Skip to main content

Talk to Timdormer (yes it's really me)

I will butt in as I am lurking at work.... There is absolutely NO commercial music what so ever! Literally nothing can even be hummed etc. It just about makes you go crazy, when we were lucky Big Brother would put on their own mix for a minute or two.

Which would include my fav song " I got the money money money, " rap type silly song.
But they played "fancy" the other night in the diary room and they danced. Are you telling me they added that in later?

is it a huge cost?

I'm not sure how it works tbh. The Block uses so much commercial music, The Block is an in-house nine production, yeah? So Nine recognise the power of popular music.

Perhaps it's Endemol who either aren't willing to get music rights or they are seriously standing on an ideology.

I'm not sure how it works tbh. The Block uses so much commercial music, The Block is an in-house nine production, yeah? So Nine recognise the power of popular music.

Perhaps it's Endemol who either aren't willing to get music rights or they are seriously standing on an ideology.
just seems so weird to me. I can only take a stab at this, but aybe they have chosen to do it this way so that hms don't hum and sing tunes to keep themselves entertained and find other ways to do so... though that doesn't explain no music at all when they have parties other than their one song they play on repeat

They may have bought the rights to the music for specific shows.

Like some artists, producers, record labels etc. may not want to be associated with Big Brother.

It takes a lot of effort to organise copyright releases for commercial music, often the record label will want money if it's for TV. I think the reason The Block has heaps is because its in house and channel 9 has deals with Sony BMG and probably others so they can get it released much easier than a production company. The Today Show always uses commercial music when going to/coming back from ad breaks, so I think it would be a similar set up.

Hi Tim, I was unsure about you going in at first, but it was awesome. I like how you stirred the pot and immediately brought to the surface what could've taken weeks to come up. Thank you. I think you should work for the show. You have good ideas and stuff.

They may have bought the rights to the music for specific shows.

Like some artists, producers, record labels etc. may not want to be associated with Big Brother.
channel 9 has blanket coverage to use songs, there is probably some other rule about using music in house than overlay or some shit, knowing Apra

BBUK literally has the best copyright deals in the BB world I think.. I remember the week that Lady Gagas song "Applause" was launched, almost 2 days later the song was used.

My guess is that they have to organise copyright permission ahead of time, and if a HM just randomly sings a song then they have to either get permission or not air it. And if a HM is doing something they want to air but can't air it because they're singing, well that would suck.

If BB plays music themselves then it's because they have permission. The HM's can't play their own music because it's part if the being cut off from the outside world.

The Block isn't the same premise as BB, therefore they can sing.

Back