Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

it shouldn't?
I don't think so anyway! I am like Jesse never really done the "dating" thing and only been set up on a blind date/meeting once. For me though the people I connect with have always felt very comfortable and like I have known for a long time. If it feels as uncomfortable or forced as some of these are it doesn't seem right to me - that's just my view though!

I don't think so anyway! I am like Jesse never really done the "dating" thing and only been set up on a blind date/meeting once. For me though the people I connect with have always felt very comfortable and like I have known for a long time. If it feels as uncomfortable or forced as some of these are it doesn't seem right to me - that's just my view though!

Oh, ok. That makes sense.

the guy who is trying to be smooth with the girl with the big hair is creeping me the F out! and yes the non crazy girl is not really selling her non craziness!

Yes he was so creepy!

I feel bad for the crazy girl, she possibly lacks self-awareness and doesn't realise how she comes across - maybe this will help her out?

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that the First Dates show was awesome! Some of those wrecks have to be actors, for sure. I hope it's just as messy (and as adorable) next week. I'm pretty sure 5-Year-Plan Chick will alienate a new guy (victim) each and every show just by ordering their meal for them each time. What a ball breaker. :laugh: As for Skeezy Guy it got to the point that I couldn't even look at him anymore. What a creeper. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Jo Thornely recaps the first episode of First Dates Australia
February 3, 20169:21pm
b3723a189baacdaa697c0066d810a620

Channel 7’s new show ‘First Dates’ is awkward television gold!

IT’S the new reality dating show that’s excruciating in the best possible way.

First Dates Australia films every cringe-worthy moment of couples on blind dates, and at the end, in front of each other, they have to decide if they’d like to keep the relationship going — no ghosting allowed.

Jo Thornely recaps the first episode.

WELCOME to First Dates Australia, sponsored by the steak industry, country manners, and unnatural nail colours.

2b1d55b64b52c3b8f49a41d723bad501

If you watch Friends, this is called ‘pulling a Monica’. If you don’t, it’s called ‘blue’.Source:Channel 7

For a reality show, it’s weird in that there’s no twists, no hidden agendas, no challenges or competitions. It’s a bunch of blind dates that are sometimes cute, sometimes excruciating, and sometimes just a guy you want to douse with disinfectant.

So, like a pervy guy at a swingers party, let’s watch one couple at a time.

1a7d72d9b3af72be2d19027c8ac6bae7

Aiden smiles at Emily ...Source:Channel 7

f5428260072d3b8fc6600507cab500e2

Emily smiles at Aiden ...Source:Supplied

THE HOT BUT BORING COUPLE

Aiden’s an international model with jeans he left in the oven too long and a thing for island women.

Emily’s an island woman who likes romance and sparks. Super-big on sparks is Emily.

He has long hair, she has long hair, they’re perfect for each other, right?

Right?

She talks about love a lot. He says ‘definitely’ a lot.

She asks if he’s a romantic. He mentions fresh-cut flowers. She sighs and asks him where he’s been. They’re perfect for each other, right?

They talk on, and we realise that what we’ve always suspected about unbelievably hot people is true.

Unbelievably hot people are boring.

But at least they’re perfect for each other, right?

Oh.

At Awkward Question Time, when asked if they’d like a second date, she rejects him. No spark, you see. They both have a lot of hair and a lot of visible cleavage, but no spark.

c5275c291aaf3feb8ff7d23f4f01f3f5

If you look closely, you can see his heart breaking underneath his pectorals.Source:Channel 7

THE COOL CHICK AND THE ENDEARING IDIOT

Nicholas’s surname is Nicholas. He has two first names and no good shirts. He is also very, very aware he’s on camera at all times.

Nicholas Nicholas falls instantly in love with Dannii, who is quite possibly the best girl ever. I was so ready to judge her blondeness and boobiness, but then very quickly I just wanted her to be my best friend and laugh at my jokes.

