Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

I'm kicking myself for not watching it way back when. Now following the threads here and on Whirlpool as I go. But it's a bit late to participate now😂

Just started S5, there was a terrible ep where they finally killed off the useless Tyreese, but it took like 15 minutes of delusions of dead characters to get there. Good grief, talk about padding it out. Rick now looks like a hobo with Frasier Crane's hair, so I'm really hoping they meet a barber or at least happen upon a pair of scissors and/or razor soon. Zombies are so tedious and killing them is barely a sport, but I suppose it's a way for them to keep fit with all the gyms closed. Oh and thank dog Beth is dead. If only they could get rid of some of the other extraneous characters like the Minister, Abraham, Eugene and even Sasha. I guess their time will come soon.
Oh yeah I remember the slimy Rick era… confronting viewing.

Oh dog, The Walking Dead keeps going, and going.. One of the torrents was entitled "The Walking Dead Complete S01-S07" and I was halfway through S7 thinking "nearly there" only to then find out there were THREE more seasons FFS. S7 was bad enough and S8 is even worse. There is the highlight of Corl (Carl) finally being killed off, so that was satisfying, dragged out as it was, like everything else. Ridiculous bad guy (Negan) and equally absurd good guy ("King" Ezekiel). Comic book origins really coming to the fore here, to the show's detriment. Gonna see it through to the end and watch Fear The Living Dead after that. Because, why not. Glutton for punishment here. Much like watching Big Brother on Seven.

^I should probably add that Negan and the Saviors were terrorists. Reading through the Whirlpool threads and haven't seen anyone touch on this (but I've been skimming through them because there'd be like 20+ pages of new ep chat followed another 40+ pages quibbling about various minutiae, for every single episode. Hugely popular show at the time). They literally terrorised the communities into handing over half or more of their food etc and had them out scavenging for fear of their lives. Anyway I've just wrapped up S8 and Negan is now being locked up. Was obvious that Eugene would finally come around and rig the ammunition so that didn't come as the huge surprise the writers probably expected.

Anyway looking forward to new baddies. Obviously they just can't settle down again living The Good Life.

Oh dog, it just goes on and on...

Today's rant is actors with bad accents. Now I do appreciate that the actor who plays Rick (Andrew Lincoln) is English and does a sterling job. He's very convincing and I score him 9/10. But then there's Alpha (Samantha Morton). She has the worst Southern accent I've ever heard. From the moment she started speaking I knew she wasn't American. It was so bad I started muting it and using the subtitles instead. What were they thinking casting her? Abysmal. 1/10. And also Tomi (Ian Anthony Dale). This is the reverse, an American doing a bad English accent. Look it's almost passable but I still picked it up right away. 7/10.

Just needed to get that off my chest. Carry on.

(ETA I just googled it and I'm far from alone)
1689852827698.png

Last edited:
The winner of Dancing With The Stars was the most boring one possible.
(I won't post who in case people haven't watched their recordings yet).
They were competent, but I never had them down as a frontrunner, and didn't even notice them until they were suddenly in the top six.

Well if anyone still hasn't blocked me, I finally finished TWD. Season 11 picked up quite well in the second half. Writing out some of the main characters from the show really hurt the series though. And by not killing them off, you never knew if they would turn up again, which is a bit of a shit way to treat viewers. Need to start on ST Strange New Worlds S2 next. And then I might give Fear The Walking Dead spin-off a shot after that.

I think the plan was for Rick TV movies or mini-series but the pandemic stuffed all that up. I think he's coming back in one of the spin-off shows or something. Hell for all I know he did come back. I should watch the final season.

SNW s2 is entertaining but a letdown after season one. A little bit too gimmicky episodes and not as good serious premise ST episodes. I think there was some issue where the series was being written and made before season 1 aired. So they didn't know what people responded to.

I think the plan was for Rick TV movies or mini-series but the pandemic stuffed all that up. I think he's coming back in one of the spin-off shows or something. Hell for all I know he did come back. I should watch the final season.

SNW s2 is entertaining but a letdown after season one. A little bit too gimmicky episodes and not as good serious premise ST episodes. I think there was some issue where the series was being written and made before season 1 aired. So they didn't know what people responded to.

I've watched the first ep of SNW S2, but then couldn't resist but give FTWD a look. Made it through the first season, but damn why isn't there a single likeable character? Whole awful family and I'm confused who I'm supposed to be rooting for. The zombies?

Oh btw Rick and Michonne did make guest appearances in the finale, but the whole thing with him being taken off in a chopper never got properly fleshed out, and honestly that would have presented the writers with lots of opportunities. Maybe it happened in one of the other spinoffs? Wikipedia

Last edited:
then couldn't resist but give FTWD a look. Made it through the first season, but damn why isn't there a single likeable character? Whole awful family and I'm confused who I'm supposed to be rooting for. The zombies?

I never watch FTW. I think it's meant to be ok, then after a couple seasons get good, then go back to not being great.

I never watch FTW. I think it's meant to be ok, then after a couple seasons get good, then go back to not being great.

The premise is good: to see what was happening (be it in LA) at the time Rick was in his coma for that month at the start of TWD.

The latest Marvel show, "Secret Invasion" was a waste of time. Like most of the current batch of Marvel shows.

Silo on Apple TV+ was really good.

Hijack also on Apple TV+ which has its last episode airing next week is also really good. I'm enjoying that each week it has me on the edge of my seat, but it'll probably be even better to just binge the 7 episodes when it's done.

No thread it seems this year but I've always thought with the UK version that Hunted has one of the most thrilling finals in reality TV, and the Aussie version is no exception too. Also nice the finale clocked in at just 50 minutes rather than double that - the shorter episodes work so much better. The 65-70 minute Sunday episodes really drag.

No thread it seems this year but I've always thought with the UK version that Hunted has one of the most thrilling finals in reality TV, and the Aussie version is no exception too. Also nice the finale clocked in at just 50 minutes rather than double that - the shorter episodes work so much better. The 65-70 minute Sunday episodes really drag.
We were talking about it a bit yesterday in the today thread.
Mr Stickyfingers commented on it somewhere last week too.

I was happy with the result.

Back