show… very funny indeed… cheers.

WILTY is my favourite show, I watch any series if I feel sad, always cheers me up, and it is so freely available
Very early series has a different host
10 produce this type of entertainment so well, and previews look great
I hope they recruit some weirdos like UK, some fantastic eccentrics I love on UK
German guy Henning something or other, and Bob Mortimer my faves

I pretty much watch 10/ABC/SBS....
And detest 9, avoided as much as possible, just some sport events like tennis
7 is only slightly better

As tvtonight has pointed out, regardless of 10s rating woes, they can operate profitably anyway
because 10 costs are not even close to the excessive costs of 9&7

I don’t mind the Project, but it is an add on to real news on ABC/SBS....and international news services that start around 4 or 5 am, news addict that’s me

10 I have a great affection for, it feels local, and has catered to my tastes more always, as a kid, teen, adult

My 14 year old friends an I used to hang out in the Nunawading studios Saturday mornings
To gawk at pop stars
They let us hang out in the cafeteria as long as we behaved

I notice and like how 10 likes to interact and associate with ABC/SBS
They regularly have guests from those broadcasters on their shows

I like that 10 tries to innovate, try new shows
And they just do not feel creepy and sexist like the extremely gross 9
7 has always felt kind of daggy, and cheap

I like that 10 tries to innovate, try new shows
And they just do not feel creepy and sexist like the extremely gross 9
7 has always felt kind of daggy, and cheap
Nine has always come across as so old school, conservative and arrogant. They take themselves far too seriously. And nothing said more about them than "Stillll the onnnne" which just made them seem like such wankers. So I was quite happy when Seven took the crown, just so that smugness would finally leave our screens. Nine is way overdue for a rebranding. It was so stupid when they actually tried it but got it so wrong. Instead of reworking the dots and dropping the ugly square 9, they did the opposite and dumped the dots! And it was such a disaster they reverted back to the old logo, which I thought was hilarious.

Seven, at least, had a brilliant rebranding in the lead up to the 2000 Olympics. The new logo was sharp and fresh, and the creative/graphics team came up with some very eye catching idents. Seven's had some great shows. I loved My Restaurant Rules and wish the concept hadn't been kind of unsustainable in the long run. Watching the contestants literally build their restaurants from scratch, hire staff was fascinating, and then the fact that these were real restaurants that the viewing audience could go and eat at them was just cool. Spinning that off into MKR and House Rules wasn't the same but you can't blame them for trying, and both of those shows were huge for them. So yeah, I rate Seven pretty highly, but mostly in a historical sense.

And then there's 10, which still feels like the younger sibling even now. Less afraid to take risks or push the envelope, they remind me of TV3 in NZ. The rebranding from Ten to 10 I can understand, even though I still miss the old Ten logo. It looked slick and professional, but in a more conservative way, whereas the 10 looks younger, more casual, and really was probably designed to sit alongside their sub-brands more comfortably (10play, 10bold, 10peach, whatever). Programming-wise there's only two words to be said: Big Brother. But I also really enjoyed some of their reality duds like The Resort and The Hot House. It really is a shame it seems so hard to pull in viewers who are rusted-on to Seven and Nine.

@kxk you're so lucky to have been able to hang out at a TV station. I'd have killed to have been able to do that in my teens. My town only had a radio station. If we'd had a TV station I'm sure I would have gone for some work experience and explored working in that area. Later when I lived in Auckland and was studying interior design we did a trip to visit the studios where they taped Shortland Street. And that was as close as I got to a career in TV. I should have tried harder when I was younger.

Reacher on PrimeVideo is quite good. It's a fairly faithful adaptation of the Jack Reacher books. This time it's played by a giant dude, like in the books and not Tom Cruise.

Reactions: kxk
Hey @timmy ....tv stations, I have visited a few, channel 31, community vic tv the most fascinating.

At the time, they had a studio above shops in Bourke st, city of Melb.
It was hilarious, they had to pause filming when trams ran by, not being noise proof

If you are ever in Melbourne you can volunteer there and learn how to do whatever.

In Tassie got to see how kids show was produced
And in Perth channel 9, Alan bond days. Prick bought the magazines I worked for then
It was horrible, like fortress, security overkill....WTF you had no ideas to steal
Arsehole threw away our mags as a tax dodge😪

Most surprising thing is how small it all was, some sets are like the corner of your living room

OMG.....Killing Eve......
I kept missing the beginning on abc, and it has taken me years to grab this masterpiece
On repeat at the moment, missed the first 3 eps, leapt in anyway...signed up to Stan to get
all of it...best thing I have seen in years

Oh look Jen lopez has made a MAFS movie, such a hustler that one, not very talented, very pretty tho

.tv stations, I have visited a few, channel 31, community vic tv the most fascinating.

