Skip to main content

The Australian - Channel Nine may Resurrect Big Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Endemols lease at Dreamworld ends at the end of '09. If Nine buy the rights to BB off Endemol, that includes the Dreamworld lot. Otherwise, until the lease is up, it's Endemols business what happens on that land. Remember though, if Nine do take on BB, they only get use of the land and the buildings attached to it. All of the other assets - cameras, mics, computers, furnishings, studio equipment etc - they have to supply all that themselves, because what is currently there belongs to Channel 10. Basically, they'll have to start from scratch.

That said, who knows. Now that David Gyngell is back at Nine, he seems to be trying to bring back some of the youth demographic. He's already announced that The Block will be back later this year. That might not seem like much, but it's a big step away from the too-mature network that Eddie McGuire tried to slap on us. If they do pick it up though (my bet is Endemol will deny them, though), we're not going to hear about it until later in the year.

But I stand by my comments that BB will be back on Ten in 2010, once analogue has been switched off and Ten begins multi broadcasting over digital. There'll be a whole lotta room in that schedule.

Endemols lease at Dreamworld ends at the end of '09. If Nine buy the rights to BB off Endemol, that includes the Dreamworld lot. Otherwise, until the lease is up, it's Endemols business what happens on that land. Remember though, if Nine do take on BB, they only get use of the land and the buildings attached to it. All of the other assets - cameras, mics, computers, furnishings, studio equipment etc - they have to supply all that themselves, because what is currently there belongs to Channel 10. Basically, they'll have to start from scratch.

That said, who knows. Now that David Gyngell is back at Nine, he seems to be trying to bring back some of the youth demographic. He's already announced that The Block will be back later this year. That might not seem like much, but it's a big step away from the too-mature network that Eddie McGuire tried to slap on us. If they do pick it up though (my bet is Endemol will deny them, though), we're not going to hear about it until later in the year.

But I stand by my comments that BB will be back on Ten in 2010, once analogue has been switched off and Ten begins multi broadcasting over digital. There'll be a whole lotta room in that schedule.

What he said.

Read Rory Callaghan's lips: ESS hasn't decided yet if it is going to pitch BB to networks other than Ten or just sit on it for a year. That decision won't happen until later in the year. Until then nothing is confirmed, not even considered.

If ESS decides it's going to sell it, then we'll see if networks are interested. The signs are that they won't be interested, but it's hard to judge when we don't know how much is truth and how much is smoke signals.

I still feel that, if BB become available at a bargain price, if a network could see a place for it in its schedule (particularly on HD) and if they are confident of attracting sponsors to whatever demographic they decide to pitch it at, BB has a chance of returning. But those IFs are all massive IFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back