Skip to main content

The Block

Am I being naive?
We are watching the show on catchup.
What has become blatantly obvious to me is this show is nothing more than an extended advertisement.
Was it ever anything else?
Don’t forget that you are “privileged” to even be on the show.
FML

I am liking this season as I have fond memories of Gisborne where they have filmed this show. When I was younger my mate's brother in law had a nice large block of land up there and house at Gisborne and we would usually travel out there on most weekends from Melbourne up the Calder Freeway.

I still remember my mate's brother in law had an old Holden Torana up there on the block and we would sometimes head up there on the weekend and 'paddock bash' that old beast around the block of land it was great fun. We sort of had made a race track around the block and it even had a little jump 'dukes of hazzard' style. It was just a 6 cylinder Torana but let me tell you that tough little old red Holden engine would never die I mean we really thrashed that old beast around that block of land many times and the beast just kept on going. Eventually what stopped the little beast was another mate got a bit too keen and took the 'jump' a bit too fast and the front of the car really jumped up in the air a bit too much and then the front end of the car slammed back into the ground rather hard and it smashed and folded in the front end of the Torana to the point where the radiator got pushed back into the fan and it cut up the radiator. Sadly that was the last time we ever drove around that old beast up at the old Gisborne block of land. Here is a picture of what it sort of looked like from what I remember, now that I think of it imagine what one of these things would be worth now as a restored collector model?

1660411529753.png

Another time I won't forget was one night me and my mate had bought some fish and chips from the local Gisborne shopping strip and thought it would be great to drive up to the top of Mount Macedon and eat the food up on the mountain and enjoy the view, anyway the weather suddenly turned really dark and we were pretty much up that high we were in the clouds that seemed to be coming and it was a rather serious thunderstorm that all of a sudden we were right smack dab in the middle of. We quickly jumped in his old Ford XF utility and shut all the windows and basically hoped for the best as we slowly descended down the mountain on the road, we pretty much had no visibility in front of the car just rolling clouds everywhere and flashes of lightning and thunder all around us. Luckily the car never got struck by the lightning and we made it down the mountain ever so slowly and then we could see more clearly at lower ground level and we were out of danger I guess. That's one of those moments in life that you never forget and it stays with you forever. All this stuff would have been sometime in the late 1990's.

In the end my mates brother in law kept holding off in selling the block of land to developers until he eventually got the right amount, after a few years they ended up selling the block of land for a nice amount and moved further up north somewhere near the Murray River. So you can imagine when I watch them filming around Gisborne and hearing Scott Cam mentioning Mount Macedon all the memories just come rushing back!

Cheers! :)

Am I being naive?
We are watching the show on catchup.
What has become blatantly obvious to me is this show is nothing more than an extended advertisement.
Don’t forget that you are “privileged” to even be on the show.
FML
It is funny how the contestant turn the bottle of milk so we can see all of the label, they do it like if someone told them in a earpiece, lol

If they did leave for family reasons that's an entirely different matter so why is Scott Cam and the show portraying them as "quitters" who couldn't handle the heat? If they don't know the reason for their sudden departure wouldn't it be better to keep your mouth shut and stop speculating until you do know?

For the drama. Before the show started it was said they left due to one of their Mothers falling & hurting themselves, now it;s they left in the dead of night & not a peep out of them.

Jenny has to have some balls.

The ad with her I'm a tradie lady was cringe. And they said she glams up.

Didn't happen on my TV. lol

For the drama. Before the show started it was said they left due to one of their Mothers falling & hurting themselves, now it;s they left in the dead of night & not a peep out of them.
I saw somewhere that this happened before the show and she was fine ,seems they told the contestants that.If it was the reason they would have made a whole thing about it on the show

Haven't watched it for years but the show has always revolved around product placement, even when it first launched in 2001(?) they had slow panning shots of fridges full of branded foods, branded power tools etc. I think it reached its lowest point when the contestants were forced to wear sponsor-branded shirts and caps. That was particularly off-putting. I watched a few eps of The Block NZ and they still have them wearing the sponsorwear.

And even though I like the NZ contestants, I am just over it, didn't even make it through the first six eps I'd downloaded. So it's not just Scott. it's the format I'm done with. Although I should add I'd rather they renovated existing houses. New builds are such a bore.