At the time, they had a studio above shops in Bourke st, city of Melb.
It was hilarious, they had to pause filming when trams ran by, not being noise proof
Just before I left Auckland for Sydney, I'd been involved with a group called Triangle Television, who were angling to pick up a licence as an LGBT community channel in Auckland. Within a couple of years they did start up a broad-based community station (i.e. not just LGBT) which later went nationwide. Apparently they became a victim of their own success, because as their audience grew, their transmission fees on Freeview got hiked. Anyway they relaunched as FACE in 2012 and seem to still be going. If I'd stayed in Auckland that would have been my best opportunity to get into it.

Oh dear about Nine Perth though. Seems like the worst time for you to have worked there.

Actually when I was about eight we went on a tour of TV1's Avalon studios in Wellington. And post-2000 I went to a couple of tapings of The Glass House (remember that?) at ABC in Sydney, and also an ep of The Living Room at Ten. So over the years I've had quite a number little glimpses of it all but never bit the bullet.

The Glasshouse was awesome, the last time Dave Hughes was actually funny

I am hoping 10 can serve us up some similar eccentrics, for WILTY
that show picked great funny weirdo people from everywhere
Favourites being Dr Cindy Pan, think that’s her name
And some very odd old rockstars, names forgotten, one very stoned guy with wild hair

I have not done the audience option, hope to do so once Covid is a nasty memory

With the return of Dancing With The Stars, what are you going to prioritise tonight?
I think I might watch it live, then catch up on Survivor, and save MAFS for another time.

With the return of Dancing With The Stars, what are you going to prioritise tonight?
I think I might watch it live, then catch up on Survivor, and save MAFS for another time.
I went with MAFS first...and then DWTS...and Survivor later...purely a timing thing. Settled in to watch DWTS...my first clue should have been when Daryl said welcome to DWTS 2021! But I thought ok it was filmed in 2021 and shown in 2022...I even checked the broadcast date and yep it was 20 Feb 2022. BUT then I started suffering from severe deja vu! I saw these people last year...didn't I? I'm sure I did? Maybe I didn't? Maybe they are recycling the same people? 30 mins in...nah I can't watch this...I KNOW I've seen it all before! Checked 7Plus again...and guess what? A different episode was put up for 20 Feb 2022! I feel SO stupid!

Good, no great weekend ahead...
Saturday Eurovision: Australia decides our entry
Sunday....just 2 more sleeps, Killing Eve final season, OMG,
I am utterly obsessed with the ultimate obsession show ever

I cannot get enough Killing Eve.....been binge watching 1-3, over and over, and any extras I can find
I watch it every night, it is magnificent, pick up something new each view, even panders to my haute couture interest

The only other entertainment I can watch over again and again...Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings...and sometimes some Harry Potter
But KE is currently way ahead
Is nobody else invested in KE? It is even free on ABC....

Loved the first series of Killing Eve but bailed quite early in the second. Jodie Comer though is a national treasure in the making - she was just superb in the pandemic film "Help" which aired last year, especially in the 26-minute one take scene.

I have been trying to find “Help”....looks heartbreaking but fascinating.
Jodie Comer is, as you say, quite the spectacular young woman talent, still only in her 20s

Re Killing Eve: May have helped me that I watched 1-3 all in one big gulp, I love 3 the best I think
And, I had waited so long to finally catch up

Both the leads are superb, very layered and subtle performances, all the cast are awesome
Villanelle soft moments are rather heartbreaking

The entire project I find very satisfying being a female and feminist, so female dominated in every way feels rather wonderful..
But I could have kept watching just for the fashion

Another TV recommendation.

Alex Rider on Prime.

Another fantastic show that was completely off my radar. I think I knew it existed but discounted it, thinking it was young adult crap for kids. Which it is not. It's a solid spy thriller series. It just happens to have a non-adult main character.

It's based on a successful, long-running series of novels. Not sure where it goes, but it starts off with a 16 year old who ends up getting involved and working as a spy for MI6.

Really enjoyed discovering this one and will finish season 2 tonight. A third season is likely but not confirmed as of yet. S2 is only a few months old.

Just another show that is great, yet I simply had never heard anyone anywhere mention or recommend it. I only checked it out because it was mentioned on a recent episode of the podcast James Bond and Friends. Yes, I listen to James Bond based podcasts. It's great, I recommend it.

Back