Skip to main content

The Block

Caught up on the two episodes tonight.
No Keith and Dan in the first episode gave me a little bit of hope that they weren’t on this season. Alas, hope dashed! Haha. They’ve still got some lame editing cartoony stuff but I’m glad so far they haven’t used the spongebob “one hour later” thing… yet.

The fans couples all seem pretty likeable to me. The boys from LI seemed like pretty genuine guys on the show as far as I remember. Didn’t watch either of the faves seasons so don’t really know them and will reserve judgement.

Last year was my first watch after a few years off, the painting rule is dumb. Do people who buy these houses have to go and hire a painter to repaint the whole thing after they purchase? Why did the contestants have to paint… If they’re able to manage their budget and afford some help in painting, what’s the harm?

Also I’m sure the producers told Kirsty to go see the boys getting help with painting. So a little unfair for her to be labelled a dobber. (All part of the expected soapie drama of this show).

Love that the houses are all so different in the cul de sac and the blockheads get to design it themselves. Imagine being a tenant in that street over the last few months. 😩

Will they have the hipages lever again? Also surprised they didn’t plug all the companies in the blocks bucks folder yet.

I actually liked the LI boys challenge bedroom. It’s funny with the boys led lights, Darren said tacky as hell but the younger tik tok generation would love it. I’m not sure about their idea of glass doors in the kinsmen wardrobes through their house though. Will have to see how they look in the finished designs.

I didn’t mind the girl who did her own artwork.

Funny that the challenge was a bit redundant due to them all wanting different houses.

man it’s going to be a marathon this year keeping up with
-Survivor
- The Block
- And The Voice
All airing on the same nights.
The contestants have to paint to provide even MORE drama...already tired people make mistakes and get bitchy but people who have to stay up all night can take it to another level. I have it on good authority that the houses are taken over by trades after the final judging and before the auction. These trades get the houses up to code/standard and into a saleable condition.

Love the different houses too and that they basically have to design the layout themselves. I would HATE to be in the house between 1&2 and 3&4!

Not sold on the glass wardrobe doors either unless they are frosted/coloured glass...but will wait and see.

I like purple haired girl too and her artwork was quite good.

Yep! Challenge was a waste of time.

Tell me about trying to watch three shows in one night! Haha! Off to watch the Voice now...

Never really watched apart from snippets.
Probs cos Scott Cam or whatever the f his name is comes across as in incredibly dislikeable human. But I say that with limited exposure.

I really hope we don't get a whole bunch of manufactured drama this year, but with M&M and Georgia, that doesn't seem likely.

The newbies are actually ok so far - they seem fairly down to earth.

The blank canvas to design it themselves is a good idea actually. I also like that they can do whatever style they want. I hate in past seasons where they're forced to keep heritage features and style. If you hate the style, you won't do a good job.

That poor person sandwiched between houses 1&2 and 3&4!! I mean, I get some people are attached to their houses, but I would have sold my joint in a heartbeat if that was my street. Especially when channel 9 were paying overs too.

I do because I've done it. In Vic you can add 50% to an existing house without council approval as long as the building does not come within a metre of a fence. Noticed that they all have slabs and Scotty said that they have to keep within that footprint.
Of course within minutes of me hitting post Scotty explained how it was going to work #facepalm

I really hope we don't get a whole bunch of manufactured drama this year, but with M&M and Georgia, that doesn't seem likely.

The newbies are actually ok so far - they seem fairly down to earth.

The blank canvas to design it themselves is a good idea actually. I also like that they can do whatever style they want. I hate in past seasons where they're forced to keep heritage features and style. If you hate the style, you won't do a good job.

That poor person sandwiched between houses 1&2 and 3&4!! I mean, I get some people are attached to their houses, but I would have sold my joint in a heartbeat if that was my street. Especially when channel 9 were paying overs too.
I bet they are being paid a shitload in 'compensation for the inconvenience' and have probably moved out for the duration to suitable alternative accommodation.
Of course within minutes of me hitting post Scotty explained how it was going to work #facepalm
You do have a point though. While under the 50% scenario you don't need council approval you do need a building permit and to obtain that you have to submit plans. The Block must have submitted something to obtain the permits.

^^So far I have to agree R&G & M&M have been quite pleasant but we'll see.

Wonder who's right two 27 yo sons of a real estate agent or a very well credentialed architect? I'll put my money on the architect. Huge master bedrooms are a waste of space...what are you going to do in there? Two car garages are much more useful and if thoughtfully designed can also act as a games room, gym etc.

Completely agree - you literally just sleep in a bedroom, you're not exactly hanging out there. A double garage far more beneficial.

Wonder what the cheating scandal is all about. I thought I read that was happening in the first week?

Completely agree - you literally just sleep in a bedroom, you're not exactly hanging out there. A double garage far more beneficial.

Wonder what the cheating scandal is all about. I thought I read that was happening in the first week?
I disagree but I am definitely not the target market.

Mitch and Mark’s pink room is a bit yuck. The wardrobe is ghastly IMO.

From where I sit, this show would be interesting at 2 episodes a week tops. All the other stuff and drama is just fluff and filler. So is there some budget tipping point that means the producers need to air the show 4 or 5 days a week to cover/recoup their costs?

From where I sit, this show would be interesting at 2 episodes a week tops. All the other stuff and drama is just fluff and filler. So is there some budget tipping point that means the producers need to air the show 4 or 5 days a week to cover/recoup their costs?
They are contractually obliged to mention Mitre 10, Hi Pages and McDonald’s/McCafe 96 times each per week. Much easier to do over 4 eps than 2.

I disagree but I am definitely not the target market.

Mitch and Mark’s pink room is a bit yuck. The wardrobe is ghastly IMO.
I wonder what Nicole thought of the twins idea. She told M & M that they should have four bedrooms and not such a big master and they managed to fit in a fourth by shifting a few walls and still keeping the two car garage.

An all pink room is such a polarizing thing...you'll either love it or hate it. I'll reserve judgement until the reveal but I have a feeling that I won't like it either.

R & G: I loved their room but it was too small/cramped.

M & M: Not as bad as I thought it might be but again too small/cramped and a bit boring.

L & J: Very nice room but the glass wardrobe doors didn't do it for me. Shaynna is right...with those you need to be meticulously neat and who wants to look at their clothes while laying in bed anyway?

K & J: Another lovely room but I see the judges point about the facing wall needing something.

T & V: Great room but a shame they believed their builder so much. Styling was gorgeous imo.

Completely agree with everything you said! Besides the glass wardrobe, I think the twins had the best room. Who the fuck would want a glass wardrobe lol.

M&M and R&G both had small rooms and a bit boring.

Bring on bathroom week, that and kitchen week are my favourites haha.

I’m starting to think we don’t need to watch all week if they’re just going to recap everything every reveal episode..

I’m starting to think we don’t need to watch all week if they’re just going to recap everything every reveal episode..
I zoned out and did something else during those...mostly trips to the fridge for a top up and then the inevitable bathroom breaks 🤣 one thing leads to another...

At last it seems that Keith and Dan are inspecting structural work BEFORE the contestants get too far into their rooms...should have always been the case.

Back