Tom and Sarah-Jane...Tom needs to settle down a bit. The wardrobes were on the wrong wall imo. BUT seeing as they are where they are why not remove the one that is closest to the window? It's not really needed as there are four others and it's just a guest bedroom. Surely that's easier than moving a window and throwing the balance of the exterior out?

There was a focus on autumn colours in a lot of the bedrooms tonight.,.err It's not autumn all of the time. Are the contestants suggesting that the eventual owners of the homes change the decor depending on what season it is? Stupid if that's the case.

It's weird watching Tom,he looks a lot like my brother-in-law .I hated the boys room ,that alcove was just stupid.
Ankur and Sharon......entitled pair IMO......I think theyr'e going to be suing the block for 'bullying" afterwards , Ankur does not look
impressed every time the wine is mentioned.

It's weird watching Tom,he looks a lot like my brother-in-law .I hated the boys room ,that alcove was just stupid.
Ankur and Sharon......entitled pair IMO......I think theyr'e going to be suing the block for 'bullying" afterwards , Ankur does not look
impressed every time the wine is mentioned.
Totally agree with you...except for Tom looking like your b-i-l...but I'll take your word for it! :p 😘

SJ drives me fucking bonkers. She's too much haha. Also, their fireplace was in the wrong spot? Nice room, but didn't get the hype.

A&S room was fucking horrid - sorry!

I like the renovators room the best, I think its the most saleable out of all the houses so far. But the beanbag was certainly not high end!

The chippy couple's walk in robe was amazing, but not sure it's the first thing you wanna see when you walk into your bedroom? Probably needed to flip the rooms.

The boys room wasn't bad, but the study looked cheap. A nice day bed or something would have been better.

I am liking this season as I have fond memories of Gisborne where they have filmed this show. When I was younger my mate's brother in law had a nice large block of land up there and house at Gisborne and we would usually travel out there on most weekends from Melbourne up the Calder Freeway.

I still remember my mate's brother in law had an old Holden Torana up there on the block and we would sometimes head up there on the weekend and 'paddock bash' that old beast around the block of land it was great fun. We sort of had made a race track around the block and it even had a little jump 'dukes of hazzard' style. It was just a 6 cylinder Torana but let me tell you that tough little old red Holden engine would never die I mean we really thrashed that old beast around that block of land many times and the beast just kept on going. Eventually what stopped the little beast was another mate got a bit too keen and took the 'jump' a bit too fast and the front of the car really jumped up in the air a bit too much and then the front end of the car slammed back into the ground rather hard and it smashed and folded in the front end of the Torana to the point where the radiator got pushed back into the fan and it cut up the radiator. Sadly that was the last time we ever drove around that old beast up at the old Gisborne block of land. Here is a picture of what it sort of looked like from what I remember, now that I think of it imagine what one of these things would be worth now as a restored collector model?

View attachment 59225

Another time I won't forget was one night me and my mate had bought some fish and chips from the local Gisborne shopping strip and thought it would be great to drive up to the top of Mount Macedon and eat the food up on the mountain and enjoy the view, anyway the weather suddenly turned really dark and we were pretty much up that high we were in the clouds that seemed to be coming and it was a rather serious thunderstorm that all of a sudden we were right smack dab in the middle of. We quickly jumped in his old Ford XF utility and shut all the windows and basically hoped for the best as we slowly descended down the mountain on the road, we pretty much had no visibility in front of the car just rolling clouds everywhere and flashes of lightning and thunder all around us. Luckily the car never got struck by the lightning and we made it down the mountain ever so slowly and then we could see more clearly at lower ground level and we were out of danger I guess. That's one of those moments in life that you never forget and it stays with you forever. All this stuff would have been sometime in the late 1990's.

In the end my mates brother in law kept holding off in selling the block of land to developers until he eventually got the right amount, after a few years they ended up selling the block of land for a nice amount and moved further up north somewhere near the Murray River. So you can imagine when I watch them filming around Gisborne and hearing Scott Cam mentioning Mount Macedon all the memories just come rushing back!

Cheers! :)
Golly! What a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Back