Skip to main content

The Australian - Channel Nine may Resurrect Big Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
That original theme is truly terrible. I just think "Good Morning America"...I can see it sitting right at home with BBUSA, actually.

If we weren't able to keep the original Aus. theme, lets hope we pick up BBUK's one. And their eye. Hell, let's just broadcast BBUK!

Most places in SA outside of Adelaide don't get Channel Nine.

:( sucks.

Lucky you pinklime, No Eddy or Gordon Ramsay. Life is bliss.

WHAT! Thats not true.... maybe a minority, but not majority.

If you live between 100-200kms outside Adelaide, you get intermittant coverage...usually cuts in and out on digital...mostly out. Used to work on analogue but not anymore Outside 200ks you may as well forget it. Some friends of mine were only recently complaining about it. Since the digital swapover, channel 9 is a waste of time even trying to watch anything. 75% of the time is no signal and the other 25% is so pixillated and audio cuts in and out its not worth bothering about

Bbus

All of that is true, but to explain the difference in rules doesn't begin to explain. It is very full of drama, lying,backstabbing, and paranoia. Imagine the intensity of "The Big Sting" every week. And if the housema.....um house guests don't create enough drama on their own, BB apparently creates some in diary room sessions which are seldom heard.

I am no expert, have only watched two seasons, but the US show is very dark, shows the houseguests at the worst. Talking about strategy is allowed, and considering there are no weekly tasks, that is pretty much all they do is talk strategy. Lots of whispering, and private conversations. The bullying and whinging (haha I said whinging) on BBAUS is nothing. Although my favorites are gone from BB08, I don't really hate any of the remaining housemates. Halfway through the US season I really do hate at least half the HG's, and take perverse pleasure in seeing some of them have total meltdowns.

Some of the competitions are pretty cool. In a recent one, six houseguests crawl through honey jump onto a giant bed and rip open a feather pillow (so you are covered with honey and now feathers are all over and soon you are covered with feathers as well as honey) to get a stuffed bear, crawl back through the honey and place the bear in a jar. The first one to do this five times won the "Power of Veto", a weekly thing.

Some competitions are physical endurance and some are just Q&A and dumb luck. It should be good to win HOH competition....HOH nominates two for eviction, but that often puts a target on you next week....you've just made two enemies and one or both will stay.

Strategy is very confusing. There are alliances like the Evil Black Crows and 3 Blonde Mice, and then secret sub-alliances, for example Nobbi would have a deal with Cherry, Alice thinks she has a secret alliance with Rory, but he really has a pact with Bridget. It is very confusing and the way to get to the end is to make promises to several then stab most of them in the back.

The sequester house is the oddest strategy of all. Seven evicted house guests make up a jury which selects a winner from the final two. To get to the final two you have probably lied to most of the jury, and perhaps voted them out.

The weekly eviction show is live, but the other two weekly shows are taped and usually biased for and against certain houseguests. Much of the real action happens on the 24/7 live feeds (which are often turned off for minutes or hours) and the daily three hour cable show, After Dark. For me, that was the addictive part....most of the time on the feeds it is sort of Warholish, they sit around doing nothing, but you never know when something major is going to happen so you are find yourself watching constantly.

The US show is very dark....I started watching BBAUS this year, saw the Kombi van and the dinner lottery and laughed my butt off. Put it on a dvd and showed it to a BBUS fan at work, told her "I don't know what this is, but its pretty funny", and we have been watching ever since. I really like the Australian show a lot better, I guess next year I will watch UK.

I have no idea why I wrote all of this.

its basically survivor but live, so no viewer votig evictions, they are allowed to discuss nominations, form alliances, basically once a week there is a Head of house competition, the winner gets a rewards room and must put two people up for eviction, then later that week there is a Veto competition where the people up for eviction and i think 4 others cmpete for the chanceto either change nominations or keep them the same, if a nominee wins the Veto comp they can take themselves off and HOH must put someone else up, if either HOH or a HM wins it they can take someone off or leave it as is but run th risk of being put up. At the end of the week the HMs all vote (apart from HOH and nominees) and the one with the higest votes is evicted, from memory if its a tie HOH decides, the next week the HOH winner cannot compete for HOH.

