Skip to main content

The Circle - Series 2

Would would you prefer on Aussie TV next year?

• The Circle Australia

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Big Brother Australia

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
I like Ella she's shaken things up. I also find Georgina loud (even Brooke can be, but she isn't featured much) but she's been in a relatively comfortable position so far. Plus Ella sides with Sammie and she isn't completely with the Tim gang.

She’s shaken thing up for sure but her targeting of Brooke for petty reasons is starting to turn me off.

Didn't like Ella at first but she really has grown on me. Gutted though the twist denied Woody and Ella the chance to be influencers - that could have been very interesting indeed.

Do find with this show you tend to have instant hatred of the newbies and then actually find out they're not that bad as I guess their "persona" they go in with disappears. Even found Beth quite watchable on Friday.

As for the twist, on the one hand the opportunity to get rid of Jack and Beth in one swoop rather than have them coupled up and the inevitable showmance is quite appealing, but have no desire to watch their potential replacements, and a couple playing the boyfriend as single isn't interesting at all. They really should have given both pairs the challenge of playing 62 year old Joyce. I think as Kingston alluded too earlier though we all do quite like the idea of a player being blocked and returning as another player (or themselves if they were catfishing), so for that reason Jack and Beth would be interesting. And not sure who said it on the live show but agree it would offer some competition for Tim.

Didn't like Ella at first but she really has grown on me. Gutted though the twist denied Woody and Ella the chance to be influencers - that could have been very interesting indeed.

Do find with this show you tend to have instant hatred of the newbies and then actually find out they're not that bad as I guess their "persona" they go in with disappears. Even found Beth quite watchable on Friday.

As for the twist, on the one hand the opportunity to get rid of Jack and Beth in one swoop rather than have them coupled up and the inevitable showmance is quite appealing, but have no desire to watch their potential replacements, and a couple playing the boyfriend as single isn't interesting at all. They really should have given both pairs the challenge of playing 62 year old Joyce. I think as Kingston alluded too earlier though we all do quite like the idea of a player being blocked and returning as another player (or themselves if they were catfishing), so for that reason Jack and Beth would be interesting. And not sure who said it on the live show but agree it would offer some competition for Tim.

I’m the exact opposite... Ella went in as someone I thought was fun and hilarious. Her savage approach really isn’t working in her favour.

As for the twist I like the idea behind it but you’re correct in saying it’s disappointing to see a shift in power in terms of influencers and not getting to see it play out.

any links for season 1 that I can download? no internet for next two days so I need something to watch

The real beth

Emily Collier

@Emily_Collier97

·
8h

Replying to
@vampire_cherry
Thank you for the nice words but I’m not about putting her down. That being said you are too kind!! And I’ve already asked for the painting

👀

😂

Does anyone ever actually use hashtags in PMs? #enquiringmindsneedtoknow

Spent the last couple days catching up on season two after falling in love with this show back in season one

I'm loving it even more than last season! Love the entire cast, obviously some more than others, but I wouldn't be fussed with anyone winning really. It feels nice to be able to sort of sit back and just let the events unfold without getting too upset about the blockings.

Unlike what I've quickly read in this thread I actually think the live shows have brought a good buzz and have further emphasised that it's an as-it-happens kind of reality show. I thought the most recent live show had a few pacing issues (I thought they should've just gotten Jay's mum's interview out of the way towards the start) but idk, I enjoy the energy.

The second live program was better as they got rid of the zelebs, and they probably cut back and forth between the interviews and the episode less. I'll only judge it compared to the first series when it ends, but the first time round was inevitably more surprising to people.

Paddy is annoying and trashy, I don't want it to devolve to what Big Brother became and be full of tedious sex talk. Although this was put in the Big Brother forum here I don't think it has to be seen as a replacement for that, I'd rather it be seen as having it's own strategy and identity. Woody seems to be trying a bit too hard to be entertaining at times, Ella just seems naturally exuberant.

Today's ep felt like padding. Paddy coming out (as it were), a bit of speculation about Joyce, and the game which didn't stir them up too much. #NeedSomeRatings

The whole sad music/back story stuff they've put in with Georgina and now with Paddy seems something new, I don't remember this last year. And it's not really what I'd expect on British reality shows, at least not how it was in the past. I remember Big Brother when they had no background music, or spoiler previews at every break and the start of the show. When they did put background music in I remember it seeming very amateur, such as on evictions, trying to add more drama when it just wasn't needed. And when I saw the American format I saw how they used music much better and more for comedy.

It just feels too manipulative now. Even with the vote ins it was obvious what the producers wanted and what would happen. The narrator carries on the comic tradition of some British reality shows which has been seen for many years, even the previous decade, but I think there's been some bias in what she says sometimes as well.