583f456b2ef6ab381784bc5112d03e4b

Just keep looking at your own chest, buddy.Source:Channel 7

Weirdly enough she keeps laughing at Nicholas Nicholas’ jokes, and I admit he does have an embarrassing, dorky charm. When he’s not calling a mate in the bathroom to ask for pick-up lines.

The line he’s given is “Are you a magician? Because when I look at you, everyone else disappears”.

He stuffs it up, at which point the producers cut to this unrelated image:

0abd95376f2b24e0aae729d3dda1cc4f

Treat ‘em meanie, keep ‘em zucchiniSource:Channel 7

But Dannii loves it. Nicholas Nicholas can’t seem to do anything wrong, including forgetting her name and giving her the world’s ugliest craft therapy necklace with half of his names on it.

50d22da21ea4a853d77390265d64d713

As long as it’s only the rope that gives you a rash.Source:Channel 7

By the time they get to Awkward Question Time, she’s happy to go on a second date. Funny guys and brown necklace manufacturers rejoice!

THE CUTEST COUNTRY COUPLE EVER

Young Tom is from a small country town and there’s a very excellent chance he’s never seen a pair of girl’s underpants before.

f9d1160aeef3326519e18529c12e70e3

Nice to see you.Source:Channel 7

Vanessa is from a different country town and has never had a chair pulled out for her before.

38e864e042d088f1ab5c8e6d46db6060

Nice to see YOU.Source:Channel 7

Neither of them have been on a date in a real fancy restaurant before. Neither of them have met anyone so lovely or so polite before. Neither of them realise that we are all going to their incredibly adorable wedding in a couple of months, just as soon as they’ve stopped saying “nice to see you” to each other.

When the bill comes, as if the Country Women’s Association had written the recipe for cute themselves, this happens:

ee74f950244c51bea151cc9e2ded12e0

More electricity than a battery-powered cattle prod.Source:Channel 7

Tom and Vanessa are rural Australia’s Romeo and Juliet. But like, with less deaths and stuff.

e838c547c1539383178a27959c7bd8b1

Awwwwwww.Source:Channel 7

THE I’M NOT A CRAZY CAT LADY AND CORBIN

Lauren and Corbin are both warm-blooded bipeds, but the similarity pretty much stops there.

In Lauren’s words:

“I’ve definitely had those days where like most women where I felt like dating may just never happen? That I may die alone? That I’m gonna be living with 10 cats, and that no-one will know that I’ve died because the cats would’ve eaten me?”

Lauren seems pretty relaxed.

534105b9d1095a33f251552e31d205ec

Hey Lauren, let’s make the next one decaf.Source:Channel 7

Lauren trains six days a week. Lauren would like no butter in her Paris butter. Lauren has achieved almost everything in her five-year plan except for eating carbs and letting other people talk.

In Corbin’s words:

28e61effe41e37cec0bb4a2a7a02b5bf

“Yep”.Source:Channel 7

You know how when a clothes shop advertises itself as a ‘fashion boutique’, you can almost guarantee there’s nothing fashionable inside? Lauren tells Corbin she’s not crazy nine times.

Weirdly Corbin denies the opportunity for another date.

a9f1b48861489527cc3d9a9bdd8b210f

He must be crazy.Source:Channel 7

So I guess all that leaves is:

THE CREEPIEST GUY TO BE ANYWHERE OR DO ANYTHING EVER

In what world does a vivacious, salsa-dancing Sicilian woman in a satin dress with a frothy explosion of hair become the second-most noteworthy person in the room? In a world where Chris exists.

c8c84b57898ddc830ac57375d8915eea

He does believe he has arrived.Source:Channel 7

I can say with complete sincerity that everything Chris says and does is the worst thing that has ever happened.

From the moment he meets Caterina and says “We’re going to spend a little bit of time together. Let’s get lubricated”, you know that he’s the kind of man who practices his pick-up lines in the mirror and his kissing skills on life-size dolls made from real human skin.

