Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

Did anyone else find the conclusion of SAS Australia a disappointment?

Not the episode itself, or the celebrities, who I thought were a great cast this year.

But the way they were randomly eliminated just so that only one of them could be crowned the 'winner'.

All five of the finalists did everything that was asked of them, and as far as I could tell completed the SAS selection course.

So then the officers decided to eliminate them anyway, for random and petty reasons.

I know it's just a tv show, but it didn't deliver what it promised for the participants, who didn't deserve to be treated so poorly.
I mean REALLY, the last we saw of a Home & Away actor was when one of the officers said "get this piece of shit out of here".
That will do wonders for his already delicate mental health, I'm sure.

This gives me great hope that when they finally do Idol, they are going to do it right!!

Australian Idol
“We’re not going to make COVID-compromised shows because we see what happens when they get made in many overseas markets, and they don’t perform. So if we’re going to bring back Idol, it has to be the Idol that people are expecting: crowds, live, bigger than Ben Hur, and that’s what we’re going to do. So the conditions have to be appropriate for that to happen. That that will determine the timing on it. But clearly, it’s not going to be Q1. We would had to have been in production for a number of months already.”

What is the version of SAS starting next week, a non-celebrity version?
If so I'm not really interested, it's the celebrities rather than the format that makes it interesting.
Otherwise it's just randoms shouting.

I watched the first ep of Making It. It's the same format as MasterChef and Lego Masters. The hosts are just not funny and I thought the whole show kinda falls flat. I won't be watching again. Did anyone like it?
According to 10's 2022 Up Fronts, Making It has been dumped.

So Making It didn’t. I was looking through the 10 upfront trying to think what was missing, didn’t notice.

So Making It didn’t. I was looking through the 10 upfront trying to think what was missing, didn’t notice.
"the axe has fallen on Making It Australia and Hughesy We Have a Problem while decisions linger for Bondi Rescue, The Cube, Territory Cops, How to Stay Married."

I won't lose any sleep over Hughesy, either.

Well, The Project only appeals to far left activists. Glad people are waking up and tuning out of that trash.

Does anyone watch anything on channel 10 these days? LOL! Seriously they need to try and snatch Big Brother back from channel 7 one day and try and bring it back to it's glory days, all the other shows on 10 can just get ditched no one will miss them...lol ;)

I watch a few things on channel 10, nothing I'd be proud to admit to mind you, apart for The Dog House.

Well, The Project only appeals to far left activists. Glad people are waking up and tuning out of that trash.
I hate the Project. As soon as someone open his/her mouth a little, the rest already start laughing, as if everything is so funny, they are having such a good time they want you to believe. O_O I don't know who they are addressing themselves to, not me for sure. The only show I watch on C10 is Survivor. BB on C10 was the real BB, I miss that.
BBUK is good too. I finished watching all the BBUK :confused: I wanted to start on the BBCAN but I can't get it online :(

I don't think 10 would risk moving The Project considering all the difficulty they had a 6pm, ultimately just giving it back to the news. They've certainly no interest in bringing Neighbours back to the main channel, so the only thing I could see working there is perhaps a game show, but given they couldn't get one to fly at 6pm I'm not sure they would at 6.30pm.

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of Rob Mcknight's mouth, he has held a grudge against 10 since they fired him.

And as the channel 10 person states its ridiculous to compare ratings from 10-20 years ago.

Reactions: kxk
I hate the Project. As soon as someone open his/her mouth a little, the rest already start laughing, as if everything is so funny, they are having such a good time they want you to believe. O_O I don't know who they are addressing themselves to, not me for sure.

I hate that style of Aussie comedy. Glad others pick up on it. I've sometimes mentioned it to people and they never seem to know what I am talking about.

"Remember when you were a kid and..."

*Eruption of laughter*

"... and they had those things where..."

*laughing turns hysterical*

"those t-shirts that changed colour, like you know in the heat."

*laughing continues and subdues before someone changes the subject and everyone starts laughing again."

It's a style of comedy to cover up that there may not be any. I don't understand how people enjoy it unless they just have a pavlovian response to laugh because they recognise "jokes" and "funny" is being said. Even if it is not.

Last edited:
I don't mind The Project, but ofc can't watch 10 from here so haven't seen it for years.

I liked The Panel back in the day, with Tom Gleisner, Rob Sitch, Kate Langbroek, Santo Cilauro. Did Rove basically steal their format? Just make it younger or sillier or something?

I don't mind The Project, but ofc can't watch 10 from here so haven't seen it for years.

I liked The Panel back in the day, with Tom Gleisner, Rob Sitch, Kate Langbroek, Santo Cilauro. Did Rove basically steal their format? Just make it younger or sillier or something?

I haven't watched The Project in years. I maybe flick over to it once or twice a year to see if anything interesting on it. I don't think it's a show for anyone who is informed or made by people particularly informed.

I'm sure the majority of it is fine, but all too often there'd be a slickly produced package of someone explaining what opinion you should have on a topic. Yet it was completely cherry-picked and missing relevant information. So it was misleading and worthless. It felt like they had the opinion, then just cherry-picked arguments to make it. As opposed to any proper investigation, research or effort to even see if it was correct.

I liked and watched The Panel.

I am sure in the pitch for The Project, it was something like, "A more structured, more produced journalistic/news version of The Panel." The Panel was way looser and didn't have produced news segments. More just people talking about stuff, reading off paper, throwing to clips.

You can see elements of it has made its way into other Working Dog productions like Have You Been Paying Attention and The Cheap Seats.

HYBPA is always entertaining and funny. I'm guessing you don't know The Cheap Seats since it's new this year. Two comedians basically going through the news/events of the week with short amusing clips and jokes. With segments where they'll bring on someone to do it about Entertainment or Sport etc. I guarantee there'd be a bunch of people who can't stand the show though.

As for Rove stealing. There's a lot of borrowing with TV formats. Although I remember when Rove stole Graham Norton's format with his chatshow on Foxtel. Rove and three guests on a couch. The reason this format works great on Graham's show is that it allows the guests to interact and conversations to organically flow in new and unplanned ways. Very natural and relaxed.

Not for Rove. As soon as that started happening, Rove would jump in to prevent it. It was bad. You'd have situations where guests have a back and forth, some rapport . You'd literally have a guest volunteer an anecdote/story in response to this organic chat and Rover would almost immediately cut them off to get back to his planned questions. Which would immediately kill the vibe and you'd get the guests looking annoyed and confused as to why Rove did that.

Bunch of self-proclaimed semi-intellectuals basking in their vainglorious brainpower and humour. Hard pass from me.
And its not even natural comaraderie or rythmn. Its all so forced. The pre-guffaw before an anecdote as someone mentioned above.
It actually offfers nothing except a sad showcasing of egoes desperate to remain in some kind of limelight.

Back