I have always found it curious that Big Brother and The Circle air so late at night in the UK (10pm). Australian networks would never relegate such an expensive show as BB to that slot. What is so different about the UK TV landscape that makes it possible? What are they showing between 7 and 10pm that is better and higher rating? There's not much in the way of adult content in The Circle (although Paddy's dropped a few lately lol). I do hope BBAU gets a later slot when it returns - if only 8.30pm. @Brekkie thoughts?

Okay, so curiosity got the better of me after I'd read a couple posts about the show here...

To be honest, I don't think I'd actually heard about The Circle or what it was about before... but may I just say, over 12 (binge-worthy) hours later and I am now officially hooked. 😆 I've only picked it up from season 2 for now, but have managed to watch all 13 episodes thus far so I'm all caught up - I think the concept is brilliant. So so brilliant! I'll be watching the remainder of this season daily, and will hopefully get around to catching up on season 1 as soon as I can. I've genuinely laughed, cried and held myself in suspense several times already. (#️DickPics #️WTF #️SoManyHashtags)

I'd love to see this show make an Australian debut one day, but somehow I just don't think this is the type of reality show I can imagine Aussie audiences watching after more than an episode or two. Perhaps a Netflix-type deal like the US series would be better fit?

Either way, loving it!

I have always found it curious that Big Brother and The Circle air so late at night in the UK (10pm). Australian networks would never relegate such an expensive show as BB to that slot. What is so different about the UK TV landscape that makes it possible? What are they showing between 7 and 10pm that is better and higher rating? There's not much in the way of adult content in The Circle (although Paddy's dropped a few lately lol). I do hope BBAU gets a later slot when it returns - if only 8.30pm. @Brekkie thoughts?
We're allowed to stay up later here. ;)

Two reasons basically. Channel 4 has always been more youth orientated so concentrated on later at night (they've always had an hour of news at 7pm), and the main channels - BBC1 and ITV - concentrate content on 7-10pm and switch to news at 10pm, so it's an opportunity for C4 and other smaller channels to grab an audience, although 9pm is a much more open slot now the BBC and ITV don't dominate it with drama in the way they used too. C4 especially did experiment with Big Brother at 9pm in later years, and though Celeb BB worked there in the winter on the whole in the summer, when it's still light at 9pm, it generally performed better in the later slot. 9pm is very much the flagship slot for TV in the UK - so airing at 10pm is the equivalent of airing at 8.30pm in Australia really.

Compared to Europe though we're still off to bed early - some of their Big Brother live shows, notably in Spain, often won't start till about 10.15/10.30 and air for 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
As for the last couple of shows - Mondays highlights exactly where The Circle gets it right and this week got it wrong. So far this series it's felt all about the contestants, but Monday felt like it was all about the twist - and it does feel premeditated considering how Jack and Beth were added as new players together then evicted together. Is quite interesting though but I think a more interesting twist would be two players in one flat playing two people.

Tuesdays was more interesting but couldn't help but feel Paddy only told his story as he knew the ratings/blocking was imminent and he'd be vulnerable.

feel Paddy only told his story as he knew the ratings/blocking was imminent and he'd be vulnerable.
I don't think he was going to keep it a secret forever so can't really blame him for doing it now. Any sympathy/empathy he gets from it will be short lived so he will need to continue to build friendships/relationships to stay in there.

Okay, so curiosity got the better of me after I'd read a couple posts about the show here...

To be honest, I don't think I'd actually heard about The Circle or what it was about before... but may I just say, over 12 (binge-worthy) hours later and I am now officially hooked. 😆 I've only picked it up from season 2 for now, but have managed to watch all 13 episodes thus far so I'm all caught up - I think the concept is brilliant. So so brilliant! I'll be watching the remainder of this season daily, and will hopefully get around to catching up on season 1 as soon as I can. I've genuinely laughed, cried and held myself in suspense several times already. (#️️️DickPics #️️️WTF #️️️SoManyHashtags)

I'd love to see this show make an Australian debut one day, but somehow I just don't think this is the type of reality show I can imagine Aussie audiences watching after more than an episode or two. Perhaps a Netflix-type deal like the US series would be better fit?

Either way, loving it!

I'll be uploading series 1 to YouTube once the current series is complete... Glad you're enjoying it!

The first series had many of the same games. If they wanted to have less twists they'd have more in at the start, but I don't think they trust the audience to have a long enough attention span (all the previews they give during the show) The only real reason to show it late is the salacious talk, which is aimed at a teenage audience anyway, much like it was on Big Brother.

The main interest to me is whether Ella can get into the final over one of the originals, it looks very possible at this point. Brooke hasn't really taken off, her pointing at the screen in a detached voice isn't engaging. Georgina has arguably declined but I think she's got a strong chance for the final with the alliances she has. I'm hoping Sammie makes it, it wouldn't be as interesting a final without a catfish. Woody seems a nice person, but he's a bit dull to me, sometimes I even forget his name.

Last edited:
Back