Chris is the kind of man who says that the vibrations in house music make him hot, while making this face:

ac9dd546d9fc1f5eac48eb306177ee25

Australia feels the vibration of imminent upchuck.Source:Channel 7

Chris is the kind of man who, when asked what he does for a living, says “You know how like every man has his passions? I think with women, it goes down a little bit deeper. They’ve got more than passions. I think they’ve got ...”

1a52d6c4b25493d3d94bc8bddc791297

(Chris pauses, Australia waits, gorge rising)Source:Channel 7

“..... ZEST”.

Caterina is the kind of woman who smiles confusedly while a smarmy idiot wearing a suit and jogging shoes rubs her hands across the table.

e5618dc2fa76c8c36b679ee6683c5d25

It’s OK, she has hand sanitiser in her purse.Source:Channel 7

Very surprisingly, we find that Caterina seems willing to go on a second date.

bebe8d8bf9c7b1b9adc0d17b0e5f923f

Maybe she has shares in Ipecac.Source:Channel 7

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...a/news-story/8279f8c28eacdc309b7b859945a63cb4

Someone please set me up with Aiden the delightfully long maned international male model. :smile:

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that the First Dates show was awesome! Some of those wrecks have to be actors, for sure. I hope it's just as messy (and as adorable) next week. I'm pretty sure 5-Year-Plan Chick will alienate a new guy (victim) each and every show just by ordering their meal for them each time. What a ball breaker. :laugh: As for Skeezy Guy it got to the point that I couldn't even look at him anymore. What a creeper. :roflmao:

I watched this too, it was much better than it had any right to be.
Sicilian guy was off the chart creepy. The young country couple were adorable.

MacGyver set for a remake:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...e/news-story/8d449bcc509b0c7259683dd79395c344

I'm not sure how well it would work though, his solutions would have to be far more tech-based now than paperclips and chewing gum, which would detract from their uniqueness. Does MacGyver solving problems with an iphone app have the same appeal?
My favourite MacGyver hack was grinding a magnesium bicycle into powder to create an improvised thermite welder to open a hole in an armoured delivery van. I sooo hoped that one would make Mythbusters.

I've just been reading a few more articles, and I'm not sure when it's set. If it's a re-imagining set now, or if it's truer to the original MacGyver's timeline and set in the 60s or 70s when he would have been a 20-something.

My favourite MacGyver hack was grinding a magnesium bicycle into powder to create an improvised thermite welder to open a hole in an armoured delivery van. I sooo hoped that one would make Mythbusters.

I can't really remember any of the details of what he did. I think I vaguely remember something about burning magnesium?

Did anyone watch Here Come the Habibs last night? I only caught the second half, I usually give new Aussie shows a look plus they got so much promotion with all the controversy - apparently there were over a million viewers!

So much fuss over nothing, I did not interpret it as being offensive at all. The jokes seemed to fall a bit flat, but beyond that I did not see what all the commotion was over.

Did anyone watch Here Come the Habibs last night? I only caught the second half, I usually give new Aussie shows a look plus they got so much promotion with all the controversy - apparently there were over a million viewers!

So much fuss over nothing, I did not interpret it as being offensive at all. The jokes seemed to fall a bit flat, but beyond that I did not see what all the commotion was over.
We turned over after after MKR to check it out - watched about 5mins and go bored. Just didn't hold our interest. I don't think I saw anything to warrant controversy

We turned over after after MKR to check it out - watched about 5mins and go bored. Just didn't hold our interest. I don't think I saw anything to warrant controversy

Yes exactly, not controversial (in my opinion) but not especially great or funny, people should focus on the latter if they really want to find fault with this show.

I watched it and the Cronulla riots references wore thin on me as I live here. It was ok the show and lol to see a couple of the 'Fat Pizza' 'Housos' actors on there.
Overall, I don't think it will last. Just my opinion.

Australia's Got Talent is pissweak this year. I got about halfway through episode two this week before giving up. The judging panel aren't right and the talent is completely absent in the acts, yet they rave about almost every one.

Back