About half way through evicted HMs are put in to isloation known as saquester (spelling?) where they cannot watch whats happening, then eac time someone is evicted they go there with a DVD of how it went down, at the end of the season the SQ house vote for the winner.

So they get HOH Show, Veto Show and Eviction Show per week, they offer live feeds via the web and i think it offers multiple camera views, ohh and each week they compete for food, if they win they win the food they played for, if they lose they are on slop for the week.

During the season they have some twists and generally the HOH, Food comp and Veto cometitions are quite good, alot like FNL type things, usually physical.

Drama, more like typical American psychological abuse, just for one person's entertainment. Sick.

Is some of this article seeming to suggest that if they get it they will cut it down on the hours it is broadcast?

If it is.. I'm not sure how they can successfully do that. One of the big problems with Big Brother this year, was that there wasn't enough of it. No Uplate and no nominations show for the just evicted housemate to have a chat. Although I guess Big Mouth helped in a replacement for that somewhat, but still it suffered majorly as we really didn't get to see as much of the house and the housemates as we should due to no Uplate. I guess Nine could give the late night live streaming to the other channels they'll have to broadcast on via digital, though.

On top of that, I really don't know how Nine will possibly have a Sunday show what with running 60 Minutes and all that, also definitely do not follow suit with the US. We do not need Survivor in a house!

The eviction shows don't have to be on Sundays - they are on on Fridays in the UK.

If Nine were to do it I would imagine they would have eviction shows on Mondays, as that's been a down night for them for a while.

Does anybody think Nine may be considering BB as a solution to their 5:30pm news lead-in problem? After Wheel of Fortune failed, they're probably looking for something other than repeats of Antiques Roadshow to put there.

It's technically not in primetime, so it wouldn't count towards their share. The early timeslot would mean it could never be a mega-hit, but it could rate reasonably well, somewhere close to a million.

I could see them doing a one-hour eviction, an Uncut-type programme at 10:30pm and maybe a Nominations show too. FNL would most likely get the boot since it doesn't target their favoured demo and they have footy on Fridays in northern states.

The eviction shows don't have to be on Sundays - they are on on Fridays in the UK.

If Nine were to do it I would imagine they would have eviction shows on Mondays, as that's been a down night for them for a while.

Er No Dear..
FNL is on friday you idiot
oh so what a 6 hour length of BB Eviction
and FNL together
& Evictions are on Monday!
so no..

I Dont Think So!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody think Nine may be considering BB as a solution to their 5:30pm news lead-in problem? After Wheel of Fortune failed, they're probably looking for something other than repeats of Antiques Roadshow to put there.

It's technically not in primetime, so it wouldn't count towards their share. The early timeslot would mean it could never be a mega-hit, but it could rate reasonably well, somewhere close to a million.

I could see them doing a one-hour eviction, an Uncut-type programme at 10:30pm and maybe a Nominations show too. FNL would most likely get the boot since it doesn't target their favoured demo and they have footy on Fridays in northern states.

No.....
Because alot of the older audiences are on there way home from work at that time..
that would lose quiet a large number of audiences,

Er No Dear..
FNL is on friday you idiot
oh so what a 6 hour length of BB Eviction
and FNL together
& Evictions are on Monday!
so no..

I Dont Think So!

FNL coul easily be moved to another night and be under a different name. Or better yet axed completely.

FNL coul easily be moved to another night and be under a different name. Or better yet axed completely.

FNL is what holds BB together
get rid of it and we would lose alot of the younger audiences..
So No...

FNL is what holds BB together

LOL!!!! Funniest post I've ever read on BBBA.

FNL is the most superfluous and dispensable aspect of Big Brother. Trust me, it's much better off without it.

And as for losing the younger audience, I think you'll find if BB moves to Channel Nine they won't be targetting such an audience anyway.

channel 9 will go for the older crowd making it boring as hell from censorship. atm its boring as hell bc its targetted for kids. we need in between, f0x8 will be perfect. they have the best reality shows

This seasons Big Brother USA has actually changed a lot.
The titles are much improved: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vq278vI-Bc&fmt=18
Their are now live audiances at eviction shows, and their are no cast twists (First time since season 3)!

As much as I like BBAU I think it is time to sprouse it up, but not as drastically as BBUS!
Btw, BBUS is still with Endemol as they would have to be with the Big Brother name... and it shows the Endemol logo at the end credits. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back